The Hobby In a Small Apartment/Condo

Blank Dave

I'm really not too sure where to post this, but I'm sure here might have some advice...

Due to life being life, my living circumstances are due to change.  As it is, I'm currently living in a house, and I have a work area in the basement.  But in the near future, I'm looking at having to move.  Housing prices in Canada are like those in the US, and just inflating at a ridiculous rate.  Between my relatively low income, and potential inheritance, it appears I won't be able to buy my Mom's house.  As such, I'm leaning towards looking at either renting an apartment, or buying a condo.  That's likely a discussion unto itself, and not subject for these boards.

Here's the issue, I'm not moving alone, I'm also moving with the "Tyrants," my two cockatiels.  And as anyone who's had parrots know, they're very inquisitive, get into everything, and have rather sensitive lungs.  This kinda makes having a hobby/work area and them a no go, to me. 

I'm quite sure there's others here who also live in relatively small quarters.  I'm wondering if anyone would have any thoughts on how to make this work.

Some of the two bedroom units I've seen, the second room which I could use as a workshop are interior rooms, and don't appear to have ventilation outside...

TBH, I am about 30 seconds away from grabbing my stuff, and pitching it.  Last year, I did a big restock in paints and what not because I was getting the itch.  But between work, the plague,  and looking after Mom, I just didn't/don't have the time or the drive to get into the stuff, so it's just gathering dust.  I just look at it and go :censored:

Any suggestions,

Dave

Some of the two bedroom units I've seen, the second room which I could use as a workshop are interior rooms, and don't appear to have ventilation outside...

I'm currently living in a 2 bedroom flat with my wife, young twins, and a cat that loves to see what I'm up to. I have my desk in the living room, and my paints in storage racking. My desk serves double duty with computer and hobby. Space is always at a premium, which is why stuff I'm not working on lives in the loft, but otherwise it's been fine, hobbywise anyway. I do have a small A4 sized paint station to hold my main brushes, dropper bottles of medium & paint, water, wet palette and my working model(s), which I can put away on a shelf to clear a bit of desk space, but that's mainly a convenience thing.

I'm not sure why you need direct ventilation? It's not needed for normal painting with acrylics like GW/vallejo/army painter etc paints; the paint is non-toxic, and there's no outgassing because it's entirely water-based. You don't even need it for airbrushing acrylics, as there's still no organic solvents (i.e. fumes) - a dust mask to prevent breathing in overspray dust because you're directly next to it is a good idea, but that's all. Obviously it's different if you use a significant amount of oils, enamels or other organic-solvent based paints, as oil thinners do need a well ventilated workspace and do pose a risk to pets, but that's pretty unusual for warhammer painters? There are alternatives if you use them for weathering.

I do sometimes have issues at my desk when the cat decides to see what I'm up to up close and personal, but that means I just need to put down the brush and give her some attention. I tend to paint when the girls are asleep, because otherwise they like to crowd my painting arm so they can see what I'm doing :smile.: Sometimes I move with my paint station to the dining table so we can all paint together; me with my models and acrylics, them with watercolours.

The paints are all well sealed so no risk (they're not toxic to pets anyway, which includes birds). I have a couple of paint pucks to avoid spills of an open pot, and I generally only have one pot open at a time for washes etc; otherwise, I just transfer a little of them to the wet palette (or dry palette for metals) and I close the pot. But that's mainly to avoid them drying out and so I don't knock them over myself!

For priming, I use my airbrush when I've got a bit of peace and quiet; if I'm doing a load at once and it's worth using a rattle can, I just go outside with a cardboard box to make a temporary spray booth to catch overspray. If both are impractical, you can always brush on primer and final varnish, it just takes a little longer.

Edited by Arkhanist

Hello Dave,

I live in an Apartment too with my wife and a newborn, so I think I might be able to grasp your concern.

I had to even reduce my Hobbys pace oncy our son got born e few weeks ago.

I think as you say having a separate room is key, so you can close the door if you are airbrushing.Spraying with rattlecans I would recommend doing outside anyways.

I have installed a corner workspace with some shelving above to maximize organization possibilities and space.

I own that one multilevel corner desk from Ikea. I don't know if it's against the rules to post a link to Ikea here.

To protect your stuff from your inquisitive animals I would imagine a curtain that goes around your workspace while not working might work to protect your stuff. Or everything needs to be locked in drawers like the ones from hobby zone for example.

I hope I could help.

Edited by Maschinenpriester

I use a bureau/writing desk with built in shelves above it. This allows me to fold down the table and work on stuff, and also have storage/display space. I got this when we had our firstborn and lived in a small flat as it allows you to keep all modelling stuff safe and together. 

Yup in a one bed flat here too, essentially i have a desk which doubles as work area and computer space which isnt ideal but works out, all my bits go in the drawers on a big storage unit i think intended for screws and small bits plus a couple of boxes next to the workspace tucked out of the way. I do have a window right there for light and ventilation but tbh i do most toxic stuff outside anyway, occasionally getting odd looks from my neighbours and passers by :D 

Painting my armour was the trickiest part actually, people have questions about a suit of plate laid out on newspapers lol

All my hobby work is done on my desktop, where I have my PC.

Everything is stored away whenever I'm not doing anything hobby-wise. The cutting mat can be stored vertically pretty much anywhere, paints and brushes sit in a total of four boxes and all the remaining hobby material (drills, knife, clippers, airbrush, tank, glues, ...) are stored away in multiple boxes on a shelf. 

The only thing that is quite cumbersome to use is the spray booth, as packing and unpacking it any time I have to use it takes some time. I open the window slightly and fix the exhaust hose in place to send out all the fumes.
It requires some decent planning, but the result is that you would never guess I am a hobbyist as there is nothing in sight. 

You could probably do the same on any table if you're tidy enough. 

Edited by AenarIT

All my hobby work is done on my desktop, where I have my PC.

Everything is stored away whenever I'm not doing anything hobby-wise. The cutting mat can be stored vertically pretty much anywhere, paints and brushes sit in a total of four boxes and all the remaining hobby material (drills, knife, clippers, airbrush, tank, glues, ...) are stored away in multiple boxes on a shelf. 

The only thing that is quite cumbersome to use is the spray booth, as packing and unpacking it any time I have to use it takes some time. I open the window slightly and fix the exhaust hose in place to send out all the fumes.

It requires some decent planning, but the result is that you would never guess I am a hobbyist as there is nothing in sight. 

You could probably do the same on any table if you're tidy enough. 

Yeah, even with more space than OP, I switched to a bigger desk which has my desktop + laptop. I use a hornby painting station I can pack away and fits well if I move my laptop. I'll tell you how to get a window in a room you can't put an external one on- put a long window across the top of a wall close to the celling that faces out towards a hallway/ open internal space. It dosn't have to open, just to let more light into the room. The second room as a home office with planned shelving + cabinets, good desk should be more than fine. 

I have a desk/bureau that I leave in the spare rom that has a lid. It means I can have a work in progress area that I can just shut away when not in use. This is especially important as my wife uses the same room as her office at the moment and it means none of my minis are on display when she is on a work call. I picked it up from a second hand furniture store for about £30 which is perfect because it means I don't really care about it. 

Not the actual desk, but it looks a little like this but with additional draws. 

SlantTopDesk-56a018023df78cafdaa00e62.jp

A closing desk like MrSpoon suggested is one of my long-term hobby goals, as I just moved in with a VERY curious cat who will absolutely snack on anything I leave out. My current solution is a storage bin that I turn upside down and use as a cover/protective shield against inquisitive creatures whenever I'm not working. Maybe something like that would work for you OP?

Exploring different table & desk options from companies such as IKEA etc is the best place to start.

Space being at a premium can make the hobby challenging but with a little planning you’ll find a solution. It’s easy to have an initial reaction of “I’ve had enough” but you’ll come up with something.

A friend of mine hobbyed from a backpack whilst travelling for a year!

BCC

Finally managed to get pictures of what n was talking about. Got this of eBay many years ago for about £100 but it has been well worth it for managing my hobby!

gallery_33945_4970_374794.jpeg

And here is the desk down, you can see it’s had quite a lot of powders and paint splashed across it…

gallery_33945_4970_49371.jpeg

The cupboards underneath are where I keep all my bits and pieces. And I use the shelves for what I’m working in, as well as general storage for crap.

I feel your pain. My townhouse had a finished basement with a pool table that I sat a 1" 6x4 particle board on and my game board on top of that! It was heaven to play 40k. My hobby desk was right next to it.

I still have most of a room dedicated to my computer desk and hobby space. I'm lucky. I think folding, yet stable, TV trays might be an answer? Also a fan. Kitchen counter top? You could have a large hobby box, so you could stash it when you were using the kitchen counter for umm kitchen stuff? 

When it comes to games ... 1k games and combat patrol games are still fun when you have that itch and it needs scratched. A buddy of mine bought one of those folding 6x4 gaming tables and we use it in his basement. It works like a champ.

I sold my townhouse ... lost a lot of gaming space :(