Tzen's "Sons of the Raven"

Tzen

I have been working on a few miniatures recently, with a view to designing my own chapter.  And this is one such mini.

SOR2.jpg

SOR3.jpg

SOR4.jpg

SOR5.jpg

Briefly, the idea behind the chapter is that it is a Raven Guard successor chapter, and it was all but wiped out. With the arrival of the Primaris marines, the Chapter has a shot at survival. However things haven't quite gone to plan, as many of the wargear and resources have not made it to their home world, and the Raven Guard have a history of unstable geneseed....

I am not 100% certain on the name. I chose sons of the Raven because they were allegedly wiped out, and I like the idea. But I was tempted with "Sons of the Crow". Anyway. the basic thoughts are bumbling about in my brain.

Edited by Tzen

Haha, thanks Scribe! Glad you have been enjoying it :D

I must admit, for all the gripes and such you hear now and then in the hobby, the truth is I just love painting minis. It's been a real joy in my life, got me through some tough times too. So I am glad you like my stuff :D 

Beautiful work. Does the raven skull mask ID the wearer as a Chaplain or a Judiciar?

No, just a general "leader" thing for now. He is a leader of some assault marines I guess. I have some ideas for the fluff for them, just not had time to even think about it properly :D 

• 1 year later...

So far, in my head cannon, the masks are trophies they have acquired hunting the wildlife on the chapters recruitment world. As they go through the ranks, and take down larger raven monsters, some of them wear them during combat as a way of embodying the spirit of the beast they killed.  Some of them even have them incorporated into their helms/have their helms modified to resemble some of the avian beasts of legend. 

That's it so far, the chapter is rife with mutation, so hoping to convert a wulfen into a birden (name tbc) :D 

Thanks chaps, really appreciate it. I am really taking this project slowly. Been trying to work on what each unit type would look like, so doing one of each before full squads. :D

So far, all the bird stuff has been stolen from the Corvus Cabal from warcry. I have obviously also used stuff from the Raven Guard upgrade sprue too. I am looking forward to doing some conversion work on the mutated units. Think Wulfen but birds, not stupid wolves. :D 

On 6/26/2022 at 5:13 PM, Bjorn Firewalker said:

How about calling the mutants "tengu," after creatures from Japanese folklore?

Not a bad call! I will keep that in mind! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks chaps! :D

I am currently working on my son's T'au at the moment, and a sprinkling of Word Bearers, so this little pet project hasn't seen much love, But I have ideas rolling around in my head for a "Pale Raven". The forces Librarian rank. Name my change! :D