Background Questions

ThePenitentOne

So with all the Templars hype, I'm considering a small force- this will depend a lot on what the box release is, but I have a few questions.

If I do this, I want a small firstborn force which will receive greyshields from a torchbearer fleet; given that the previewed Champion is Primaris, am I correct in assuming that the Templars are cool about accepting Primarus Marines? 

In order for it to fit into my campaign and my collection, they'll spend a lot of time allying with sisters and Inquisitors. Does this fit?

Finally, some of their number will become members of the Deathwatch; do the Templars tithe the Deathwatch semi-regularly?

Thanks in advance.

am I correct in assuming that the Templars are cool about accepting Primarus Marines? 

Yeah, when the 8th ed codex came out it had (and I think its still there) a small lore bit about Guilliman coming to the Eternal Crusader to send Primaris reinforcements to the Chapter. Helbrecht makes no issue with it but the moment Guilliman ordered them to do something he refused, so Helbrecht has more problems with following Guilliman's orders than Primaris.

they'll spend a lot of time allying with sisters and Inquisitors. Does this fit?

I dont see why not, the chapter has fought alongside both factions before with the Vinculus Crusade being the prime example and more recently with the crusade that was made to reinforce Shrine Worlds.

The biggest thing in the lore with the Templars and Inquisition is their relationship is.... Flip-floppy

At times the Templars seem to be happy to work with the Inquisition (and it seems to be mainly Hereticus), at other times well... Just look up what happened to the Celestial Lions on Armageddon (which gets a sad, sad, sad resolution in the Emperor's Spears novel Spear of the Emperor).

Basically, if the Inquisitor in charge is smart and doesn't try to cause problems with the Templars, either by besmirching their honour or sticking their Inquisitorial nose where it doesn't belong, the Templars are fine working with the Inquisition.

Edited by Gederas

In order for it to fit into my campaign and my collection, they'll spend a lot of time allying with sisters and Inquisitors. Does this fit?

Finally, some of their number will become members of the Deathwatch; do the Templars tithe the Deathwatch semi-regularly?

Yes, the Black Templars (and Sisters of Battle) get along famously with monodominant inquisitors (the ones that believe humanity has the sole right to rule and exist in the galaxy), particularly ones that come from a religious background themselves. These monodominant inquisitors tend to be the fire-and-brimstone preacher types, and the stereotypical, "I want them to know the inquisition is coming," power-armor wearing, bolter-bearing crusade leaders.

The Black Templars do tithe to the Deathwatch. If it matters, they were a core option for the FFG Deathwatch pen-and-paper RPG. One expansion even had rules for what to do if a battle-brother had visions of the Emperor while serving at a watch-station. In the game's 40k history it had happened enough throughout 8,000 years that most watch-stations have a relic set of Armor of Faith and  the Black Sword.

Basically, if the Inquisitor in charge is smart and doesn't try to cause problems with the Templars, either by besmirching their honour or sticking their Inquisitorial nose where it doesn't belong, the Templars are fine working with the Inquisition.

Inquisitor: this is the second Crusade I have attended in a few months, it would appear at first glance your chapter would have more than the mandated 1,000 Astartes?

BT Marshal: .... *visible sweating, nervous laughter and a death grip on the sheathed power sword.* 

The inquisition is not ONE formation but thousonds of individuals within some loose formations with very different opinions. 

So BT have a very good relation to a couple of them and very bad to others who are in conflict with other parts within the inquisition.