Sybarite upgrades - worth it now?

ServoBadger

In honour of the new codex I feel the need to work on the Drukhari section of my pile of shame, and I have a squad of Kabalite Warriors still on sprue.

Now I was going to do them as two five-elf squads with nothing but rifles and a single Blaster, but is it worth kitting the Sybarite out with anything special this time around?

Honestly yes for one option. 

The Phantasm Grenade Launcher.  No seriously take it for every unit that can have one.  It no longer forces you to lose your Splinter rifle and force take the pistol+sword.  It's base profile is now what the 8th ed strategem does.

So it's an Assault D3 weapon and for every hit you score roll 2d6 if the total is greater than your opponents Leadership deal 1 MW to them.  Add in Venoms/Raiders with Grizzly Trophies for a stackable -2 LD bubble and we now have a very consistent mini smite.

Also if you do the Upgrade to a Master Archon and boost the Kabalites to Trueborn the Darklance is 100% monstrous.  36" range Str 8 Ap-4 Dd3+3 hitting on 2's cause Trueborn do not care about shooting penalties in the slightest.

Edited by SpiritFox22

Yes.  Agonizers going to -3 AP, with 3 attacks makes it worth it.  The Archon's Overlord works on shooting and melee, so double dip for maximum results.  The tradeoff on Power Swords is better to-wounds vs T3, but worse T5 or higher.

This is something I should consider too; until now I was very much of the opinion of "rifle and done". With charging in to finish units off etc being more viable an upgrade to help seal the deal wouldn't go amiss if you have the points?

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody get more playing time in to see if the sarge upgrades are worthwhile? Building a unit now and wanted to see what people thought before assembling the Sybarite.

The additional rifle seems preferable for a generally shooting unit intended to be in a transport or back line, but the new combat buffs to them and importance of driving chaff off objectives seems like the CC options could be viable.

I upgrade the Sybarite in one of my squads with Agonizer and Blast Pistol.  However, this is a function of being Obsidian Rose.  This squad is 20 strong, and therefore resilient enough to incur casualties, fail morale and make use of Failure is not an Option.  Even still, an Agonizer reroll to wound once per action is handy.

Anybody get more playing time in to see if the sarge upgrades are worthwhile? Building a unit now and wanted to see what people thought before assembling the Sybarite.

The additional rifle seems preferable for a generally shooting unit intended to be in a transport or back line, but the new combat buffs to them and importance of driving chaff off objectives seems like the CC options could be viable.

I think it is worth noting that you don't have to replace the Splinter Rifle in order to take a Power Sword or Agonizer.  If you are Poisoned Tongue or Obsidian Rose there is no reason not take an Agonizer on every Sybarite.  Maybe Black Heart can justify it by getting to 2+ to hit a turn early.  Certainly with Writ close by.