God Blight - Guilliman VS. Mortarion

Prot

To make other books more exciting by erasing the uneventful ending of the Crusade and to make the current events more cohesive?

For example they can retcon Dark Imperium 1 so that Calgar is Primaris. This ties in better with the Vigilus campaign from 8th edition.

I remember you abrasively accusing me of not knowing the difference between a setting and story, but now you're saying they will change the plot to have Calgar cross the Rubicon? Even though you've also just said they won't be doing that.

Yeah, I'm off to bed.

It makes no difference to the story if he's Primaris or not.

That's simply a detail to tie it in better with other books.

I don't even know if they'll do that because the events might now take place prior to Vigilus.

Calgar isn't much in Dark Imperium, how does that affect the story?

The story is the progression of events of the novel. Calgar being Primaris or not, or even whether it's at the end of the Crusade or the end of the first arc doesn't actually affect the real story of Dark Imperium or Plague Wars. But it does affect the setting, which is why they made the decision! I don't understand why this is a difficult concept.

Story and setting are completely conceptually different items.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Personally think that changing the time period is the best thing BL could have done in terms of future story telling potential. The opening of the eye was Chaos's and Abbadon's crowning achievement, and then he simply appears briefly in Vigilus and that's it for the rest of the centuries spanning Indomitus Crusade? 

It's been a while since I read the Plague War novels but I'm struggling to think of any parts that will be dramatically affected by this?

Guilliman does note that there he is exhausted and slightly aged by the Crusades conclusion, but changing that to he is exhausted and slightly aged by the ongoing crusade doesn't feel like that huge a change. 

As stated though it's just personal opinion, we all get triggered by different things. 

Very much looking forward to Big G vs Morty round 2 and Guilliman's thoughts on the Lectitio Divinitatus. 

I think people are reading too much into the update. It is probably just little details. Remember that when DI first came out, they had not yet established that existing Marines could be upgraded to Primaris. Later they upgraded Calgar and released him for Vigilus. This created a conflict since it made it unclear when Vigilus was set. Now DI is set during the Crusade, we know that Calgar will cross the Rubicon, it just hasn't happened yet.

One of the big complaints when 8th was released was that the timeline jumped straight to the end of the Indomitus Crusade. Now the "current" time (if there is such a thing) is somewhere during the Crusade.

I am looking forward to DI3. The most interesting revelations for me in the last book were

that the Emperor is becoming more active in the Warp. Guilliman's return seems to have allowed him to go back on the offensive. Also, Guilliman's faith in the Emperor's secular nature seems to be wavering as he has tracked down an original copy of Lorgar's Lectitio Divinitatus.

I think people are reading too much into the update. It is probably just little details. Remember that when DI first came out, they had not yet established that existing Marines could be upgraded to Primaris. Later they upgraded Calgar and released him for Vigilus. This created a conflict since it made it unclear when Vigilus was set. Now DI is set during the Crusade, we know that Calgar will cross the Rubicon, it just hasn't happened yet.

One of the big complaints when 8th was released was that the timeline jumped straight to the end of the Indomitus Crusade. Now the "current" time (if there is such a thing) is somewhere during the Crusade.

I am looking forward to DI3. The most interesting revelations for me in the last book were

that the Emperor is becoming more active in the Warp. Guilliman's return seems to have allowed him to go back on the offensive. Also, Guilliman's faith in the Emperor's secular nature seems to be wavering as he has tracked down an original copy of Lorgar's Lectitio Divinitatus.

I agree, but to me something shook Guilliman earlier....

Back when he first went back to Terra with the assistance of Cypher, and Yvraine he ends up seeing the Emperor. What ever transpired between the Emperor and Guilliman shook him. I personally took it that he was feeling more a 'tool' than a son, and had a sense of dejection, and dread. 

I also think of Saturnine and how the Emperor is depicted by his closest allies over the millennia. (I won't spoil that stuff just in case) But in my mind this further cements the reality that Guilliman is confronted with in the current timeline. 

This is something I've been wondering about throughout DI and also with the Psychic Awakening Faith and Fury.

Is the Emperor becoming a God? Or are current Big E flexing events typical of Warhammer lore?

I only got into the hobby last year and there's a lot to work through. 

I'm just wondering as AoS has at least one god of 'Order' is 40k following suit? 

Is the Emperor becoming a God? Or are current Big E flexing events typical of Warhammer lore?

We don't really know at this point, the Dark Imperium series is teasing us on this point. The lore has had that the Emperor is slowly failing for a long time. Even back in 1st edition there was speculation on what might happen in the future. Ian Watson't "Inquisition War" trilogy fleshed out the concept the Starchild (which was originally listed in one the early Chaos books ironically). The Starchild has not been mentioned since 3rd edition so it is debatable if it is cannon or not but it gives intriguing hints of the Emperor's soul ascending to some divine status.

The Emperor has not gotten involved much in the past. There have been Imperial Saints ever since the Horus Heresy and some people have claimed to be guided by visions of the Emperor. However, calming section of the Warp to grant the Indomitus fleets swift passage seems to be something new. Mortarion and Ku'Gath's conversation in Plague Wars seems to back this up. They did not expect the Emperor to become an active player in this way. His style in the past seems to have been to act on the individual scale to guide certain people to desired outcomes or to intervene through individuals with faith in him. Plague Wars implies he is starting to challenge the Chaos Gods on their own turf and no one (in Universe or out of it) really knows what the implications of that are.

One thing we do know is that the Emperor remains on the Golden Throne through choice. One speculation that has developed prior to 8th edition was that the Emperor was basically trapped on the Golden Throne, unable to regenerate, reincarnate or ascend to godhood. DI strongly implies that this is not the case. The Emperor was able to communicate directly with Guilliman and did not ask him to pull the plug. One of the Black Library authors mentioned that despite the unpleasantness of his predicament, the Emperor regards retaining a link to the material Universe as a crucial advantage over the Chaos Gods that he does not want to give up. It allows his consciousness to operate in linear time while the Chaos Gods are trapped in an eternal timeless paradox. This is how Slannesh has always existed in the Warp despite only being created by the Fall of the Eldar around M30.