BA vs DG - Prep and Batrep (coming Sunday)

Morticon

Nice! Really keen to see how this goes on!

I agree the DG list was not optimised. Morty, while great is a significant points-sink. Apart from him, the list has some-of-everything in it, which is usually not that good. 

Too bad you were unable to pop the Rhino after killing-off the Fleshmower. Still, they indeed distracted Morty.

About the missing DG character, I believe I see a Malignant Plaguecaster mini (the one with a fart spell coming out of his hand)

Thats the guy!! 

Yeah, i had to spread the DC too far to the left to get onto the objective, so i coudlnt get to the rhino and the Drone. Would have been icing though! Because he used the rhino well

I chose the BA one to get into enemy deployment zone, the mission secondary where i had to hold two of my home objectives and 1 or 2 of his at the start of my command phase and then scramblers. 

Synergized really well. 

He chose Raise the Banners, Grind them Down and Domination!

Nice report so far. By the way, exhortation of rage was changed in the newest SM codex. It's no longer exploding 6's, its +1 to wound for a CORE or CHAR unit in melee (so doesn't stack with red thirst, unless they have -1 to wound). Unleash rage is the only way for BA to get exploding 6's now.

Cannot believe how many smal mistakes I've been mmaking recently.  Legit blwoing my mind.  Thanks for all the catches guys- helps with stuff going forward. 

Guess  Mantra and +1 to hit will be best going forward.  

In turn 2 of the DG player's game, he launched his counter.  

Thankfully, I had more objectives at this point, so he only got 10 primary points.  However, I had only killed 2 units, so he needed to make light work of three to get his Grind points.   

The pace of the game had been firmly dictated by my first turn movements, so his options for counter were somewhat limited. 

He moved Morty centrally, to reinforce the middle ground and the right flank.  

He moved the character units that were in the Rhino towards the objective with the aim of raising the banner there, and then moved the plague marines forward to charge and take the Incursors off the objective. 

His plagues on the right flank moved down to counter the Vanguard and the Bladeguard. 

Added to that, I think he got about 5 or so Poxwalkers back from his squad with the strat, and they strung round onto the objective.  Depending on how well he did with the Plagues, he could possibly take that objective, leaving me with only 2 in my turn. 

He positioned his Rhino in a way that would tie up my Chaplain, my attack bikes and possibly even my libby - assuming he got a fair enough charge.  

In the charge phase he fumbled the right flank  plague marine roll (i think) and neede dto make use of the reroll. His Rhion then got in with everyone he wanted to. Unfortunately for him, he failed a relatively easy 6" charge with his left flank plagues on my incursors, leaving Morty to be forced to charge in.  (I forgot i had mines at this stage).

Morty killed 4 of the 5 Incursors, leaving the Sarge to fend for himself.

The Rhino had underestimated the Mantra Chap and with combined efforts from  him and the libby, I took the remaining 7 wounds off it. 

The plagues killed a few Vanguard, but not nearly enough.  The vanguard put all of their remaining attacks into the Poxies- and without the protection of Gloaming Boat (which they shouldnt have gotten anyway) they went down easily thanks to the claws. 

This was the turn for the pushback from the DG, but it was left wanting. 

In turn 3, I secured 10 more points from the Primary.  

I then moved my Libby sacrificially, hoping to get Nullzone off and bring as much firepower to bare as I could.  The rest of the right flank marched up, along with the chappy to engage the Plagues.  I pulled the vanguard back, so i could get some shots off on the plagues, taking down their numbers. 

I then used gueilla tactics to bring an Infiltrator squad into the back zone of the enermy, and get my 3rd scrambler point to secure 10points on the secondary, and then 4 points on my BA secondary.  

To add insult to his injury, i got off nullzone.  I took Morty down to just a handful of wounds (3 i think).  With 8 attacks coming from the attack bikes, and 5 from the libby force sword, i felt there was a chance to take him out. 

Iin the charge phase, the right flank was decimated.  The plagues were reduced to next to nothing, and characters were taken out too.  On the left flank, however, my one attack bike didnt make it into combat, the other whiffed, and the libby whiffed too - doing 2 wounds which were shrugged off.  

We-Chat-Image-20210126100241.jpg

Morty returned the hate and made light work of them. 

He then moved in his turn to engage with the Devs that had been trying to bring him down. 

We-Chat-Image-20210126100245.jpg

His last remaining charcter tried to hold up the infiltrators that had come out of reserve, but they werent going to be brought down easily.  

The whole upper and lower right flank was mine. 

While his plagues moved up on to the middle objective, it seemed too little, too late.

After shooting at my Devs, he was unable to get enough charge movement to get inside the terrain feature.  With this failure, it was all but over. 

Morty was taken down in the next turn, and with that, the enemy condeded to save time. 

We worked out what the score would have been, and it ended with 78-53 to the BA !!! 

Congratulations Mort!

A question about Guerilla Tactics - it puts a unit into reserve (as part of their move I guess, judging by the fact that it's 'when selected to move'), but does it mean you can then deploy them during the Reserves part of the same movement phase? It's not forbidden in the strat, so I guess you can?

Nice! Really keen to see how this goes on!

I agree the DG list was not optimised. Morty, while great is a significant points-sink. Apart from him, the list has some-of-everything in it, which is usually not that good.

Too bad you were unable to pop the Rhino after killing-off the Fleshmower. Still, they indeed distracted Morty.

About the missing DG character, I believe I see a Malignant Plaguecaster mini (the one with a fart spell coming out of his hand)

Bring Morty, but not build the whole list around Morty, is unacceptable. I think, in this DG list there are too many components which support among themselves, but cannot support Morty well.

A question about Guerilla Tactics - it puts a unit into reserve (as part of their move I guess, judging by the fact that it's 'when selected to move'), but does it mean you can then deploy them during the Reserves part of the same movement phase? It's not forbidden in the strat, so I guess you can?

I think you can. Reinforcements arrive after normal movement (which is when you would play the strat) and the strat does not preclude it.

Is there any wording saying that only units that started the turn in Tactical Reserves can come on as reinforcements? I have been flipping through the rules but I can't see such a restriction anywhere so I think this is legal.

Indeed, the unit goes immediately into strategic reserves, which can then be set up in the reinforcement step of your second movement phase onwards. The clear distinction between movement and reinforcement steps, and the lack of clause saying "in your next turn" a la Wings of Fire make this un-arguable. Not a bad idea to do something like sling a backfield camping infiltrator unit into your opponents DZ in turn 3...I guess if you had opposing units in your own DZ/within 1" of an edge, you could appear in combat :teehee:

Edited by Xenith

Is there anything you would change in your list after facing DG?

How did you like the heavy melta eradicators? MM attack bikes still better?

The Heavy erads are so so so good for DG- the ability to have a minimum of 3 damage at 24" and a min of 5 dam at 12" is SO good considering their -1 dam ability. Coupled with a Chappy with +1 to hit, i think you're gold here. Well worth the 15 points.

The attack bikes ARE great however, and I feel I'd like to consider 3x3 of them at some stage!

Horses for courses though- bt, maybe if i had the models, id considerer the bigger squads.

Congratulations Mort!

As noted above, the wording of it is such that it allows us to do this.  

We move them into reserve in the movement phase, and may deploy them in the reserve phase- it may not be intended, but its how it ispresented at the moment!

So, smoke em if you got em

Indeed, the unit goes immediately into strategic reserves, which can then be set up in the reinforcement step of your second movement phase onwards. The clear distinction between movement and reinforcement steps, and the lack of clause saying "in your next turn" a la Wings of Fire make this un-arguable. Not a bad idea to do something like sling a backfield camping infiltrator unit into your opponents DZ in turn 3...I guess if you had opposing units in your own DZ/within 1" of an edge, you could appear in combat :teehee:

This is essentially it!