New death guard and viable options without Mortarion

angrom

Hi All,

So I am trying to evaluate what are our best options for different playstyle without using Mortarion.

Overall the codex seems to be geared around short range shooting and efficient melee.

In that regard terminator looks good but are also in a weird spot if teleported as they will have no impact on turn 1 and without a boost to charge will

randomly be effective on turn 2, also their melee damage potential output is worst than other units such as 10 man plague marines or possessed

so I would play my terminator as an anvil rather than a hammer.

As such should we start make them run up the field to soak the shots and protect our other units?

Also beside plagueburst tanks our long range firepower is laking.

I know that we are sulking the forge world dread because of their recent changes but when we look at them with our new rules (especially the Inexorable and our no neg to shoot in combat).

the -1 T and contagion aura that provide extra -1 ap

suddenly makes storm cannon wound any T8 on 4+ and T4 marines on 2+ with ap2 or 3 for deredeo

Also the Leechspore casket is perfect on a daemon prince with sword to regenerate wounds on our dreds.

So what about 2 Deredeo with cannons and heavy bolters and one leviathan with storm cannon and volkite as a base for firepower?

Deredeos will be 16 shots S7(S8 equivalent) ap3, Dmg 2 in contagion range and 12 S5 (equivalent 6) ap2  Dmg 2

The leviathan will be 16 shots S7 (S8 equivalent) ap2, Dmg 2 and 3 hunter killer missiles.

If you combine that with 3 drones and the prince do deliver pain deep in opponent ranks and apply our contagion I think this can be solid?

Could add 10 possessed with cloud of flies running up behind the drones for some melee support with a putrifier for the mortals?

I think x2 melee levi's would be great for DG, you are moving up anyways with the infantry and the points are apparently not that bad for a pure melee loadout. Only problem is material legacy, costing you a CP, so that's minus 2 CP. I wouldn't dock myself more than -3 CP for FW units. A FW LoW will cost 4 I think (-3 from detachment, -1 material legacy).