Primaris Deathwing ideas?

GenerationTerrorist

Hi all.

I absolutely love the new Codex Supplement and am overchuffed that I can play pure Deathwing or Ravenwing lists without being penalised in terms of CP and ObSec.

However, I wonder if any of you are as stumped for choice as regards Primaris and Deathwing.

If I wanted to create a Primaris-Only Successor Chapter, the options for creating a Ravenwing list are pretty solid, with Outriders, ATV's and the new Storm Speeders.

There just doesn't seem to be as much variety to create a Deathwing that is all-Primaris. Unless I am missing something obvious, I'd be limited to Bladeguard/Ancient, Redemptor Dreads and a maximum of 2 Repulsors.

Sure, that would be competitive enough, but wouldn't it get stale and boring after a while?

With the "Firstborn" version of Deathwing, there are literally dozens of list configurations. Is this just a case of waiting it out for another edition until contemplating a Deathwing made purely of Primaris?

(I'm not moaning at all, but am a sucker for the colour scheme and background and would like to start this as a side project with the appropriate units from Indomitus!)

Yes, it is pretty limiting right now, I know we brought it up some when it was first introduced.

Even for the Ravenwing, the Primaris elements are somewhat supplementary, if going for a full force of RW/DW, then you're probably going to have to play a mixed-force right now. I don't have the book yet, but everything I've seen so far looks like GW expects you to have both 'Firstborn' and Primaris if you're really going to run with these formations like that.

So for now, I think you're going to have to wait a while and see what they do. You can get a force on the table, but it's going to be pretty limiting. We're definitely not close to being 'replaced' so to say.

For those of us playing with and working on both though, this is like Christmas, it's so exciting.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Remember you can field Primaris Masters and Lieutenants with MCPS/SS as Deathwing too. Main issue really is that you can only have 3 squads of BGVs, though given that you can slap 6 in a squad it's not too big an issue. Repulsor/Impulsor mech obsec BGVs with Redemptor support will do a pretty good job, though you'll probably find yourself lacking in the backfield. 

Could be fun as Hero Hammer though. 

How open are you to Crusade?

Page 54 and 55 offer some interesting narrative ways to add units into your Deathwing.  Inauguration gives non-character units that kill a fallen the inner circle keyword or be upgraded to a Deathwing or Ravenwing unit.  Inner Circle gives characters the option to be inducted and get the keyword.  And the lion and the wolf is a way to turn an infantry or bike units into a veteran version of the same unit (+1A), only down side to this one is that you are upgrading the unit 1 model at a time.

Looks to be a fun way to play Deathwing in a non-tournament setting.

How open are you to Crusade?

Page 54 and 55 offer some interesting narrative ways to add units into your Deathwing.  Inauguration gives non-character units that kill a fallen the inner circle keyword or be upgraded to a Deathwing or Ravenwing unit.  Inner Circle gives characters the option to be inducted and get the keyword.  And the lion and the wolf is a way to turn an infantry or bike units into a veteran version of the same unit (+1A), only down side to this one is that you are upgrading the unit 1 model at a time.

Looks to be a fun way to play Deathwing in a non-tournament setting.

Sadly, with everything going on at the moment, I have only had a few games of 9th Edition.

I'm hoping to get a Crusade going when things allow at our local club, so will look into building and using an all-Primaris Deathwing that way.

Great idea, thanks :thumbsup: