Best sources of lore for GC/HH titans?

Ubiquitous1984

What are the best lore books to get to learn more about the 30K titans please?

The AT books themselves, Titandeath, Mortis

Sorry for the huge n00b question, but what are the AT books?  Are they forgeworld issued rule books?  Or something else?  Do they have specific names I can search for?

I recall in one of my black books there was an Ordu Sinister section, but I can't recall anything else in the black books about Titans (or is there?)

Many thanks!

“AT books” refers to the Games Workshop expansions for Adeptus Titanicus (AT), like Titandeath. You’ll find these on Games Workshop’s website under the Boxed Games section for Adeptus Titanicus.

The Forgeworld “Black Books” such as Betrayal are really high end books which focus on the Horus Heresy, so primarily rules and background for Space Marines. You got a few pages of background for a Titan Legio or two in the earlier books (can’t comment on anything past book 4 as I have not read them), but they are expensive enough that you probably wouldn’t buy them for the Titan background (fluff) alone.

Hope this helps.

Dallo

The loyalist Legio book is actually a lot better for background fluff on the Legios it contains than any of the previous books have been. Presumably that’ll also be true of this traitor one. That would be a really good thing I think. There just isn’t all that much information out there on lots of Legios.

For black library I’d recommend Titanicus by Dan Abnett. I think he’s the stand out author for BL really. His book isn’t set in the heresy but it’s loyalist titans vs traitors, so close enough really.

The AT rulebooks are pretty good for Titan lore now. They had the basics in the core rulebook, but actual Legio fluff was mostly absent until Loyalist Legios, where they included new information and recompiled some of the stuff found in the Horus Heresy Black Books. The Black Books don't really have a great deal of general stuff in them that is covered by AT, and with Traitor Legios out the only Black Book Legios lacking coverage in the AT game will be Xestobiax (Horus Heresy Book 7: Inferno and the three Victorum Legios; (Horus Heresy Book 9: Crusade).

Titanicus and Mechanicus are both books that were heavily Titan focused, and are very good at explaining/describing the basics of how Princpes and Titans work, even if they predate the 'modern' Black Book and AT treatments.. Titandeath centers around the biggest Titan engagement of the Horus Heresy, including in depth looks at the Legios Solaria and Vulpa. The Horus Heresy Black Library Book Betrayer features Legio Audax, as does the short story the Ember Wolves. The Siege of Terra book Mortis, despite the name, probably does more for Legio Ignatum.

Warlord: Fury of the Omnissiah, and Imperator: Wrath of the God-Machine are both Titan centric 40k novels, though to be honest I wouldn't recommend reading them solely for research purposes.

Hi Ubiquitous.

If you're just looking for straight lore, you can always check out sites like Lexicanum, which has lots of Titanicus material.

If you're looking to be entertained, then Dan Abnett's book Titanicus is practically without peer.

If you're thinking about getting into the Adeptus Titanicus game, then the game books are the way to go...

What are the best lore books to get to learn more about the 30K titans please?

Stuff like Loyalist Legions, Crucible of Retribution, Titandeath, Defence of Ryza, Shadow and Iron.

From Black Library on 30k, you'd be looking at Titandeath by Haley and Mortis by French mostly.

And of course the Horus Heresy Black Books come super highly recommended but they contain smaller sections on the Titans ( with some very good artwork though).