Miniwargaming Battle Report featuring yours truly!

9x19 Parabellum

Oh, hey, I just watched that!

Great job putting on a fun battle-report. I agree that I feel like you spent too much on characters, but it was cool to see them all, and I really enjoyed watching the Triumph just lumber all over the middle of the board trying to punk fools. Very cool!

Cool to see you in a battle report. Sorry you had to lose to Miniwargaming. Well... at least it was Luka and not Matthew* :lol:

*I'm not a fan of Matthew's seeming habit of "conveniently" forgetting or misinterpreting his rules, it seems to come up every single game of his I've watched, to the point where I don't like watching BatReps he's in.

• 3 weeks later...

So I bring you guys a 2.5 hour bat rep featuring at least, can we say "nicely" painted minis (I don't want to pat myself on the back), hand delivered to the sisters community, and a total of 3 responses are made?

Black Templar forum had 70 PAGES of discussion and excitement based on like 3 pictures.

I'm sorry but just gonna say it; the SoB community here is kinda crap.  I'll probably get in trouble, but so be it.

So I bring you guys a 2.5 hour bat rep featuring at least, can we say "nicely" painted minis (I don't want to pat myself on the back), hand delivered to the sisters community, and a total of 3 responses are made?

Black Templar forum had 70 PAGES of discussion and excitement based on like 3 pictures.

I'm sorry but just gonna say it; the SoB community here is kinda crap.  I'll probably get in trouble, but so be it.

I am truly sorry your battle report didn't bring you the e-fame you were hoping for.  Perhaps try Kinder surprise eggs next?  

Seriously though the army is really well painted (you can pat yourself on the back).  Do you want feedback?  Do you just want us to look and gawk?  I watched it and said "that was another neat batrep".  I suppose I could have posted that but there wasn't anything important to say in it so I didn't bother.

The black templars players have nothing but time to discuss batreps because none of them play (maybe now with new models they will).  If you want a discussion, start one!  

Seriously the army looks great though

I am truly sorry your battle report didn't bring you the e-fame you were hoping for.  Perhaps try Kinder surprise eggs next?  

Seriously though the army is really well painted (you can pat yourself on the back).  Do you want feedback?  Do you just want us to look and gawk?  I watched it and said "that was another neat batrep".  I suppose I could have posted that but there wasn't anything important to say in it so I didn't bother.

The black templars players have nothing but time to discuss batreps because none of them play (maybe now with new models they will).  If you want a discussion, start one!  

Not looking for fame, just discussion/conversation/something to look forward to when I log on to the sisters forum.

Even "ebon chalice is crap, you shoulda used bloody rose" would be nice.  "Hey I like the Triumph of St. Katherine too, but I don't think it's too expensive!"  "Aestred Thurga is great, you just used her wrong. Here's how I recommend doing it." 

Thanks for the army painting praise though! 

Not looking for fame, just discussion/conversation/something to look forward to when I log on to the sisters forum.

Even "ebon chalice is crap, you shoulda used bloody rose" would be nice.  "Hey I like the Triumph of St. Katherine too, but I don't think it's too expensive!"  "Aestred Thurga is great, you just used her wrong. Here's how I recommend doing it." 

Thanks for the army painting praise though! 

I'm always down for some good ol forum chatter!

I really like the triumph of st Catherine but I find it hard to justify using it.  Shes a glorified buff bot (albeit a good one) but the offensive/defensive potential just really isnt there I feel.  Do you have different experiences with that?  I know everyone is using bloody rose because lets be honest, its great, but I am usually more interested in creating something interesting than "heres what everyone else is doing because its super powerful". so kudos to you.  Although running Ebon Chalice, I feel the correct choice is to bring the triumph.

Did you at any point feel like you were too miracle dice starved or were you able to generate them without any issues?  I find by the end of the game, ive got a pool of 3 or 4 1's and 2's so that would be a good solution to the problem.

So regarding the triumph; I think it does the things it should do. Meaning it has rules and value that nothing else brings to the table. The problem is, in my opinion, it's just too expensive.  I think 175-180 would have it actually see some use.  There are some units, for example, basic Celestians, that I just can't wrap my head around why you'd ever use them, (unless you made them less expensive than battle sister squads, but even then....I'm not sure what you'd bring them for??)

Re: Miracle dice....I mean, you can always use more miracle dice, but I wouldn't say I was starved for them, no.  Again, I brought 2 units that add additional miracle dice; the triumph and the battle sanctum...but 300 pts is way too much to devote to generating 2 extra miracle dice.  Granted they do more than that, but not enough more than that.

One thing I learned is that there is no saving Sisters that have a target painted on them.  A unit of 10 will not help your 4 heavy flamer sisters live any longer.  The sisters army has to be viewed from the standpoint of trading assets; much like chess. I obliterate your unit of 20 warriors, but that unit of retributors is gone.   To that end, i think the proper way of playing this list concept is 1x unit of PE's with heavy flamers and 2 units of 5 retributors in one Rhino, disembarking 1 unit of 5 each turn, doing their spray, and then knowing they'll die.  Then the next unit disembarks the next turn and does the same thing (I'm including the stratagem usage as an essential part of their play, which is why they don't both go out on the same turn.)  So the PE's would run up turn 1 with 20" threat range (8" move + 12" flamers) if such a move would get them in flamer range of something useful.  If not, Ret team 1 would disembark 3" + 6" move + 16" flamer range (includes EC strat) = 25".  PE's do their thing on turn 2.  Then Ret team 2 does their thing on turn 3. 

• 3 weeks later...

I totally agree about using the Sisters as trading pieces, they just don't last long enough regardless of unit size. MSU is the way to go.

For Ebon Chalice threat saturation one thing I like to do is unload a Rhino with a Dominion storm-bolter squad (Sacred Bolts stratagem for mortal wounds) and a Retributor multi-melta squad + cherubs on turn two, shooting priority targets and using the Rhino to obscure them from other threats. On the same turn, I bring in a heavy-flamer Retributor squad + cherubs from reserves with a Palatine (9 PL total so only 1 CP) and use the Cleansing Flames stratagem for mortal wounds on top of the auto-hitting, long range flamers re-rolling wound rolls of one. If you need more damage, you can use the automatic max hits flamer stratagem or the Holy Trinity stratagem if the Sister Superior has a combi-melta (RAW, the combi-melta is both a bolter and a melta weapon even if you shoot with only one profile).

It can be CP intensive depending on how many strats you use, but can give good trades for the points and leave your opponent with the tough decision of which units to try to kill. Like you said, they will definitely kill the unit(s) they deem highest priority, but if you position well they might not have enough anti-infantry to get all three.

Then on turn three, you roll out the second Rhino with another Dominion and Retributor squad and start over