Sons of Horus 3k Long March RoW

HighMarshalAlex

Hey everyone! Familiar with Heresy, but haven’t played very many games, and brand new to SoH. I would like some feedback on my list please! For reference, I mainly play with friends. Our group typically plays 3k, and usually no named characters. It’s not a very competitive group. I have just made a list with the units I like. I would just like to have a list that isn’t so bad it gets blown off the table easily and also maybe doubles as a solid foundation for a larger SoH collection.

++ Crusade (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [2,993pts] ++

+ HQ: +

Mortificator [507pts]: On Foot

. Combi-weapon: Combi-weapon: Meltagun

. Consul

. . Mortificator

. . . Contemptor Dreadnoughts

. . . . Contemptor Dreadnought, Legion: Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon

. . . . . Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon: Heavy Flamer

. . . . Contemptor Dreadnought, Legion: Multi-melta

. . . . . Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon: Meltagun

. Power Weapon: Power Sword

. Tartaros Pattern Terminator Armour: Terminator Armour

Praetor, Legion [205pts]: Artificer Armour, Digital Lasers, Iron Halo, Lightning Claw, Mastercraft a Single Weapon, Melta Bombs, On Foot, Paragon Blade, Warlord

+ Elites: +

Apothecarion Detachment [110pts]

. Apothecary, Legion: Augury Scanner, None (Infantry, Power Armour), Power Armour

. . Chainsword or Combat Blade: Chainswords/Combat Blades

. Apothecary, Legion: Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner

Justaerin Terminator Squad , Compulsory [438pts]: Chainfist, 4x Combi-Melta, 5x Justaerin Terminators, Lightning Claw, Multi-melta, 3x Power Fist

. Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod (DT): Frag Assault Launchers

Justaerin Terminator Squad , Compulsory [438pts]: Chainfist, 4x Combi-Melta, 5x Justaerin Terminators, Lightning Claw, Multi-melta, 3x Power Fist

Veteran Tactical Squad, Legion [330pts]: 9x Bolt Pistol, 3x Bolter, 7x Chainswords/Combat Blades, 4x Combi-weapon: Meltagun, Melta Bombs, 2x Meltagun, Nuncio-vox, 2x Power Axe, 9x Veteran Space Marines, Legion, Veteran Tactics: Machine Killers, Vexilla, Legion

. Veteran Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Power Fist

. . Combi-weapon: Combi-weapon: Meltagun

+ Troops: +

Tactical Squad, Legion (Compulsory) [310pts]: Bolters, 19x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

. Additional Wargear: Additional Chainswords/Combat Blades, Nuncio-vox, Vexilla, Legion

. Tactical Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Bolter, Melta Bombs

. . Power Weapon: Power Axe

Tactical Squad, Legion (Compulsory) [310pts]: Bolters, 19x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

. Additional Wargear: Additional Chainswords/Combat Blades, Nuncio-vox, Vexilla, Legion

+ Fast Attack: +

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod Unit [115pts]

. Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod: Frag Assault Launchers

+ Heavy Support: +

Fire Raptor Gunship, Legion [230pts]

. Four wing-mounted:: Hellstrike Missiles

. Two Independent Ball Turret-mounted:: Reaper Autocannon Battery

+ Allegiance +

Legion and Allegiance: XVI: Sons of Horus, Traitor

Rite of War: The Long March

+ Use Playtest Rules +

Use Playtest Rules Errata 1.0 (From FAQ 1.1 Feb/2019): Playtest Rules Errata 1.0 On

+ Warlord Traits +

Warlord Traits

+ Dedicated Transport Restictions +

Dedicated Transports Restrictions: Dedicated transports are part of the parent unit

++ Total: [2,993pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Thank you for your time!

Edited by HighMarshalAlex

Hello there! =]

Have to say, i do not play SoH myself, but i have played against them alot. xD

You've got one of the best legion rules combined with one of the best RoWs.

And yet, i do not see any Plasmaweapons in your list! Why?

You get +1 BF within 12" and reroll 1s to hit in the first Turn. Use it!

Drop some of your tacticals and at least get a Plasma-Support Squad in a Rhino, or drop the meltas on one of your justaerin+Squads and give them Full Plasma loadout! =]

I also don't see any long range firepower - with Long March, Heavy Support Squads in your DZ are reeeeally good! 

I'd also drop the Vexilla on the Veterans and the Nuncios on the Tacticals - i do not think, that they will get to use the Vexilla, since they will shot to death when the are out of the Pod. And i don't think, that youll ever use the Nuncios on your Tacticals, since they are too far behind on the first turn, and on the second you will have the Vets on the field (should they survive the first turn). I also just generally don't think, that you need nuncios with Pods. Other Deep Strikers, yes, but not Pods.

Also - i'd drop the Lightning Claw on your praetor and instead give him a Powerfist, if you want to run double melee on him.

I'm also not a fan of that much Anvillus-Pods, but if you want to drop three units, i guess you have no other choice... ^^

Absolutely agree with MichaelCarmine on some issues, a lack of long range firepower is very worrying. Meltas with pods may work fine in many situations but even one armoured ceramite vehicle can pose a lot of problems. I can see the appeal - Death dealers apply quite well for melta weaponry, giving your suicide melta squad an impressive 35/36 chance of hitting first turn but still, Maybe Raptor will be able to get some good angles with missiles or autocannons but I'd consider adding a few rapiers/lascannons anyway.

I'd say ease up on those incredibly $$$ melta pods a bit, maybe stay with Termis and replace veterans? - they cost the same with a pod as 6 Javelins, armed to teeth with your beloved melta and also 4 48" S8 shots. And I'd wager those would do more damage... Optimally diversify your shooting a bit, for example a couple fast javelins plus Venator/Vindicator and Rapiers/Heavy Support squad (good with Long March's Relentless). Just spitballing here, your choice really.

If you're adamant on triple melta pods, go ahead and try it out but for me it really limits your firepower. The list looks as if your Rite had some restrictions on heavy support and fast attack choices... but it doesn't! Long March is very lenient and flexible so freely resigning from precious heavy support seems ill-advised.

Also feel like a fist is a safer bet on the praetor; sure, a claw is slightly better than paragon blade against regular MEQs but the  fist is way more useful against vehicles/monsters and can also be a better choice in a challenge, depending on the challenger (for example, you're always better off with a fist against any higher Initiative praetors like Sevatar, Qin Xa, any EC, some BA etc...). Besides, no need for melta bombs then.

Thanks for the feedback guys! This was some really good advice. I feel like I’ve got a better diversity of units now

++ Crusade (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [3,000pts] ++

+ HQ: +

Master of Signal [95pts]: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword/Combat Blade, On Foot, Power Armour (Centurion/Consul)

. Consul

. . Master of Signal

Mortificator [692pts]: On Foot

. Combi-weapon: Combi-weapon: Meltagun

. Consul

. . Mortificator

. . . Contemptor Dreadnoughts

. . . . Contemptor Dreadnought, Legion: Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon

. . . . . Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon: Heavy Flamer

. . . . Contemptor Dreadnought, Legion: Multi-melta

. . . . . Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon: Meltagun

. . . . Contemptor Dreadnought, Legion: Plasma Cannon

. . . . . Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon: Twin-linked Bolter

. Power Weapon: Power Sword

. Tartaros Pattern Terminator Armour: Terminator Armour

Praetor, Legion [175pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Digital Lasers, Iron Halo, Mastercraft a Single Weapon, On Foot, Power Fist, Warlord

+ Elites: +

Apothecarion Detachment [110pts]

. Apothecary, Legion: Augury Scanner, None (Infantry, Power Armour), Power Armour

. Apothecary, Legion: Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner

Rapier Weapons Battery, Legion [165pts]

. Rapier Weapons Battery, Legion: Laser Destroyer Array

+ Troops: +

Tactical Squad, Legion (Compulsory) [300pts]: Bolters, 19x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

. Additional Wargear: Additional Chainswords/Combat Blades, Vexilla, Legion

Tactical Squad, Legion (Compulsory) [300pts]: Bolters, 19x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

. Additional Wargear: Additional Chainswords/Combat Blades, Vexilla, Legion

Tactical Support Squad, Legion Plasma Gun [210pts]: Plasma gun, Support Squad

. Rhino Armoured Carrier, Legion

. Sergeant, Legion: Bolt Pistol, Plasma Gun

. 4x Space Marines, Legion: 4x Bolt Pistols, 4x Frag and Krak Grenades, 4x Power Armour

+ Heavy Support: +

Fire Raptor Gunship, Legion [230pts]

. Four wing-mounted:: Hellstrike Missiles

. Two Independent Ball Turret-mounted:: Reaper Autocannon Battery

Heavy Support Squad, Legion [285pts]: Autocannon, 9x Space Marines, Legion

+ Allegiance +

Legion and Allegiance: XVI: Sons of Horus, Traitor

Rite of War: The Long March

+ Use Playtest Rules +

Use Playtest Rules Errata 1.0 (From FAQ 1.1 Feb/2019): Playtest Rules Errata 1.0 On

+ Warlord Traits +

Warlord Traits

+ Dedicated Transport Restictions +

Dedicated Transports Restrictions: Dedicated transports are part of the parent unit

++ Total: [3,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

I should say, the reason I didn’t add any jetbikes is because all of my infantry is using 30k-ified regular CSM models as I want them to match the new scale, and I thought it would be a fun modeling project. I think they fit the aesthetic of late-heresy well too with some head-swaps, older mark shoulder pads, and some of the older bolters. This is why I didn’t include the jetbikes, as I don’t think they will fit with those models. The crew on the rapiers should be easy to replace though!

As you can see, I dropped a bunch of stuff, and added some autocannon support, some rapiers, a plasma support squad, and a MoS to help my shooty guys. I’ve also added a 3rd contemptor because I just adore them and I figure I might as well squeeze in as many as I can with the Mortificator. The only thing I’m not sold on it the justaerin. I’ve gone down to one squad in a pod, but I was wondering if I could maybe drop the pod, make the squad bigger and footslog them as well? I feel like they’ll be too slow do earn their points back, but I also feel like one 5 man squad in a pod is kinda weak. I’d love to include them somehow though. Thoughts on how best to do so?

Also considering dropping the tacs down to 15 and increasing the size of the plasma squad

You're welcome; the list definitely looks more diverse. I hope it'll be nicer to play with. I noticed that you praetor lost his paragon blade in that whole claw-or-fist kerfuffle, was that intentional?

A point about autocannons – they compete mostly with missiles which are priced the same. If you want to go for maximum effectiveness, we have to consider both weapons preferred targets:

AV12 or less: Autocannons (though might have less Penetrates than launchers)

AV13: equal amount of hull point damage but Missiles can also Penetrate, Auto only glances

AV14: only missiles can glance, but only barely

When you also consider that missiles have better AP and option for S4 blast they seem to be a better choice for hunting medium (AV13) vehicles or marines even. They can tackle a lot of different targets unlike autocannons. That being said if you need a dedicated opener for Rhino/Boxnought/other stray AV11-12 targets /mechanicum’s Thallax and Vorax, than Autocannons are truly a good idea. There' s one thing however that can make the autocanons better than missiles even against Av13...

...MoS is a rather popular consul BUT if you want to buff anti-tank heavy support squad, then Siege Breaker’s gotta be more effective: MoS +1 BS is 25% effectiveness upgrade, SBs grants Tank Hunters - reroll armour pen -  it's worst case scenario (cannon’s S7 vs AV11) 50% buff, going to 83% against AV13. That being said, MoS has some additional buffs so you could defend your choice. But autocannons with siege breaker are really fearsome… Anyway, regardless I suggest giving your consul at least AA or Refractor

I can’t offer any good advice on plasma support squad size. I personally never liked them as they draw fire like magnets on my tables (could be a good thing…). If you don’t fancy them can always swap for Seekers/Termis/Veterans with combi-plasmas, only one salvo but otherwise more multi-purpose than support squad.

About Justaerin, hard to say will they earn their points back. Foot slogging with a combi melta doesn't seem to be very efficient. You could invest into land raider but they are even more expensive... You could also employ regular termis with combi-meltas, they are weaker but shoot the same and are cheaper. I'd rather use fluffier legion specific choice though if i can. Worst case scenario you have a good distraction unit that enemy might concentrate on.

Edited by Lautrec the Embraced