Deathkorps of Krieg

Hello there,

Been a while since I last read a Warhammer book (last one was either Johnson or The Infinite and the Devine) as I'm currently more invested into a quite different IP these days.

But I consider to reread the Gaunts Ghosts series for some inspiration and discovered that the Deathkorps of Krieg also got some dedicated stories.

Those seem to be well received on Amazon and thus, I wanted to ask you guys before I'll give them a shot. :)

Cheers,

Kel

I know of two stories, both by Steve Lyons: Dead Men Walking, and a short story Left for Dead (in the Lords and Tyrants collection).

I'd say they're "good enough" in the sense that they tell grim, soul-crushing stories of humans being humans and all the follies and brokenness that entails. The prose isn't spectacular but isn't poor, characterization is decent, and I like that they focus on the psychological and emotional toll of war on people than just action scenes.

However, it should be noted that Lyons crafts his stories such that the narrative POV and focus actually tend to be from those other than the Kriegers themselves, with the Death Korps used more as an allegorical endpoint of the dehumanizing toll of war than a "check out the inner workings of this faction" sense. Calibrate expectations accordingly.

However, it should be noted that Lyons crafts his stories such that the narrative POV and focus actually tend to be from those other than the Kriegers themselves, with the Death Korps used more as an allegorical endpoint of the dehumanizing toll of war than a "check out the inner workings of this faction" sense. Calibrate expectations accordingly.

I dont think that is quite true for the short stories, as both of those are from Krieger POV (kind-of). Its definitly true for Dead Men Walking, but one story is from the POV of a Krieg reject and the other from a Krieg deserter (kind-of). 

I can recommend all of Lyons' DKoK work. I especially liked Dead Men Walking, as it really help drive home some of the core cultural traits of Kriegers.