The Gravis/T5 army

I am toying with putting together the gravis army when heavy intercessors come out.

Majority T5, bar supporting characters. So something like, gravis captain primaris Chaplain on Bike, libby, apothecary, heavy intercessors, aggressors, inceptors, eradicators. Maybe a place for outriders. We'll see.

What chapter tactics/supplements are going tk work best here?

It depends on how you want to play them.

When the codex first came out I also considered such an army and for me the option I considered were:

Salamanders for their additional defense and reroll, as a Gravis army would have lots of smaller units.

White Scars for the maneuverability via assault weapon without penalty on advance as Agressors, Interceptors, and Eradicators are basically all assault armed, and Heavy Intercessors can also take assault weapons.

Make them Salamanders and make everything T5 or better, make it a theme.

The other option is Iron Hands for that 6+++, add in Fierros and you can have a T5, 3+(Strat for 2+), 5++, 6+++, 3W Core army.

Deathwatch to make all of them Troops, 5x Heavy Intercessors with Hellstorm Bolt Rifles, 2x Flamestorm Aggressors, 2x Eradicators, 1x Plasma Inceptor is extremely competent at everything and a tough nut to crack. Add a support Character as you suggest the their Relic Dominis Aegis and they get a 5++, with an Apothecary an additional 6+++.

Basically, go pretty hardcore ham on making your units tough to kill.

Imperial Fists exploding 6’s on all those bolt weapons.

For Ravenguard or White Scars surprise your opponent with your speed, with Hungary for Battle and Rapid Assault.

Also, unless you are Deathwatch Multi-Melta Attack Bikes are flat out better, for a unit of three a mere 30 pts difference, 1 attack, and 1 pt leadership you get 9” of movement, 3 wounds, guaranteed 6” Advance, and 3x twin bolters.

I don’t see any real particular advantage.

Heavy Intercessors cost 40% more than regular Intercessors but are at least 50% more durable. Only once you get up to weapons that deal 3D or more do Gravis infantry lose their edge.

To compensate against those weapons, take a couple of Dreadnoughts to draw anti-tank firepower away from your infantry. Contemptor Dreads with their 5++ save are particularly good here, Space Wolf Dreads with a 4++ save from their blizzard shields are even better.

I think DW is probably the best way to go with all Gravis, being able to mix and match squads makes them much more appealing and the teleport stratagem is an extra bonus if they can use it.

The annoying thing about them though is that they have no Lieutenant option, an Apothecary one would be really good but a second HQ option would be great.

The annoying thing about them though is that they have no Lieutenant option, an Apothecary one would be really good but a second HQ option would be great.

Yes, slightly disappointing but the DI Lt with sword and shield still fits pretty well. He looks fitting and he is pretty tanky with his 2+/4++ save, even at T4.

I am using proxies for mine.  I've seen some nice Gravis counts as Terminators but my plan is to use the Iron Hands character for my second HQ as a counts as Techmarine. I'm also looking at relics and special issue wargear for a proxy Apothecary.

Taking a Raven Guard Gravis army to a tournament later this month. The exception is Shrike (who will travel with the Plasma Inceptors) and 2 Infiltrator units. With Master of Ambush / Strike from the Shadows / Infiltrator (stratagem) they can take ownership of the midboard really quick.

PS: my apology I forgot the unit of Bladeguard.

I have one unit of Heavy Intercessors currently but would like to add two more to make it a true all Gravis army. Of course it would help to have a Lieutenant, Librarian or Chaplain with a Gravis option, preferably as an Inceptor HQ :)

They would work well under RG or salamanders shells. Especially RG I think, since making aggressors start the game on opponent's face is pretty attractive. IF don't give them enough support, since IF themselves have not find a single competitive build in 9th at all.

They would work well under RG or salamanders shells. Especially RG I think, since making aggressors start the game on opponent's face is pretty attractive. IF don't give them enough support, since IF themselves have not find a single competitive build in 9th at all.

Gonna run some tests as salamanders first. Double strat for +1 to save, fire shield, drakeskin and self sacrifice, +1 to wound on 2 gravis units (flame aggressors and eradicators), +1 to wound on a stick strat, obsidian acquilla relic, geat warlord trait and relic combos

There's lots to like about the resilincy and punch they give gravis units. List will be much slower to engage than ravenguard, but i am finding in my local meta with blood angels, white scars, harlequins and orks that my speed to engage is less of an issue if i can get to objectives by bottom of 3. 

List posted in army list forum