Finally dabbling in death guard!

dice4thedicegod

I’ve had a slow build up of death guard since I rejoined the hobby in 8th, grabbing cheap dark imperium models but never actually played with them until a new escalation campaign started at my LGS.

Just 500 points for now but got in games against Sisters (argent shroud iirc - the 5up deny ones), orks (death skulls) and orks (beast snagga goffs). I’m playing as the wretched.

Having played as blood angels in the last escalation, it’s nice to be able to take a punch for a change! They seem very tough… but slow!!!

1118026_sm-.jpeg

A few years ago, I picked up some blightlord bodies on the cheap to turn into mutilators (by adding possessed arms/weapons). Left me with a couple of blightlord bodies moldering away in my bits box.

I finally remembered I had them and noticed that the felthius/tainted cohort box was out again (and I’d recently picked up a terminator lord kit to build a sorcerer and therefore had an axe and combi bolter spare!).

So, grabbed felthius and the tainted cohort and tried to turn them into blightlords. Felthius getting a combi melta and balesword, the spewer becomes a flail guy (thanks to spare mortarion bits- who I’ve also picked up!)

1118339_sm-.jpeg

Needs a little tidying up. And flail guy has a slightly odd pose due to previously holding a spewer… but usable I think!

Aspiring champion felthius looks so happy at the prospect of melting someone!

Played a fourth game , this time a bloodbath against the thousand sons. Ended up with me tabling him at the bottom of t4 and winning by 5 points, with only a wounded plaguecaster and a sole chaos spawn left. He had a mutilith that didn’t want to die - nasty at 500 points!

3 Spawn (with the upgrade strat) remaining a great unit.

Mortal wounds are horrible!

4-0 so far. About to move to 1000 points!

Edited by dice4thedicegod

The escalation league moved up to 1000 points and I switched it up to mortarions anvil. Went for a bunch of simple, durable melee units:

Daemon prince (revolting resilience, warp insect hive)

5 plague marines (powerfist, flail, double knives)

5 plague marines (powerfist, flail, double knives)

10 poxwalkers

3 deathshroud (reaper of entropy on champ)

Contemptor dreadnought with volkites

Foetid bloat drone

5 chaos spawn (with grandfather blessings)

First game was against grey knights. He kept a lot in reserve, so while I started strong, I worried about his turn 2 reinforcements. As it happened, he had 2 squads of purifiers charge into the big central melee that I was winning… the first kinda whiffed against the bloat done and before the second squad could delete my deathshroud and plague marines, I interrupted with the sole surviving deathshroud (mortal wounds had finished his companions) and he single handily wiped the squad. After that it snowballed my way and he conceded at the end of t 2 with maybe 100 points left on the board.

Ps: castellen Crowe versus daemon prince is an easy daemon win.

Second game was against szekharan necrons, who went heavy into destroyer cult. Honestly, I just felt that this was a case of a stronger codex bullying a weaker one. I just kinda bulled my way through to tabling him.

2-0.

Including the 500 point games… 6-0. (By comparison, my blood angels were 2-2 at this stage. Given it’s largely the same pool of opponents, I feel that this reflects the relative power of the codexes).

I expect my forces will suffer a bit when it moves up to larger tables and I really feel the lack of maneuverability a bit more. (But darn, the death guard are feeling strong!)

Great Topic!

1.) Would you like to share the recipe for your basic green on the armor?

2.) In your last game you took 2 units of Plaguemarines. What about 1 unit of Posessed instead of 1 unit of Plaguemarines?

Thanks!

It’s a pretty simple recipe:

1) Army painter green primer

2) Dry brush/highlight with army painter necrotic green

3) copious amounts of agrax earthshade. :)

I’ve been looking at possessed… just unconvinced what models to use and if they’d be a noticeable step up from plague marines (flail marines are so good!)

I think I need to study their DataSheets again and see if I can get a good deal on some putrid blight kings!

And now the big guy

1120977_sm-.jpeg

The wings are a bit lighter than it looks in the photo… but still a bit more monochrome than I expected (experimented with biel tan green… and it is pretty strong stuff)

I’m really liking your army, if it seems monochrome that’s because there isn’t enough contrast. I would suggest putting a complementary color, something red or orange.

Look how your pox Walker’s pop with that orange vest the contrast is very pronounced.

I’m really liking this thread good stuff.

Edited by brother_b