Australian Spider named after Abaddon the Despoiler

grailkeeper

Well not technically a spider, an arachnid. I think this is pretty cool. Looks suitably 40k.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/03/06/meet-the-australian-arachnid-named-after-the-warmaster-of-chaos/

I hope this gets some in universe recognisition- maybe Abaddon has a few as pets, or the guy who named it appears as a tech priest.

Its in need of conservation. Someone on FB mentioned it might be cool if GW set up a small fund for it. Maybe they're optimistic but it would be nice.

Edited by grailkeeper

I like the fact that he specifies that these arachnids are (h)armless :D

Jokes aside, these kind of things are always cool, but I wonder how does the taxonomy of arachnids work, considering the researcher could give it both the family and species name.

Edited by Elzender

As a spider/arachnid enthusiast, this is adorable. :biggrin.:

Fun fact, there are also two spider species by the names of Skeletorus and Sparklemuffin. But those two are the "given" names, not the scientific names, since they both belong to the "Maratus" genus, so they both have names starting with it.

This guy on the other hand discovered an entirely new genus, which means that not only does he get to make the actual scientific name "Abaddon Despoliator" but also that from now on, any newfound spider that belongs to the same genus will have a name starting with "Abaddon".

And if that's not just absolutely wonderful then I don't know what is.

Edited by DeadFingers

I'm terrified of spiders lol. Bad enough I didnt even look at picture but got my wife to have a look and she was suitably impressed with how imposing it was lol

Adrian Tchaikovsky's children of Time went a long way towards curing my arachnophobia. I read it on ADB's recommendation. He has something coming out for BL soon and I'm looking forward to it.  

I'll let you decide which one is more professional, but there'll be some confusion when that arachnid turns out not quite as calamitous as a biblical angel of destruction nor does it despoil things.

Now, everyone here probably knows Abaddon Despoilator makes perfect sense because it's referring to the original Abaddon model that infamously a.) started the back spike trend b.) had his arms fall off so was nicknamed "Harmless".

If there is confusion, it's only because not enough people in the world know about Warhammer 40,000 yet.

Therefore, solution: we must tell more people in the world about Warhammer 40,000.

I'm terrified of spiders lol. Bad enough I didnt even look at picture but got my wife to have a look and she was suitably impressed with how imposing it was lol

Adrian Tchaikovsky's children of Time went a long way towards curing my arachnophobia. I read it on ADB's recommendation. He has something coming out for BL soon and I'm looking forward to it.  

I'm reading "Children of Time" right now. Really good book! I'll make sure to look for the BL title.

It would be AMAZING if they made a unit based on this little thing. Some sort of war engine or whatnot.