Coils of the Hydra 3000 points

strawberry fist

Hello all, my brother is making an Alpha Legion (Coils of the Hydra)  list ready for a tournament in October. As I don't play Alpha Legion, can anyone make any suggestions to make this balanced and competitive enough to hold its own so he can, hopefully, win at least one game. He is thinking of choosing scout as his basic mutable tactic but said he would alter it depending upon who he is up against. Alpharius will be going with the Larmean terminators in the Spartan. The warmonger will attach himself to the tyrants to give them deepstrike (though they will more than likely will start on the board) 

Tournament List 2 - Coils of the Hydra 

HQ 

Warmonger Consul

-artificer armour

-Volkite Charger

-power sword 

Elites 

Contemptor Mortis 

-Kheres X2

-extra armour 

Larmean terminators X5.         

-Cataphracti armour

-Terminator Sergeant, Volkite charger, Chainfist, power dagger 

- Terminators x4 Chainfist, 

-Volkite Charger  

Spartan Assault Tank      

-Armoured ceratite.    

-Auxillary drive 

-dozer blade 

Rewards of Treason 

Tyrant Siege Terminators 

Troops 

Tactical Squad

-vexilla

-artificer armour

-power fist

Rhino

-extra armour 

Tactical Squad

-vexilla

-artificer armour

-power fist

Rhino

-extra armour 

Tactical Squad

-vexilla

-artificer armour

-power fist

Rhino

-extra armour 

Tactical support Squad X10

-Volkite Charger

Rhino

-extra armour

Tactical support squad X5

meltaguns

Rhino  

Fast 

Sabre

-autocannon

-Multi Melta

Sabre

-autocannon

-Multi Melta

Heavy 

Predator

-extra armour

-las sponsons

-machine spirit 

Lords of War 

Alpharius 

Edited by strawberry fist

If you want to go competitive, I suggest you play to your legions strength. Which for AL is higher point games bringing Alpharius and then particluarly in shooting. Many other primarchs are combat monsters and have a large impact on the game, Alpharius is the opposite, he is weak in close combat (relative to his primarch brothers) but the best overall army buffer when it comes to large points games thanks to PE (everything).

One of the stronger AL army builds is RoW CotH taking infiltration consisting of Alpharius together with 10x siege tyrants and another unit of 10 Heavy volkite Culverins with a master of signal. This will yield 20x S8 krak missiles, and 40x S6 volkite shots all of them at BS5 rerolling (hitting 2's) and rerolling 1's. So you will most likley hit with all shots, with this much shots you can with weight of fire take down complete units (strong ones as well) in one round of shooting. Together with it you bring your three mandatory tacticals (PF,PD and AA on the sarge) in rhinos.

Also a primaris lightning with kraken penetrators to pop enemy spartans that is likely to come in early game thanks to Alpharius buffs.

Fill up the rest of the points with strong units like javelins with missiles, combi plasma termninators in dreadclaw (shoot plasma out of deep strike and also good i close combat).

Thanks for the reply, we’ve tweaked the list slightly to give it more fire power and make the most of PE. How’s this list?

HQ

Warmonger: volkite charger, power sword, artificier armour. (to go with tyrants to get around them having to take a transport to allow for choice of mutable tactics)

Troops

Tactical Squad: vexilla, rhino with multi-melta, sgt- power fist and artificier armour.

Tactical Squad: vexilla, rhino with multi-melta, sgt- power fist and artificier armour.

Tactical support squad: (7 man) plasma gun, sgt- artificer armour and melta bomb

Elites

Laser destroyer array: 2 rapier laser destroyers

Larmean Terminators: (5 man) all with volkite and chain fist, sgt has a power dagger as well, with Spartan - dozer blades, armoured ceramite (dedicated transport)

Contemptor Mortis: Kheres assault cannons, extra armour

Reward of Treason: Tyrant Seige Terminators: (5 man) all with power fists

Fast

Sabre Strike Tank: snub autocannon, Multi-melta

Heavy

Predator: lascannon, machine spirit, extra armour.

I do not play Alpha Legion, but wouldn't a squad of Seekers with combi-Plasma be a better fit for the Legion-Fluff, than a Plasma Support-Squad?

Also scoring, but Cheaper and better!

And if you loose the Contemptor, you can fit them in a Land Raider Proteus for the same Points.

...or just a good old Rhino!

Hi, I run a list similar to the above but obviously a little different.

A few comments if I may:

HQ

Warmonger: volkite charger, power sword, artificier armour. (to go with tyrants to get around them having to take a transport to allow for choice of mutable tactics)

Good Choice for the Tyrants assuming you don't want to infiltrate via mutable tactics - it does free up your choice.  I tend to prefer a Power Axe over a Powersword as even lowly Sgts get artificer armour and while your hits will bounce of his 2+ you will get fisted by his opponent in a challenge and instakilled.

Troops

Tactical Squad: vexilla, rhino with multi-melta, sgt- power fist and artificier armour. - I have found a Power Axe and Meltabombs a better choice.  I like to add in additional close combat weapons. I would give all of your Sgts power daggers so if you need points then drop the Vexilla

Tactical Squad: vexilla, rhino with multi-melta, sgt- power fist and artificier armour. -  as above

Tactical Squad: vexilla, rhino with multi-melta, sgt- power fist and artificier armour. -  For my third troop choice I find that a 10+ man assault squad very handy.  Particularly if you get to infiltrate them for a turn 2 charge.  

Tactical support squad: (7 man) plasma gun, sgt- artificer armour and melta bomb - Rhino??  Seeker Squad in a rhino with combi-plas would be a better choice I think.  Special ammo also handy after the first shots fired

Elites

Laser destroyer array: 2 rapier laser destroyers - tick - I run two of these myself

Larmean Terminators: (5 man) all with volkite and chain fist, sgt has a power dagger as well, with Spartan - dozer blades, armoured ceramite (dedicated transport)

I can see that you are wanting the spartan for only 5 terminators to ensure that you can get Alpharius into the opponent.  However, if you have a landraider in your cupboard then use this instead - you can then reveal Alpharius on turn 2 when you disembark.  Sure you loose one terminator but save big points on having a Spartan.  You can then have the option of putting Alpharius with another unit rather than the obvious.

Contemptor Mortis: Kheres assault cannons, extra armour - solid choice

Reward of Treason: Tyrant Seige Terminators: (5 man) all with power fists - solid choice but think about having one chainfist (just in case)

Fast

Sabre Strike Tank: snub autocannon, Multi-melta - I don't have any of these so I don't have an opinion

Heavy

Predator: lascannon, machine spirit, extra armour. -  I assume you mean lascannon sponsons but IMHO not sure you need the machine spirit here as all of the weapons will be most likely targeting the same enemy vehicle.

Edited by RoadRunna