Is the broken Master Apothecary true?

Volth

So. After quite some time out of 40k I gave it another try tonight and got absolutely butchered. One reason was that my opponents Eradicators wouldn't die as he had some sort of Über-Apothecary that would heal 3 wounds on a model flat, twice, plus bringing one back from the doomed per turn.

Later on I was researching Battlescribe for such a unit and did come to the conclusion this would not be possible. But maybe I missed something.

Is there any way a Space Marine army can have one Apothecary that matches described behaviour?

He cannot heal the same unit for 3 wounds more than once a turn, but he is totally capable of restoring one model from the dead per turn and healing another model in the same unit.  Provided there is at least one model remaining in the target unit (he cannot resurrect models from units that have been entirely destroyed).

The Unseen is correct I feel, Volth was most likely dealing with an Apothecary that had the Chief Apothecary upgrade,which explains the guaranteed 3 wound heal and the free use of the Combat Restoratives stratagem (revive missing squad model at full wounds). The Selfless Healer Warlord trait then explains the two heals.

NB, for all that it's fairly common nowadays, inclined to say OP's opponent should have explained (better) what he was fielding - especially to someone just returning to the hobby.

It would be impossible to hear the unit twice anyway, as the models in question only have 3 wounds, thus he would heal two wounds, then two (or three depending on the unit) of another squad, and use the strat. It would be very difficult to use this incorrectly in the way described, unless the players were allocating wounds to multiple members of the same squad at the same time. It’s more likely that with everything going on he misunderstood what was happening.

I did not know about the warlord trait and the stratagem. It was explained to me to be an upgrade of 15pts and 1CP and nothing else.

To sum up the game: I was playing Custodes which don't seem bad in this edition but the game showed me, I fielded my army quite wrong. 1000pts, Dawneagle Captain, 5 Guard, 5 Wardens, Landraider. Too elite for an already too elite army. Lost half the army on turn 1. Land Raiders pop easily and are no practical way of unit delivery with the way disembarking works right now. Also it wasn't enough units and bodys to play the objective game. I did underestimate the impact of that unit and tried to shoot the eradicators to protect the LR ...to no effect at all.

In the environment of small games that dirt cheap Apothecary is a naughty little monster.

I did not know about the warlord trait and the stratagem. It was explained to me to be an upgrade of 15pts and 1CP and nothing else.

Technically correct, the Chief Apothecary upgrade costs 15 points and he needed the 1 CP for 'Hero of the Chapter' to give him a Warlord trait. Assuming there that he had someone else as the actual Warlord.

The Custodes do pretty well but as you noticed the Land Raider is unlikely to be worth it.

As for the objective game, a Custodian Guard squad with Storm Shields may be nigh impossible to shift from an objective, but that's a hefty chunk in a 1000 points game that really needs to be fighting.

FWIW, I'll note that the Custodes (currently) don't lose all that much if you bring in some Guardsmen or Sisters to do the babysitting objectives job for you.