Marked for Command: Worth it?

Berzul

So, simple question.

Do you guys think Marked for Command is worth the CP?

We can give a piece of enhanced wargear to either the sergeant of the DWKs or the RWKs. Considering the utility of both models, and the availability of items you can take for this stratagem, I am thinking that perhaps the most useful thing to do would be to take a Master Crafted Flail of the Unforgiven.

Since the damage from this weapon carries over from model to model, adding an extra point of damage there sure seems useful. Using it as an opener against a unit that has already suffered some wounds seems like a good way to clear out damaged models and leave the full ones for the Maces of Absolution to clear, later.

A Knight Master, on the charge, with the Cup of Retribution, could deal 5 attacks at 2+ (re-rolling, due to the Chaplain that goes with him to bring the Cup of Retribution). You could use a Commanding Oratory to apply Exhortation of Rage in the same turn, despite having used the Cup of Retribution first. That would make the model +1 to would, when in most scenarios he would be already at a 3+. 

So, thats 5 attacks hitting at a re-rolling 2+, wounding on a 2+, with D3 that carries over.

Thats a potential 15 wounds on a unit that are applied in full, regardless of unit composition or W characteristics.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

Are there other options you guys think are worth the points?

While not playing Dark Angels anymore, I find it would be pretty fluffy (and practical) for the Knight-Master to be given either a Heavensfall Blade, or a Blade of Triumph.

That being said, is it worth it? Hell no. I'd probably give the relic to a strikemaster, and call it a day.  

I was thinking of giving Atonement to a devastator Sgt in a plasma cannon squad, for a surprise combo with WftDA, Signum and armorium cherub. Maybe not the beat use of the strategem but the look on your opponents face will be priceless.

Master crafting the flail does sound like an interesting option.  I do however expect most player to reply like Skywrath.  But I suspect that has more to do with all of the other items that they include in their list as opposed to it being a terrible upgrade.

If you are planning on fielding 5-6 Characters (HQ and Elite) spread across multiple detachments, and all of those characters upgraded with some combination of Relic, Warlord Trait and/or Chapter Command, then adding a 7th “character” with a master crafted flail is likely spending far too much of your CP before the game starts.

On the other hand you are fielding a single detachment with 1-2 characters, then a 3rd “character” with a master crafted flail isn’t spending to much CP.

Master crafting the flail does sound like an interesting option.  I do however expect most player to reply like Skywrath.  But I suspect that has more to do with all of the other items that they include in their list as opposed to it being a terrible upgrade.

If you are planning on fielding 5-6 Characters (HQ and Elite) spread across multiple detachments, and all of those characters upgraded with some combination of Relic, Warlord Trait and/or Chapter Command, then adding a 7th “character” with a master crafted flail is likely spending far too much of your CP before the game starts.

On the other hand you are fielding a single detachment with 1-2 characters, then a 3rd “character” with a master crafted flail isn’t spending to much CP.

The blue bit. I'm not opposed to the idea of that strategem being bad per-se (and as you pointed out that 3 damage flail is pretty interesting), it's just that for 1CP, there are better options. That being said, if I personally find a relic interesting, I'm definitely not opposed to the idea of trying to make it work.  

Edited by Skywrath

The blue bit. I'm not opposed to the idea of that strategem being bad per-se (and as you pointed out that 3 damage flail is pretty interesting), it's just that for 1CP, there are better options. That being said, if I personally find a relic interesting, I'm definitely not opposed to the idea of trying to make it work.  

I agree, Sammie is better, a Talonmaster is better, a Ravenwing Apothecary is better, a Ravenwing Ancient is better, a Primaris Chaplain on bike is better, and another Talonmaster is better, the list goes on and on.  But my point is that having 6 characters is worse than having 5 characters, is worse than having 4 characters, etc.  Squads are better than characters, because characters shine when they make squads better, and most characters fall flat on their face when they have to go it alone.  And also because you've likely already spent 6+ of your CP before the game started.

And so if in your brazenness to beat the meta you are willing to forgo most characters in favor of squads, especially in a DW army where you are already at a points disadvantage with your units, and superfluous characters only exacerbates that disadvantage.  In the situation where you have restrained yourself to the 2 characters that are essential to your plan, and have only spent 2 or 3 of your CP before the game, then yes in that moment of constraint master crafting the flail is actually prudent.  Because you aren't trying to force in another character that you have to spend additional resources to make effective.  You are simply taking an existing unit from your list and making it more potent.

I agree, Sammie is better, a Talonmaster is better, a Ravenwing Apothecary is better, a Ravenwing Ancient is better, a Primaris Chaplain on bike is better, and another Talonmaster is better, the list goes on and on.  But my point is that having 6 characters is worse than having 5 characters, is worse than having 4 characters, etc.  Squads are better than characters, because characters shine when they make squads better, and most characters fall flat on their face when they have to go it alone.  And also because you've likely already spent 6+ of your CP before the game started.

And so if in your brazenness to beat the meta you are willing to forgo most characters in favor of squads, especially in a DW army where you are already at a points disadvantage with your units, and superfluous characters only exacerbates that disadvantage.  In the situation where you have restrained yourself to the 2 characters that are essential to your plan, and have only spent 2 or 3 of your CP before the game, then yes in that moment of constraint master crafting the flail is actually prudent.  Because you aren't trying to force in another character that you have to spend additional resources to make effective.  You are simply taking an existing unit from your list and making it more potent.

Well, I came across the idea exaclty because I am planning a tournament tri-wing list, where I only have 2 HQs and 2 additional characters (an Ancient and an Apothecary).

The list has a 10-man squad of DWKs, with a DW Ancient for the Pennant of Remembrance, an Apothecary (barebones and with no upgrades) to give them the 6+++ and bring them back, as well as an Interrogator with Rites of War and the Cup of Retribution for Objec. Securted, attack rerolls, the +1A, and a +1 to wound through litanies. It is a block of the army I have already heavily invested in, and is meant to act as a big unit that negates a piece of the board from my opponent throughout the match. 

In this context, I am already spending 2 CPs (to give the IC Hero of the Chapter and the extra relic) from a total of 12 at 1750 (which is the match size). I am only spending one more CP (for Paragon of the Chapter to give a second trait to my company master, who is a smash master with Imperium's Sword and Stubborn Tenacity). So, 3/12 is not much. I feel like I can go another CP and start the fight at 8, so the Flail of the Unforgiven can be D3.

I thought about putting reliquary of the repentant on some black knights to make them a beefy unit that can pick on targets in melee

I also thought about giving the key of archbabel to a desthwing knight sgt for added smash

Sadly, Marked For Command restricts you to the following wargear: 

• Master-crafted Weapon
  • Digital Weapons
  • Atonement
  • Bolts of Judgement

As many have mentioned, Master-crafted probably has the most utility as giving +1D somewhere would be quite nice. Flail of the Unforgiven is an obvious choice, but when you realise that you can give Master-crafted to any sergeant, things could get interesting. For example, a Master-crafted Hurricane bolter on a Centurion Devastator Sergeant. Or one normal and one Master-crafted Plasma exterminator on an Inceptor Sergeant...you get the picture.

Digital Weapons can be a useful source of mortal wounds, but I'm not sure you'd invest 1CP in it. Bolts of Judgement might be good to take on a character with some sort of bolt pistol, as you could use them to finish off a character in melee. A Bladeguard Veteran Sergeant might be a good option here as you'd expect them to be not just in melee, but also trying to take down important characters. 

Atonement I think Syphid had a sensible idea, but with one modification: you can give your Hellblaster Sergeant a plasma pistol...

I think that 1CP on top of what you're already likely to spend pre-game feels a lot, but I wonder if there's an option for some different builds here - i.e. adding a bit more potency to an average unit as a way to surprise your opponent and make them underestimate the threat. For example, you have a simple Assault Intercessor squad controlling an area of the board. You're charged in by some 2W models, who think that you'll just be swinging back with regular Astartes chainswords. However, you can then use Line Unbreakable to blunt their initial attack, and then swing back with your 5 Master-crafted chainsword attacks that you get +1 to hit from Grim Resolve. 

Just a thought.