YannTheMad's chaos Stuff - DIY Vashtorr progress (claw's done! claw... claws?)

YannTheMad
Go to solution Solved by Dr. Clock,

@Firedrake Cordova Thank a lot. Than again, the master biologist would say: "Yeah, you really should inject yourself with that. It's hmmm... Good for you...?"

@Rusted Boltgun @Wormwoods I might just have been fed up with painting XD It's true that it's overall good looking

So mortals are finally done !

image.thumb.jpeg.d1b5b963b51beb199d7eca9de9563dac.jpeg

Here's a family picture. I'm sorry about the quality/bluriness, my camera isn't realy good

image.thumb.jpeg.1ac449632c1c72c79ed8e35ee948c6d2.jpeg

As you guys can see, the forgefiend is MASSIVE. but I like where this is going. I chose not to include my Warp Ghosts mercenaries because they wheren't really relevant to my dark mech force and it's been a great while since I hadn't touch them.

It never occur to me to post them, but here's some concept art for the next conversions. Some of you might be interested.

image.thumb.jpeg.6c497fc770b95ce96d52642b65676738.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.be18441be657e762cd5499d1e77ce552.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.86f14c7514caadab95dfe92096d43059.jpeg

So, left to right, we got:

- Warpsmith, inspired by the artwork of Gutrot Spume

- Some tech-thralls idea, flamer mask

- Vashtorr early pose and concept ideas, inspired by one of my non-warhammer drawing

- torments

Sorry, that post was kind of massive. Let me know what you guys are thinking.

Have a great week !

Really dig that Vashtor look, the 'little hands holding on the mask' is a really solid idea, very Mike Mignola! Great to see the sketches, honestly, it's fun to see how other people plan out their conversions! I've done a few sketches for my own, rare as they may be, but these days I tend to just wing it by dry-fitting and pinning stuff from the bits box until something begins to materialise. Given you're working on some much larger assemblages that's probably less viable. 

@Gnasher Thanks mate !

@Firedrake Cordova Thanks! Honestly I really like the "raven" techpriest too, but I don't know what role it will fill... Cultist champion maybe? 2nd demagogue? Just being a cool model but never see the tabletop? I really don't know XD But it'll get made for sure.

@Wormwoods I personaly have no choice but to make some sketches for my more complex conversions, just to retain good ideas and the overall "feel". The simpler ones like the cultists or the mutant never had much sketching, but the torments did.

@ZeroWolf Plastic and greenstuff most likely ;-) Maybe some aluminium foil too

I agree with @Firedrake Cordova about the green in the injector vials, I love how much it pops! Defo not good for longevity though...

I'd also say that you're certainly not a lousy painter! I would also identify as a lazy painter, however. I think it's all about finding simple tricks that yield a good effect for a lower effort. I rely on drybrushing, stippling and filters/washes for almost everything, for example. I also stuggle with wanting to build if I'm painting for too long though, so I tend to limit how many models I paint at a time!

Your concept drawings are really fantastic! I LOVE the beaked and hunched priest. 

@Pearson73 Thanks ! I'm must say I'm quite happy with going back to building, sculpting and converting ^^ Yeah, the raven priest might be the next one...

But for now, here's the warpsmith!

image.jpeg.511665811cd641b71f3a12378d55957e.jpegimage.jpeg.72e504d25369252efa35270293197faa.jpeg

It's quite an early WIP, but looking good so far I think. I really wanted to test my "torments legs" on a space marine, the scale seems just right.

I'm havng some ideas and some concept art for the Vashtorr base, but I'm keeping them to myself as a surprise ;-) It shall be gruesome :D

Let me know what you think about the warpsmith so far.

Have a great week!

@Wormwoods Thanks a lot. The cog collar was quite easy to achieve and is a good tie to the mechanicus theme. Would be great on iron hands too I'd guess.

Here's this week progress

image.jpeg.5d8543a96d5d5592c8782d56a0336f79.jpegimage.jpeg.a509c2ee94e019bc40e3039aeb040a46.jpegimage.jpeg.f3783cc834370cb4b9aa2d3c0556521e.jpeg

I'll have to add some details on the mechatendrils and the shoulder pad. And add the "power pack" and it should be done.

Let me know what you guys think.

Hve a great week!

Edited by YannTheMad

@Firedrake Cordova Thanks! Well I really wanted them to feel like they could be trashing/twitching around spastically. 

@ZeroWolf I don't know about that XD but I think it is more original at least. The GW one detail work is awesome, but I find the model somewhat soulless...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, 

so I've been a little distracted these last days, but here's the progress so far.

The warpsmith could have been finish by now, but I just wasn't feeling like sculpting greenstuff. The only thing missing is the robot half ofthe skull on the shoulder pad...

image.jpeg.4204f90aa172205e6e827cb709887db9.jpegimage.jpeg.27871e147bd0175deba0ab68685518ca.jpegimage.jpeg.0b824f714f6a82c0ba4d0ab20a319b74.jpegimage.jpeg.26eca3a14deddf6486b087d5a0186166.jpeg

While I'm not sure if I prefer my first one, I am satisfied with how this one turns out.

And Vasthorr (I'll have to come out with a custom name for it) is taking his first hovering steps.image.thumb.jpeg.d093da6512272b8771a3c3088e94a59b.jpeg

I'm quite happy with how the parts fit (talos hips, sentinel legs and warptalons wing-thing claws) and the scale of it so far. 

But it will be a looooong project, especially as I can be quite slow XD

Anyway, let me know what you guys think!

Have a great week! (or so)

@Firedrake Cordova Thanks mate

@Rusted Boltgun @Wormwoods Thanks guys! I don't feel pressure from the community tbh. But some of you just work soooo fast I kind of give me performance issues XD

Buuuut... It's going faster then I anticipated.

image.thumb.jpeg.476b84a15a3cbbb0c8e57883f0e23310.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cfc67378305d795c2a6ff9b00d78acde.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.694fca26ef961ded97c85dd5f3ad8702.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bbf12bc623e5de2cee5f736ba00dfb1d.jpeg

YAY! tin foil !

image.thumb.jpeg.56ef96c4bae254e770bb1d2185dc0683.jpeg

Juste for scale reference. Not-Vashtorr should be suitably tall. So far I'm happy with the early result. I want to make it real lean and almost more C'Tan like that chaos daemon like because neither machine or warp-being need to be bulky to be strong.

Also, from a lore standpoint it could actually BE Vashtorr itself, just using a different name (still not come with one) and taking a different apperance to better suit its follower idk.

Not super happy with the "floating on a flame", but didn't know how to make it levitate otherwise.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think! Or if you have any idea for that thing name/title

Have a great week!

image.jpeg

Ah, the screwed-up tin-foil makes an appearance! :laugh: 

It looks great - the cables came out very nicely, and I like little touches like the pock-marks in the tabard :thumbsup:

The greenstuff work on the axe haft of the middle model looks impressive, too :smile: 

@Firedrake Cordova Thanks a lot

So I hit my first problem this week.

I crafted a hand out of plasticard, wich turned out great looking but quite too big.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to make it smaller :-( So I'll have to make somthing else for the "secondary" hands.

image.jpeg.77bcbcac6cb2dfe745fe3791770432fa.jpeg

It would have been an ok size for the main hand, but it isn't the right side neither in the right position to hold the hammer.

Anyway, here's this week progress.

image.thumb.jpeg.553914471c3fd878468e9c10f0bcbe92.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c3df3603a91544bb17a8f689adf0d7fd.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.727c5424e8d048dbb7375f2d0cba02ce.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0cf9557b2b3390df6ed0a594a179fd57.jpeg

The servo-skulls are ideed really long to craft individually, waiting for the greenstuff to cure and all. Also, I'm not sur that 25 skulls for each wings will be enough...

Anyway, I wanna hear what you guys think about it so far. Also, I'll need a name for it.

Have a great week !

@Firedrake Cordova Yeah I was quite proud of that hand XD... Maybe I'll find another use for it one day. I tried casting with "bluestuff" a while back ans A- I don't like the results or B- I'm bad at it so I don't like the results. So casting won't be the solution for that problem XD

@Sherrypie Thanks mate ^^  To be honest, I'm really not a big fan of tails... And anyway the way the flames are made I can't take them  without scrapping the whole foot... So I'm kind of already committed I'm afraid.