Hypothetical new UM ability: give a unit the Core keyword

Remember 30k? Remember how Bobby G could use a unit entry and give them a special rule? Let's apply that to the new era of UM.

Choose a unit keyword (i.e. Gladiator, Invader ATV, etc.) that doesn't have the Core keyword. Give them the Core keyword. Make it a UM stratagem, give it to Sicarius or Bobby G. I really feel like Core is what sets SM apart and UM in particular.

Mind you, the wording needs fixing or it may require a different approach like "at the start of the command phase, choose a unit within 6" without the Core keyword. Give it the Core keyword unit your next command phase".

A final option I had in mind is changing the super doctrine to "While in tactical doctrine, all units have the Core keyword".

Finally, you may also include a second layer, like "if the unit already has the Core keyword, give it <insert ability here>". The main reason for this layering is that the ability to distribute the Core keyword might shift UM away from balanced setups in favour of other unit compositions, like ATV and Tank spam, which wouldn't be very UM-like. The idea of UM is combined arms, not polarized lists.

In any case, opinions on being able to distribute the Core keyword?

Edited by Frater Cornelius

so - are you looking to give these units re-rolls to hit, or be affectable by chaplains or what? Bearing in mind the core keyword really does open up a LOT of interactions - perhaps you would be better served identifying exactly what you are aiming to do with handing out 'core' to potentially any/every unit in your army?

@Leonaides - Open up all the Core interactions, precisely. These are basically the only interactions left. Very select few can target non-Core units, Guilliman being the only way to give non-Core units any kind of rerolls.

The idea is boosting reliability. Non-Core units suffer because they lack any way of mitigating randomness. Why would I take a non-Core shooty unit when I can take a slightly worse Core unit and boost it to be better? The premier way is to open the unit up to Cpt and Lt rerolls.

UM in particular have access to a good amount of Auras, but making use of those almost always means you forego any non-Core units. To reinforce the image of a combined arms army, being able to give out Core helps bringing other units in. It also shows UM tactical expertise by being able to coordinate non-conventional units on top of the Core units.

Edited by Frater Cornelius

I quite like this idea, not sure on balance etc but I think it’s something that we could do.

This could also set a trend for other supplement like for White Scars, all fast attack or bike units gaining core, all Phobos units for Raven Guard etc

Good question. My first thought was something alongside of Core -> Super Core, like with some ObSec rules models counting twice. The issue is that Core is a recipient of many different buffs and not just one rule like ObSec.

The other issue is that whatever additional buff I can think off seems very arbitrary, mainly because the choice of what is Core and what isn't is arbitrary to begin with. What makes a unit "more Core"?

Great idea and would fit nicely within the fluff of an army that is all about tactical flexability. 

If it was 1/2 CP unit size or Power Level dependant and lasted all battle round that would be great. 

There is quite a bit of talk that UM wont actually get a new supplement in 9th as they have one from 8th that was FAQ'd for 9th. 

We might get nothing new.