GW's business model - the future and 3D printing

Captain Idaho

I think yes 3d printing will eventually wreck GW's current business model. The music industry vs napster is probably a good comparison. However, I think GW is currently in the process of transitioning into a media company. They probably see video games and film/TV as their future core business, and models as a secondary thing that's really a way to further monetise the media they produce/sell to producers. 3d printing is fire under their arse to do this as fast as possible, it's not just financial opportunity it's avoiding corporate catastrophe.

If we consider their recent output it supports this thesis, the focus is on IP really, not models. More importantly if we look at their stock valuation, it's valued with this in mind, the market is expecting/speculating on this, otherwise it's insanely overvalued for a retail company, by 3 or 4 times over.

There's pretty strong rumours some kind of total war 40k game is in the works at an early stage, but with major funding. The WFB Old world is clearly being made with the aim of being sold to CA as a total warhammer sequel game. Who knows what the 40k Amazon show can lead to? AoS has proven not great as a sellable IP, because frankly as an IP its absolutely abysmally written, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's taking a bit of a backseat in 5 years time, with the Horus Heresy and the Old World getting a lot of focus to jack up the IP valuation.