dark angels 2000 points. revenge of excelsior TAC

aura_enchanted

this is not a competitive list, need to get that done right off the top, but its an interesting loophole that before didnt really fit, but now that we are here may i present to you, how to get super punchy terminators. i also want to apologize in advance for bringing my legends units back, i know you guys dont like it but my love for the excelsior exists beyond the power of words

1 extra relic (-1cp)

1 sgt relic (-1cp)

1 warlord trait (-1cp)

patrol detachment:

hq:

primaris techmarine (90), extra trait brilliant strategist

troops:

1x5 intercessors, sgt with chainsword and plasma pistol, relic attonement (105)

fast:

1x5 bike squad, 1 plasma gun, sgt with power sword, 3 chainswords (165)

1x5 interceptors, plasma exterminators (275)

elite:

ravenwing apothecary, chief apothecary, armor indomnitus (115)

ravenwing champion, chapter champion, artificers armor (85)

heavy:

1x3 eradicators (135)

fly:

dark talon (210)

vanguard detachment

hq:

land raider excelsior (225), warlord, lay low the mighty, deathwing vehicle

elite:

1x5 relic terminators, 4 lightning claws, 1 power sword, 1 grenade hardness, 3 combi bolters, 1 reaper autocanon, 1 plasma blaster (185)

1 redemptor dreadnaught, deathwing vehicle, macro plasma, onslaught gatling cannon, 2 storm bolters, icarus rockets (200)

1x5 deathwing terminators, 3 thunder hammers and shields, 1 chainfist, 1 cyclone missile launcher  (220)

i have flexibility in how i choose to deploy my terminators, swapping between brawly hammers or slicing claws in the land raider depending on the circumstance and matchup

the land raider is legal, he is a character natively, and then he buys deathwing so he is now a deathwing character, i have individual plasma guns all over so if/when the inceptors die i have other units i can drop it on, varying from the intercessors to the champion. they are nowhere near as good but it makes it a lot harder to remove it entirely as a threat from the table by removing the inceptors

the dark talon helps soften up targets,

basically the core idea is to have the land raider move up, tanking damage with the techmarine following him behind providing repairs, and with a few units like eradicators and intercessors to screen for him. driving up the table along side is the lovely bikes, and i have the inceptors, 1 squad of terminators and a dark talon on the bench as i need them.

i have just a good solid list, i have very good to excellent monster hunting power, i have a beefy hq that is really good in a shootout, and rugged enough to survive almost all melee smash foes. i have good elite infantry kill sort of spread around, lots of bodies. my magic defense is a weakness and that i will own up too, but i tend to avoid playing against craftworlds and thousand sons as sort of a reflexive post traumatic experience where magnus single handedly wiped out my entire army once in 7th edition, and i've had quite enough of the craftworld big book of rule lawyering  so it was less of an issue anyway.

i have also managed to achieved a triple wing list that is kind of wholesome, with 4 units from each wing

i think i have a winner here, comments?

Edited by Brother Tyler
Tags edited

Do you mean "Inexorable" for the WL Trait? i.e. the new DW specific trait that gives -1 Dmg to attacks on the Warlord?

well with lay low the mighty he gives the terminators inside himself dmg + vs monsters and +8w models, he's already pretty beefy. there's few things in the game that wont spend the entire game chipping at his wounds with a techmarine following him around. like im aware we have some whacky anti tank ordenance now, necrons and eradicators and retributor squads all coming to mind. but even with them it can be a tall order to do all at once. so we will see which i need more.

i have always been deathly afraid of super units like magnus or knights every since the awful time players like myself had in escalation, and then again in 7th edition when wrath of magnus dropped and suddenly we had a god king walking amongst us wiping all before him, so taking anything that might give me even a small edge at breaking one of them down, or giving them pause. this has been my goal for multiple editions now as frankly its not much fun fighting a model that takes turns removing models and tables you slowly by itself. with this list i think now i finally have one im confident in here, even if its probably not the most points efficient use of my list like say more inceptors would be or a second dark talon, or black knights

Edited by aura_enchanted

What's the deal with the Land Raider Excelsior? Is it just that it's a character and you can give it a Warlord trait?

My immediate thought is that it would be better to field a Battalion rather than a Patrol and a Vanguard. You may be getting back the CP for the Vanguard, but you're still dropping 2 having the Patrol, and then you're also spending 3 pre-game. That plus the points you're spending to upgrade the Excelsior and the Redemptor to Deathwing Vehicles is kind of a steep opportunity cost. You're not afraid to mix Firstborn and Primaris units. Why not field 3 bare-bones Tactical Squads? You'd need to cut a few things, but you might be able to get back a good chunk of those points by dropping upgrades here and there. Even if you have to cut a whole unit to make it work, I think it'd be worth your while.

What's the deal with the Land Raider Excelsior? Is it just that it's a character and you can give it a Warlord trait?

My immediate thought is that it would be better to field a Battalion rather than a Patrol and a Vanguard. You may be getting back the CP for the Vanguard, but you're still dropping 2 having the Patrol, and then you're also spending 3 pre-game. That plus the points you're spending to upgrade the Excelsior and the Redemptor to Deathwing Vehicles is kind of a steep opportunity cost. You're not afraid to mix Firstborn and Primaris units. Why not field 3 bare-bones Tactical Squads? You'd need to cut a few things, but you might be able to get back a good chunk of those points by dropping upgrades here and there. Even if you have to cut a whole unit to make it work, I think it'd be worth your while.

ill explain its whole purpose, brace yourself i kinda dont type in a way that is concise, ill do my best to short hand it

deathwing want to punch, very good at punching things, but deathwing cannot get to enemy very good with feet or deep strike

deathwing also want to hold objective spot, very good at holding objective spot

land tank can help deathwing get to fight so can punch and objective spot very good

but tank normally very expensive, 285 points for one tank, and need leader to give prio.. to make better at sitting on objective

land raider excelsior cheapest land raider, also is leader, so now i have both problems solved in 1 model, and i save points!

buuut land raider is also legends unit, people no like him much cause of that. but i love him cause hes got surprise value, and flexibility and not die to random assassin attempts with deepstrike energy weapons, or sniper rifles. alsoi can take warlord trait if u give him deathwing

excelsior also projects aura further then captain man, that is good