General Opinion of these two Dreadnoughts

So Are Relic Contemptors and Leviathan Dreadnoughts still viable options in the current landscape of 40k? 

I am considering picking up a leviathan , and I have a Relic contemptor sitting on my to do list but I am trying to order the stuff I am working on. 

Contemptor still looks good to me. M8", 9W, a 5++, Duty Eternal and a non-degrading statline make for a pretty decent unit for its points.

Ironically, the special weapon loadouts look less appealing in 9th edition. I would be tempted to go for a CCW and Multimelta as this weapon is the new hotness :wink: in 9th so putting it in a durable, mobile platform is a good choice. Add a CML for a bit of extra firepower and you are good to go.

If you magnetise the CML, this loadout has the advantage that you can run it as a codex-version of the Contemptor simply by removing the CML. You might decide you need to save the extra CP in some matches or you might be facing someone who is funny about FW units.

I would argue the standard Contemptor is better most of the time than the relic version - if you are taking the relic version, why not the Deredeo or the Leviathan? 220 gets you a pair of bombards and two twin volkite, and for the Deredeo you get the missile launcher, anvillus auto cannon and twin heavy bolter for 210.

Yeah, I'm in agreement with Karhedron and crazyterran. If you're not going for the special weapons on the Contemptor, I'd say just use the codex one.

Regarding the Leviathans: I haven't used the one I got for my Dark Angels yet, but OF COURSE it was one of the loadouts that got nerfed a bit (dual Grav-Flux bombards, because I went for a fluffy loadout :lol:)

I often play with a Relic Contemptor armed with 2 hvy plasma cannons and Cyclone. Its 165 points. The other relic dreads are going to cost 220-250 depending on weapons, for the most optimal setups

I like blast plasma flat damage. Its substantially smaller than the other as well.

Its pretty easy to keep this guy out of range of a lot of threats while also moving into position with full 8in move until he dies

I have a high aversion to degraded profiles.

If you often run a techmarine the deredeo with volkites is a real monster. But understand that both the deredeo and levi explode @6" for d3 mortals...the contemptor is 1 at 3"

I've played a lot of 9th edition and this is just a playstyle I try to implement which I'll explain.

I choose units to field based on how much overkill I can force my opponent to use on them. I also try to keep everything that isnt involved in my key strategy to the 150ish or lower point range.

Most decent dedicated AT units can kill all three of these with the same effort. Good examples are 3 Eradicators, slaanesh Autocannon havocs, obliterators & plas/las leman russ tank aces. They all have the ability to 1 round these dreads but pose huge risk of not killing them if they try to split fire.

Edited by Debauchery101

Twin Volkite relic contemptors look pretty sexy. I run 1-2 deredeo dreds for fun and they do Ok, great for mulching marines because the auto cannons and heavy bolters are 2 damage. Havent used the Levi Dread since its nerf but the storm cannons have decent range now so they can hang back with a tech marine more reliably.