What should happen with the assault squad?

at the moment you have to pay a tax for them. The slot is not attractive. Troop choices dont cost CP usually because you have to take them and this includes a powerful special rule. Devastor marines and assault squads - should get obsec.

At least it should be possible to make some of them a troop choice. Blood Angels for example should have them in troop slot ( a guarantee that they wont be spammed could be a restriction of 1 per Captain with a jump pack)

even if they were spammed they’re not strong enough to be OP if spammed.
but why should anyone take other troopchoices if ther is a similar unit in statlines which have 12" movment and cost the same points. And have Chainswords instead. It would be spammed. I would always take them 3x. instead of intercessors for same price.
why? Because intercessor are still better in basically every way except for movement, and tactical marines provide more flexibility still.

Intercessors have much better support in the main SM codex. Gene wrought might, Rapid Fire, Transhuman (and Honour the Chapter for Assault intercessors) would make first born assault marines with jump packs excellent units.

But even with all of those strats, I find myself dropping obsec troops altogether from my BA lists because obsec on a troop unit that doesn't mesh well with the rest of my army, battle plan, or have a 12" move and most importantly, FLY,  is a waste of points.

But this isn't a call for giving assault marines obsec. As I said before, all they need is a point drop to 15ppm with jump packs. Extended weapon options wouldn't do much to make them more desirable because VV's already have all the melee options for 1ppm more, and legends Company Vets with jump packs can take anything at just a 2ppm premium over ASM.

Easiest solution. Just make them troops choices. Works in 30k.

This is the reason I chose Blood Angels when I was picking a parent chapter for my Marines - or at least why I use the BA Codex. They USED TO have Assault Marine troops. It fit the idea in my head of what I wanted my Marines to be / do.

I don't think 15 points assault marines would be good for the game now that they have a two wound profile. They'd be solid as a troop, or just having obsec. I wouldn't be surprised if they were a popular troop but...

1) firstborn should have a second troop choice.

2) they would be bad objective baby sitters. If you aren't using 9th edition chapter approved missions this may not matter, but if you are they are going to have a built in drawback. So your going to have to make some concessions to make the list work.

3) It would increase the list diversity, which is really important when you have one fraction that is so much more popular than the rest.