Time to bring a little Change onto my life (new to TSons)

Good morning my warp touched brothers and sisters.

As you can tell by my name, I am a massive space wolves fan. They were my first army and are definitely my largest collection. But as I engaged with the space wolf fluff, I also encountered the Thousand Sons as their 2 destinies are often quite entwined. And as I seek to diversify my collection a bit I realized I had never collected a chaos faction, and so I figured who better to collect than tge ancient foe of my beloved space wolves. So I have come to your august halls in search of some collecting advice and some getting to know the army advice.

What I have (or will have quite soon)

Start collecting

TSons half of Hexfire (splitting with a GK buddy)

1 box of rubrics

1 box of Sorcerers

1 box of Terminators

40 cultists

My first question is what next. I think I will end up with at least 10 more rubrics, but are things like Daemon engines or defilers a good add next?

Next question is what are your opinions on soulreaper cannons? I like the look of tge model but are they worth putting on the table?

My next question is in regards to a feature that seem lacking in this codex, antitank. How do you guys handle the big stuff. Defilers and hellbrutes look like one of the few ways of getting big guns in with no access to havocs, is there another option I'm missing?

And my final question is color. I somewhat understand the lore where Ahriman turned everyone blue, but what I don't understand is was that just his ban or was it all rubrics. And if not does it seem feasible that there are still some heresy colored TSons out there? My space wolves are sort of blue Grey and I feel a harsher contrast would be beneficial for my painting skills, time to try a new color and reds a new one for me.

Thanks in advance guys,

Sorcerer Jbickb

Welcome to the cabal - you'll find the Sons models amongst the best with their detail and theme so while this may also result in more time on building and painting it is always worth it :) As noted with a new codex just around the corner we'll know more then, but you have (or will have) a solid start to a collecting to get cracking on :tu:

Adding another box of Rubrics or two would be sensible expansions, and the Exalted Sorcerers box has a well deserved reputation for adding options you'll be able to spruce your Aspiring Sorcerers up with as well as build some great HQ sorcerers :)

As for colours you can do what you like and the (current) codex has some great examples too - what sort of god of change would Tzeentch be if he didn't allow different colours anyway? ;) A deep red and gold would be an excellent scheme for your Sons, and I'd say is one of the more common combinations thanks to the Heresy colour scheme?

Last but not least you are correct that AT has long been an issue for Sons. Helbrutes are a good source of this, but Predators also though they are less popular due to the overall strength of AT in 9th (or at least, for other armies?). I like the Soul Reaper Cannon as it does add something over bolters, but I can see why others are less keen. Chances are there will be some relative change for the SRC in the new codex though?

Don't forget to keep us updated on your progress :tu:

Welcome aboard.... all is about to change so limited answers here. (No pun intended!)

I will say the Defiler got a lot better for Death guard, so I hope it carries over.

I anticipate with what I believe is a price increase, that the Forgefiend will be better, but to be honest the good ol' Helbrute is just a really efficient unit still. I still use dual Las contemptors too, but that again may change in a week. 

Either the 8th edition codex or the Psychic Awakening book featured a warband painted in classic legion red so if you like the colour scheme, there is definitely a precedent. If in doubt, always remember the first law of modelling.

1. They are your models, paint them how you like! :wink:

Anti-tank is a weak area but it might be worth waiting until the new codex comes out but some ideas are available.

1. Multimelta Hellbrutes are very solid in 9th edition and also give you serious melee punch.

2. A winged Prince with some nasty melee weapon is an option.

3. Lots of Smites

Stormbolters with the new "Wrath of the Wronged" stratagem. A unit of 10 Terminators will be putting out 40 shots at close range that wound everything up to T7 on a 4+ and have AP-2. That should be enough to gun down a Dreadnought, even before you add any sources of rerolls.

Next question is what are your opinions on soulreaper cannons? I like the look of tge model but are they worth putting on the table?

Soul Reapers gets MUCH better in the new Codex. Check out the stat line below and then remember it is carried by models who can move and fire heavy weapons without penalty. All of a sudden the Assault Cannon starts to look a bit puny in comparison.

wqdmaFTxik68AoCp.jpg

Thanks everyone for all your thoughtful replies. I haven't got the codex yet as it seemed silly to buy a book that would be out of date in a week lol so your image was really helpful Karhedron, thanks!

I was glad to see the soulreaper cannon buffs and they look pretty sweet now so I think I will model a couple of those up for sure.

As this is my first forY into chaos, is there a reason to aquire some daemon models? I know in the past there were summons and the like and I am unsure if such a thing still exists.

A friend actually gave me a TSons contemtor body, and despite the cp, twin Las on that with missile launcher looks promising. And ime sure I will end up with a helbrute or 2 also as dreads and their like have alway been a favorite of mine.

I hope the forgefiend gets good, Prot. That's a gorgeous model

I'd focus on Marines for now - best to wait for the Daemons codex update (whenever that is) as currently it looks like GW are removing cross-army things so you'd be running two separate armies for the most part. In which case it is better to view them as such :P

Helbrutes seem to have got better with the new codex. Getting the -1 Damage that loyalist Dreads have plus with the new 5++ from the Son's army bonuses they should be a lot more durable while still providing good fire power :) It has made me think about them sooner rather than later, but the caveat is I've always loved Dreadnoughts :P

The Daemon Engines have all gone to hitting on 3+ now which is great - the 4+ has been the bane of many a turn for me... While they gain less relatively as they have a 5++ anyway it's still a nice buff :)

As this is my first forY into chaos, is there a reason to aquire some daemon models? I know in the past there were summons and the like and I am unsure if such a thing still exists.

We will have to wait and see if Daemons still exist in the new Codex and how they will work. Previously their value was in summoning cheap Troops units in the mid or late game who could snag Objectives or complete Secondaries for you. If they still work the way they did in 8th then some Horrors could definitely be worth a look. Of course it may all be different in a week's time.

A friend actually gave me a TSons contemtor body, and despite the cp, twin Las on that with missile launcher looks promising. And ime sure I will end up with a helbrute or 2 also as dreads and their like have alway been a favorite of mine.

The Contemptor is solid. All the strengths of a Dread but better movement and a 5++ to help against melta. Twin Las and CML will certainly give you some range but will also set you back over 200 points. Mind you, that is only a smidge more than a Predator for more firepower and much more durability so it may well be worth the CP.

Helbrutes seem to have got better with the new codex. Getting the -1 Damage that loyalist Dreads have plus with the new 5++ from the Son's army bonuses they should be a lot more durable while still providing good fire power :smile.: It has made me think about them sooner rather than later, but the caveat is I've always loved Dreadnoughts :tongue.:

Yes, Hellbrutes are really good in this edition. 2 with Multimeltas can stomp forward and waste tanks while providing some respectable punch in melee.

The Daemon Engines have all gone to hitting on 3+ now which is great - the 4+ has been the bane of many a turn for me... While they gain less relatively as they have a 5++ anyway it's still a nice buff :smile.:

And as vehicles they no longer suffer the -1 to Hit for moving and firing. This means in practice they have gone from often hitting on a 5+ to normally hitting on a 3+. Some flavours can fight pretty well in melee too so it is nice to have options.

Yeah after reading the hoonhammervreview, daemon engines look sweet and helbtutes look fun too! These are models that I already thought were sweet and I'm glad they will be worth adding to my collection, also they had a big push for heldrakes which is cool because who doesn't love a giant half mechanical dragon. Definitely looks like some beasties will be joining my to aquire list.

Copy that on daemons, I wasn't really planning on bringing them in, but it occurred to me that in the past there were ways to summon daemons even if they weren't in your army so I thought I'd check that hadn't hung around in some fashion.

Ok so as I collect and read our new dex I've come up with a reasonable starting list but ice got about 325 points to go to get to 2000. And I have come to you guys looking for what to flesh it out with.

Current list

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons) [80 PL, 10CP, 12 Cabal Points, 1,674pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Cults of the Legion: Cult of Duplicity

Detachment Command Cost

+ HQ +

Exalted Sorcerer [9 PL, 3 Cabal Points, 165pts]: 12. Twist of Fate, 22. Swelled by the Warp, 6. Aetherstride, Conniving Plate, Dilettante, Disc of Tzeentch, Inferno Bolt Pistol, Prosperine khopesh, Seer's Bane, Warlord

Infernal Master [5 PL, 2 Cabal Points, 90pts]

Thousand Sons Daemon Prince [10 PL, -1CP, 3 Cabal Points, 185pts]: Hellforged sword, High Acolytes, Master Misinformator, Wings

+ Troops +

Rubric Marines [6 PL, 1 Cabal Points, 115pts]

. Aspiring Sorcerer: Inferno Bolt Pistol

. 3x Rubric Marine w/ inferno boltgun: 3x Inferno boltgun

. Rubric Marine w/ soulreaper cannon: Soulreaper cannon

Rubric Marines [6 PL, 1 Cabal Points, 115pts]

. Aspiring Sorcerer: Inferno Bolt Pistol

. 3x Rubric Marine w/ inferno boltgun: 3x Inferno boltgun

. Rubric Marine w/ soulreaper cannon: Soulreaper cannon

Rubric Marines [12 PL, 1 Cabal Points, 269pts]

. Aspiring Sorcerer: 32. Pyric Flux, Warpflame pistol

. 9x Rubric Marine w/ warpflamer: 9x Warpflamer

+ Elites +

Chaos Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, -1CP, 215pts]: Hellforged cyclone missile launcher, 2x Twin lascannon

Scarab Occult Terminators [20 PL, 1 Cabal Points, 430pts]: 2x Hellfyre missile rack

. Scarab Occult Sorcerer: Inferno combi-bolter

. 7x Terminator: 7x Inferno combi-bolter, 7x Prosperine khopesh

. Terminator w/ Heavy Weapon: Soulreaper cannon

. Terminator w/ Heavy Weapon: Soulreaper cannon

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 90pts]: Inferno combi-melta

++ Total: [80 PL, 10CP, 12 Cabal Points, 1,674pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Here is what I'm looking at to round out the points:

Option A

10 rubrics with Soulreaper Cannon 220

1 Rhino with Combi-melta 90

Option B

20 Tzaangor with Brayhorn 150

1 Tzaangor shaman 70

1 Hellbrute with MM and CC 115

Option C

1 Defiler pimped out 200 (lascannons and scourge)

5 man Rubric squad with Soulreaper Cannon 115

Option D

Sorcerer 90

Rhino with Combi-melta 90

5 Rubric with Soulreaper Cannon 115

Or any other suggestion you lot have to give. I have some hobby budget left this month so your input will guide my next couple purchases.

Edited by Rune Priest Jbickb

It looks good so far. I would say with one true offensive vehicle, it might be a good idea to consider another one or two to flesh out your anti-tank and give people a few vehicle targets. This could be a Helbrute or two, or a Daemon Vehicle.