Invuln aura?

superwill

Greetings battle brothers,

I am looking at running some big tanks or flyers in 9th, and trying to find some options for buffs now that so much has been reduced to “core” and “character”.

One buff I was looking for was the old deredeo’s 5++ invuln aura and I noticed that it no longer exists at all? The skyshield is still available but 120 points just to give a couple of models an invuln seems like it is overspending. Are there any other ways to pass on an invuln to a vehicle that people can think of? Including any army-specific options?

Also very interested in any other buffs we still have available. I know the techmarines +1 to hit ability is great, but is that the only boost outside of stratagems?

Thanks a lot guys

Much of this will depend on what Chapter you're playing.

Black Templar have a relic "Aurillian Shroud" that can give 4+ Invuln to all Core units within 6" for 1 turn.  This is a nice way to protect your Dreadnoughts.  Won't do anything for tanks or flyers though.  Flyers have no way of getting Invuln save that I know of; their defense is the -1 hit penalty they confer. 

Iron Hands librarian discipline I think has some vehicle buffing defenses.

You also have "Smokescreen" keyword for many of your old school Marine vehicles. 

Much of this will depend on what Chapter you're playing.

Black Templar have a relic "Aurillian Shroud" that can give 4+ Invuln to all Core units within 6" for 1 turn.  This is a nice way to protect your Dreadnoughts.  Won't do anything for tanks or flyers though.  Flyers have no way of getting Invuln save that I know of; their defense is the -1 hit penalty they confer. 

Iron Hands librarian discipline I think has some vehicle buffing defenses.

You also have "Smokescreen" keyword for many of your old school Marine vehicles. 

its just 3" but you can bring it to 6"

Psychic Fortress is probably your best bet. In my opinion, spending points to make other models slightly more resilient is a waste - you're better off spending those points on more of the thing you're trying to protect in the first place. 

The exception is when you can get sufficient units into the bubble to ignore wounds equal to the ones given by having another model, if that makes sense. Someoe did the maths and I think you needed like 6 units to be within an aura for it to be point efficient. 

Otherwise, a techmarine will do the same job, essentially, just in your movement phase instead of the opposing shooting.