Wych Combat Drugs

jgascoine011

I'm sure someone can pop some mathematics in to cover best builds/support/etc, but generally if you're concerned about Marines (or tougher) targets improving Strength is good - S4 makes a notable difference over S3. AP goes far against these targets too as they tend to have decent saves, but if you can't get wounds the AP becomes less of a factor for obvious reasons :P

So i ran some quick numbers with both wyches and hellions.

I would run them with the blade artisans triggering on 5+ and PfP being 1 round higher in combat, as that way you could advance and charge turn 2, and get +1 to hit. So these numbers are assuming 10 wyches with razor flail, and 20 hellions, hitting on 2's, and 5+ to wound being AP-2. Also its assuming a 3+ save and no invun (so basically either a 4+ or 5+ save after AP)

So wyches

Against T4, the +1S does come out on top with about 9.8 vs 10.7 failed saves

Against T5, the +1 Attack comes out on top with 9.8 vs 7.7 failed saves.

Interestingly if you use stim overdose strat, the +1 attack does better than if you had used it on +1S.

Against T6/7, the +1S is better, with 4.9 vs 7.8 failed saves

Basically, if playing against marines/tanks take +1S, if playing against death guard, take +1A 

Hellions

Against T4+, the +1 A wins out but only just, 20.4 vs 19.4. Interestingly, both the +1A and +1S do exactly the same number of wounds, but because the ones that wound with the +1A do so at better AP they do slightly more damage.

Against T5+, the +1S wins out, but again, only just, 14.8 vs 15.3 failed saves (not damage).

Againt T6/7+, the +1 A wins by quite a bit, 14.8 vs 11.1

And finally vs T8, the +1 S wins, again by quite a bit 7.4 vs 11.1

So in contrast to the wyches, if playing against marines/tanks take +1A, if playing against deathguard/knights takes +1S.

However the benefits are so small, that i would almost be tempted to roll for their combat  drugs. I did the same numbers with no combat drugs and the difference between no drugs, +1A and +1S was not that significant that getting 2 drugs would be worth it in most situations

Unfortunately, the answer is complicated.

The addition of Blade Artisans creates different potential outcomes.  Here's two scenarios that assume no additional bonuses from Cult Obsessions.... so Red Greif.

10 Wyches w/Adrenalight: 51 attacks, 34 hits, 11.32 wounds, 5.56 of which would be at -2AP... 3.77 failed saves from Blade Artisans wounds, 1.85 unsaved wounds at standard -1AP.

10 Wyches w/Grave Lotus: 41 attacks, 27.3 hits, 13,65 wounds, 4.5 of which would be at -2AP...  1.5 failed saves from Blade Artisan wounds, 4.56 unsaved wounds at standard -1AP.

5.62 failed saves with +1A.

6.06 failed saves with +1S.

As usual, the difference is marginal and subject to outliers.  Your Cult bonus is going to make a difference, with most having a slant towards Adrenalight.

As far as Wych Weapons are concerned, Impalers are the only outright good ones.  Hydra Gauntlets are ok, but only benefit from +1S in a few scenarios, like facing T3 or 5.  Razorflails are basically a dead end, as they will give 6 attacks to a standard Wych; 2 more than usual, 4 with Adrenalight.  Neither one seems worth the points, to me.  They aren't spammable, or potent.  I would unironically consider an 11th Wych to put in a Raider over Wych Weapons.  It isn't until you factor in Cult bonuses or Bloodbride upgrades that they really start to work.