Genestealer Cults - deploying outside deployment zone

Rogue

I came across an interesting interpretation of the Cult Ambush rules this week (via YouTube). The suggestion is that units consisting of a single model (such as a Goliath truck) can legally deploy outside the deployment zone because of the way the Cult Ambush rules are worded. Superficially, that looks correct, but feels like a loophole, so I'm interested in getting a wider opinion.

Cult Ambush says this:

Each time you reveal an ambush marker, select one unit from your army that you set up in ambush, then set up one model from that unit within 1" of that ambush marker. Then remove that marker before setting up the rest of that model's unit wholly within 6" of the first model, wholly within your deployment zone and more than 9" from any enemy model (any models that cannot be placed are destroyed).

So there are three steps:

1. place one model within 1" of the blip
  2. remove the blip
  3. place the remaining models, following the given restrictions

As the rule is structured, the only restriction on step one (placing the first model) is that it must be within 1" of the blip. It's not required to be within the deployment zone - that restriction only applies in the second sentence, which covers the placement of the rest of the unit. So if there is no rest of the unit, the restrictions have nothing to apply to. 

This is potentially very handy for the Cult - stick a blip up to the line; deploy a Goliath into no-man's land, with the front maybe 6" in; disembark the passengers 3", and you've gained 9" of movement before even moving. Suddenly you're opening up multiple first-turn charges, or tons of counter-charge potential to flood the centre of the board.

As I say, it feels wrong, but reads as legal, so if anyone has any thoughts, that would be helpful.

Does seem more like a loophole than what they intended. I guess my question would be on a normal unit, could you place the first model in no man's land? It would be similarly exempt since it's only the rest of the unit restricted.

As written, it looks like you could. It matters less in this case, because having one acolyte or neophyte tipping over the line by an inch is hardly game-breaking, but yes, the wording suggests that with a squad, the first model is exempt from deployment limitations other than being within 1" of the blip.

It's slightly useful in terms of first-turn charges and counter-charges, where every inch counts, and we can measure distances from that first, furthest forward model. Less so than the Goliath trick, but still.