Retaliation Protocols: Death Guard

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

Greetings honored Phaerons, nobles, Crypteks, and assorted Triarchal representatives, to this edition of Retaliation Protocols!

This as-needed convocation has been called to discuss the new development in the conflict with the warp forces known as the Death Guard. Relevant strategic intelligence is attached to this briefing file.

drnboEwO8nsaTukN.jpg

Retaliation Protocols were a tactics series I attempted to start up last edition but did not seriously lean into. However, I've decided to bring it back, and back with a vengeance. I will probably do this with new codexes as they come out, at least in response to major strategic changes and suchlike, or things that can substantially affect an entire army and every game.

Death Guard got a major defensive boost today with their new iteration of Disgustingly Resilient, effectively turning marines and terminators into mini-tanks. I think we could all benefit from discussing the best ways to adapt and react to these changes, such as which units are more or less effective now, different ways to use the usual units, and how we might change our strategies and tactics to counter them.

The floor is yours!

This affects my bring 10 guass flayer (GA), 50 gauss reapers (W) and 36 gausss blaster (TB) plan not at all. 

My wraiths suffer a little in the matchup, but they're mostly meatshield anyway. 

My Mephrit army is all abut buffing D1 weapons until they can threaten MEQ and vehicles.

Oh and the royal warden suffers I guess. 

Warriors. Lots of warriors. And watch them grumble as your hordes return on 5+ and there’s don’t.

Death guard vehicles are going to be the real pain. I personally already struggle in vehicle heavy match ups. I think Doomstalkers and doomsday arks will be underwhelming in the match up. Scythe lychguard are also neutered. Heavy locust destroyers will at least provide more consistent damage, but I think they cost too many points to be competitive.

Probably swamp with bodies and out grind them.

Warriors: check

Gauss Reapers: check

Warriors gettinng back up on 4/5+ rerollong 1s: check

Warriors being healed d3/d6 models every turn: check

Death guard friends tears: check

Loss of all death guard friends: check

All you need to do is peak your head into the deathguard section on the forums and see how much pissing an moaning is going on with this rule to feel better about it.

Other wise the -1 dmg isn’t the biggest deal with troops vs troops match up as necrons don’t have tons of multi dmg guns on the infantry. What you really need to over come is the t5 and 2w on the troops.

It really depends on how many points they cost, how poxwalkers turn out, and if the changes will see min or max or multiple death guard plague marine squads. Not to mention that they may STILL receive a 5+ FNP from another source. Such as an aura or strat. Having said that, I almost hate to use this but the best way to fighting rotting death is our own death. DG are slow...the nightbringer is slow. Let them meet in the middle and clash haha. At least we have something consistent to go on. No more swingy dice results for them. Skorpeks would be nice. a unit of 6 gets you 2 of the blades with damage 3. As for the terminators with 3 wounds....ouch. Maybe lokhust heavies are the best for them.