Does Warhammer being British make it better?

tangoalphatwo

See, this leads me to the conclusion that the UK is uniquely peaceful in Europe.

I mean, cool, but maybe google “Northern Ireland” before you double-down on that notion. :whistling:

Please don't patronise me. The Troubles doesn't have a patch on the Nazi occupation of Europe, the Soviet occupation of Eastern and Central Europe, nor the Spanish Civil War.

Edited by Scammel

See, this leads me to the conclusion that the UK is uniquely peaceful in Europe.

I mean, cool, but maybe google “Northern Ireland” before you double-down on that notion. :whistling:

I don't know that we should get into that, but there is overlap with Thatcher's period of leadership there as well.

So, interesting, to me.

It would be neat to look at that time period in depth, and see what other media and authors were doing in the same time period.

BattleTech and 40K developed relatively simultaneously, one in the US and one in the UK. Both depict dystopian futures where mankind is embroiled in unrelenting wars, technology is sacred and controlled by a priesthood, and genetically advanced supersoldiers are a thing. The details may differ slightly, but the macro view is vaguely similar.

In one, there was originally a clear delineation between the good guys and bad. In another, there are no good guys: even the protagonists are objectively terrible as a faction.

That difference alone tells me quite a bit about how our two cultures -- "separated by a common language" -- view themselves and the world. The world has changed in the decades since, and oddly enough the changes in the two properties are also mirrors. 40K has become more noblebright, with lore developments pushing the minute hand back from midnight. Conversely, BattleTech has become darker; its white hats gave become soiled, and the "evil" authoritarian factions have slowly gained ascendancy.

Funny little world we live in.

See, this leads me to the conclusion that the UK is uniquely peaceful in Europe. Since the Civil War and Scottish rebellions, the UK has basically avoided the apocalyptic domestic conflict that afflicted France, Germany, Poland, Russia et al, and the most recent truly traumatising event was the Battle of the Somme

Whilst it's true that England has been relatively stable internally for the last 300 years, I would disagree that it's a uniquely peaceful history, having had so many "foreign expeditions", it's not really practical to list them (whilst it would be interesting to discuss further, I suspect the mods might get upset :().

PI'd lease don't patronise me. The Troubles doesn't have a patch on the Nazi occupation of Europe, the Soviet occupation of Eastern and Central Europe, nor the Spanish Civil War.

…okay….

-unhooks Nemesis Hammer-

This topic is going to disintegrate faster than a particle whip hitting a Rhino.

All real world politics, opinions on and causes of have no place within the harsh, dark & unforgiving realm of Warhammer 40,000 I’m afraid.

- swings hammer-

=][= THIS TOPIC IS NOW CLOSED =][=

BCC