Random thoughts and ideas

Gnomeo

So I have had some time to look at the codex but no test games yet but have had some ideas and would like some feedback.

1st idea: 3man paladin unit with 3 hammers. Relatively cheap. huge amounts of dmg. Can use Steel heart so they hit on 2's. Small so easy to deep strike and still retains psychic flexibility.

2nd: noble death coupled with martial presence.

3rd: storm raven with heavy bolters and hurricane bolters with psybolt ammo strat. Personally I think the raven is still a bit too pricy.

4th: as blades of victory starting turn 2 in tide of escalation. Try and cast as many of the reroll charge power then at the end of psychic phase warp shape to convergence. If you couple with 1st to the fray would mean each charge has a 66% chance of success (Rapiers look amazing but if you can't get in to combat all the buffs mean nothing)

Am sure I will think of more but this should do for the moment

So I have had some time to look at the codex but no test games yet but have had some ideas and would like some feedback.

1st idea: 3man paladin unit with 3 hammers. Relatively cheap. huge amounts of dmg. Can use Steel heart so they hit on 2's. Small so easy to deep strike and still retains psychic flexibility.

2nd: noble death coupled with martial presence.

3rd: storm raven with heavy bolters and hurricane bolters with psybolt ammo strat. Personally I think the raven is still a bit too pricy.

4th: as blades of victory starting turn 2 in tide of escalation. Try and cast as many of the reroll charge power then at the end of psychic phase warp shape to convergence. If you couple with 1st to the fray would mean each charge has a 66% chance of success (Rapiers look amazing but if you can't get in to combat all the buffs mean nothing)

Am sure I will think of more but this should do for the moment

I still think the paladins are not worth their points, but I was thumbing through the codex and reading the preservers brotherhood and think there may be some play there with the apothecary and psychic abilities. They are just so slow, the loss of astral aim and a reliable way to protect them really hurt them.

The stormraven is fine if you can get turn 1 if not it is more than likely dead and there goes 300+ points down the drain. I tried this in multiple lists to get it to work and couldn’t. It just never got the points back.

Blades of Victory is a very good brotherhood, and I think is being over looked, but what I like is not the re roll charge all though nice. I think that the re-deployment is where the play is. Tie that with the vision ability and you can pretty much re-deploy you entire army.

I still think that the rapiers are the go to, I use alot of interceptor units and strikes inside of rhinos this protects them and gets them up the board.

Edited by Grimlock

Yeah, I really want to like the Stormraven and Paladins, because they're some of my favourite units from previous editions, but it looks like they're just a bit too pricey to really work. I'll still bring them in more casual games, and the 3-man Paladin squad does have some potential.

I still think the paladins are not worth their points, but I was thumbing through the codex and reading the preservers brotherhood and think there may be some play there with the apothecary and psychic abilities.

Note that Paladins don't benefit from any of the Brotherhood stuff, because they don't have the keyword. Instead they have the Honoured Knight keyword.

What do people think of combining unyielding and a noble death? Have one marine count as 3. A 5 man unit now counts as 15.

Constant double ObSec near that character and one turn of triple ObSec for an extra 20 points...   seeing as how it could easily be a tide turner probably not a bad thing.  

What do people think of hector rex (inquisitor) to support grey knights with cp regen

I looked at his Data sheet on Battlescribe and couldnt see anything that pertained to CP regen.   But I dont know much at all about the Inquisitors that are available

What do people think of combining unyielding and a noble death? Have one marine count as 3. A 5 man unit now counts as 15.

Constant double ObSec near that character and one turn of triple ObSec for an extra 20 points...   seeing as how it could easily be a tide turner probably not a bad thing.  

What do people think of hector rex (inquisitor) to support grey knights with cp regen

I looked at his Data sheet on Battlescribe and couldnt see anything that pertained to CP regen.   But I dont know much at all about the Inquisitors that are available

Inquisitors have a psychic power and a stratagem that potentially lets them generate CP. I'm equally tempted to include an inquisitor with my GKs for just this reason.

I'm debating an Ordo Minoris (Ordo Sepulturum) but making them less about the CP generation and more about character hunting. Give them a plasmagun or combi-melta and the psychic power to target without LoS and see if their re-rolls can do work.

That is a really nice idea though I guess would need a transport in the army. But a melta with re-roll to hit and wound is nice for character assassination

• 2 weeks later...

If that is indeed true, then pretty amazing about the Banner of Refining Flame... 12" range means a 24" diameter circle of D3 MWs. You could quite easily do D3 MWs to your opponent's entire army if they are grouped up even a little bit.

If true, this also could impact the range of other Psychic Actions, like extending the range of Swordbearers "Rites of Protection" WL Trait or the Gyrotemporal Vault relic.

Edited by L30n1d4s