Lore question: lost crusades?

Amocat

Anyone know if there’s any official lore of notable BT crusades that were lost/destroyed/disappeared?

The Ophidium Gulf Crusade was an incident in the recent history of the Black Templars Chapter of Space Marines in which contact was inadvertently made with the Fallen Angels, the hunted Traitors of the Dark Angels Chapter.

Not all the Crusades of the Black Templars are vast undertakings, as some may be comprised of as little as one hundred Initiates. In 998.M41, one such Crusade was launched by Castellan Raimer, the Master of the Black Templars' Strike Cruiser Ophidium Gulf and its company of 90 Black Templars, into an unexplored region of space in the galactic south called the Veiled Region by Imperial stellar cartographers. There, the Black Templars found a small alien empire located in a single star system. The xenos lived in great cities of gold and followed the commands of a theological leader which they addressed as "the Voice of the Emperor." Curious at this strange similarity to the Imperial Cult, Castellan Raimer destroyed the temples before continuing into the system. As they came across more settled planets, the Black Templars found that some of them had already been destroyed by an unknown force even greater than themselves. The Ophidium Gulf was a fast vessel and soon caught up with the interlopers, a small fleet of Space Marine starships which the sensorium of the Ophidium Gulf later confirmed belonged to the Dark Angels Chapter. Raimer promptly offered the fleet commander, an unusually tall Astartes (who never removed his helmet), the Black Templars' aid in their mission, aid which the Dark Angels only very reluctantly accepted. As they neared the centre of the star system, on the most densely populated planet, the Space Marines together fought their way through a horde of crazed alien religious fanatics until the Black Templars captured the Voice of the Emperor and learned the source of the aliens' strange religion. The Voice of the Emperor was a single Space Marine in ancient Mark I Thunder-pattern Power Armour dating back to the Emperor's Unification Wars on Terra in the 30th Millennium which was black with no adornment or livery of any sort. The Black Templars took the unusual Astartes prisoner and locked him away in the deepest, most secure holding cell of the Ophidium Gulf. No sooner had he done this than Master Raimer was visited by the Dark Angels' commander (who still refused to show his face) who demanded that Raimer hand over the prisoner to his custody. It was only when the Dark Angels' fleet began to ready their weapons that Raimer relented since his single strike cruiser was no match for the Dark Angels fleet and he released the prisoner to the other Space Marines. Before leaving, the Dark Angels' commander finally removed his helm, revealing a face twisted with scars and adorned with the symbols of Chaos. Before the Black Templars could react, the "Dark Angels" teleported back to their fleet and disappeared into the Warp without another word. This is one of the only reported instances of a Space Marine Chapter (other than the Dark Angels) coming into contact with the infamous Chaos renegades known as the Fallen Angels. The ultimate fate of the Ophidium Gulf is unknown, as a single astropathic communication from the starship was received just before it prepared to make a Warp jump from the aliens' system and no further communication has been received by the Black Templars since then. The fate of the ancient Space Marine who had been responsible for the creation of the alien species' religion remains unknown.

Then you missed the line, it was subtle: 

"Thousands of boarding actions cycled through Dahan’s awareness, the particulars of each combat parsed and either discarded or added to the growing database of likely outcomes. He processed engagements large and small –mass assaults on capital ships, desperate counter-boardings of mid-displacement cruisers, grappling actions of burning gunboats. The free-associative portions of his inloaded combat-memes were replete with notable boarding actions that offered the closest correlations with the current action. Assault on the Circe by warriors alleged to be World Eaters. Capture of the Dovenius Spear by the Ultramarines First Company. Destruction of the Ophidium Gulf by the Dark Angels."

Well, in bayokuz's story, the black templars scanners scanned them as dark angels, even though they were chaos. It is possible the database he is perusing has the same issue, yah?

Well, in bayokuz's story, the black templars scanners scanned them as dark angels, even though they were chaos. It is possible the database he is perusing has the same issue, yah?

I have honestly never seen that version of the story, where the 'dark angels' are revealed to be the Fallen, in all other versions, the Dark Angels are simply Dark Angels. I'm not sure where BayoKuz has got that version from. 

Ok, so the version above is from here: https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Ophidium_Gulf_Crusade

I honestly have no idea where the extra bits about the Dark Angels being revealed as Fallen have come from. It's not mentioned in the original sources as far as I recall, (and my recall is pretty good!) it's also not mentioned in the Lexicanum version: https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Crusade_of_the_Ophidium_Gulf

I don't have either of the cited sources in the Fandom wiki to hand, but will check.

I genuinely think someone, (probably a DA fan!) has edited the Fandom version to exculpate the actual Dark Angels, and make out it was the Fallen. (Which doesn't even make sense, why would one set of Fallen help Templars hunt down another member of the Fallen?) 

Bloody traitors!

Ok, so the version above is from here: https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Ophidium_Gulf_Crusade

I honestly have no idea where the extra bits about the Dark Angels being revealed as Fallen have come from. It's not mentioned in the original sources as far as I recall, (and my recall is pretty good!) it's also not mentioned in the Lexicanum version: https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Crusade_of_the_Ophidium_Gulf

I don't have either of the cited sources in the Fandom wiki to hand, but will check.

I genuinely think someone, (probably a DA fan!) has edited the Fandom version to exculpate the actual Dark Angels, and make out it was the Fallen. (Which doesn't even make sense, why would one set of Fallen help Templars hunt down another member of the Fallen?)

Bloody traitors!

The dark angels on caliban who rebelled were in different groups but had the same goal.

Those who hated the lion, those who followed luther (biggest one), those who fell to Chaos, those who loved caliban and seeing it turn from a green planet of forests and castles to an engine of War filled with factories and many more all with a common goal of hating the lion. The modern Fallen fear the dark angels as they will drop everything to go to a hint of one. So being near another Fallen whos near your splinter group especially a loud one with a cult would be unwise and killing them off would be a valid option.

Edited by ChargingSoll

Then you missed the line, it was subtle: 

"Thousands of boarding actions cycled through Dahan’s awareness, the particulars of each combat parsed and either discarded or added to the growing database of likely outcomes. He processed engagements large and small –mass assaults on capital ships, desperate counter-boardings of mid-displacement cruisers, grappling actions of burning gunboats. The free-associative portions of his inloaded combat-memes were replete with notable boarding actions that offered the closest correlations with the current action. Assault on the Circe by warriors alleged to be World Eaters. Capture of the Dovenius Spear by the Ultramarines First Company. Destruction of the Ophidium Gulf by the Dark Angels."

That can be the last data which were transfered to anywhere from the BT as they were boarded by Fallen Dark Angels as they fought the battle. 

Why are World Eaters mentioned? I think they are also not loyal. correct me if i am wrong.

The Magos is internally reviewing a host of different boarding actions quickly, to see which ones are most alike to the one he is fighting. The three listed are the closest to the action he's fighting in the scene, they may be actions recorded by the victors or losers.

I've now been able to review the sources that Fandom cites as being the underlying data for the story. None of them mention anything about the Dark Angels being Fallen. Someone has re-written that story on that website so it bears no relation to the canon.

This is what the 4th Ed Codex says:

gallery_100735_13736_5396.jpg

This next section is what White Dwarf 312 had to say about the action, (I'll be honest, I haven't been able to verify this word for word, but I trust the guy who sent it to me.)

++The Ophidium Gulf Crusade++

"The final battle of the Ophidium Gulf Crusade was fought through the gold-paved precincts of the temple of the 'Voice of the Emperor', the last refuge of a mysterious individual who had somehow swayed an entire alien empire into becoming his own personal fiefdom. Such blasphemies could not be allowed to stand and, together with warriors from the Dark Angels who were already prosecuting the attack on the system, Castellan Raimer's Sword Brethren led the Black Templars in the attack on the alien leader's Golden Palace.

While the Dark Angels destroyed the alien army from afar with deadly accurate fire from their Devastator squads, the Sword Brethren, led by Emperor's Champion Korbinian stormed the main gate of the palace after they had been destroyed by a multi-melta blast from a Land Raider Crusader. The alien's technology was advanced and terrifying, their warriors able to slip invisibly through the battlefield and their weapons able to easily defeat the formidable protection offered by with strange multi-phasic beams. Though numbering less than a hundred warriors, the Black Templars pushed on through the deadly fire, eventually breaching a vast, domed chamber in the heart of the palace, though it seemed to Korbinian that they had been allowed to reach this place. In the center of the chamber sat a curious figure, one clad in black armor like that of a fellow Space Marine. As the Black Templars entered, the figure rose and it was clear to all that he was indeed a Space Marine his size and bearing. Despite a sword sheathed across his back and twin pistols belted at his side, the warrior made no attack and merely smiled as though he had been pleasantly surprised, saying, "You are not the lapdogs of the Lion...how curious."

Since the figure was a Space Marine, Korbinian stayed his hand and relayed news of his discovery to Castellan Raimer, who bade him link up that they might return the prisoner to him for questioning - a decision Raimer soon had cause to regret when the Dark Angels discovered what had happened.

Though High Marshal Helbrecht has had no further communications with the Ophidium Gulf Crusade, he has grave suspicions as to its ultimate fate..." --Whte Dwarf #312 Pg 20 'Righteous Victories'

You need to forget everything that suggests that the Dark Angels in the story are not Dark Angels, the only member of the Fallen in the story is the marine Castellan Raimer captured, (Almost certainly Cypher) This whole idea that the Dark Angels are actually more Fallen, is something someone has made up at a later date, and bears no relation to the original lore. The idea doesn't even make sense, as why would a band of Fallen be looking for Cypher?

Graham McNeil has then clearly left this story hanging, until he wrote Forges of Mars 10 years later, he then dropped this little tidbit of lore into the story to explain what really happened to the Ophidium Gulf.

TL:DR - The Ophidium Gulf was destroyed by the ACTUAL Dark Angels.

Ok, so the version above is from here: https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Ophidium_Gulf_Crusade

I honestly have no idea where the extra bits about the Dark Angels being revealed as Fallen have come from. It's not mentioned in the original sources as far as I recall, (and my recall is pretty good!) it's also not mentioned in the Lexicanum version: https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Crusade_of_the_Ophidium_Gulf

Bloody traitors!

I dug out my 4th edition BT codex which has the original story with no mention of the fallen. I think the edit to make it fallen by a DA fan is right, particularly with the later note about DA destroying the ship.

I concur with Alderad. The Dark Angels being coy with the Ophidium Gulf is a part of their lore being secretive about the fallen. They don't want it widely known what happened, and with record keeping in the 40k verse being as bad as it is, keeping it a secret isn't too hard. It's known that they go all in when they find fallen members erasing this great shame and keeping it a secret. The two pistols and sword is definitely hinting at Cypher, with him being in possession of the Templars the dark secret of the Dark Angels is in the open with one of the largest chapters. It's not staying a secret much longer. So the DA fleet tidied up a loose end.

I wrote a follow on from the Ophidium Gulf incident back in 2012 as a bit of a fan fiction for my Black Templar army as to why they exist. I play mostly with some Dark Angels players so it fit the fluff nicely.

The origins of the Romellius Crusade:

Romellius Crusade

989.M41 – High Marshal Helbrecht is made High Marshal of the Black Templars after the death of High Marshal Kordhel.

997.M41 – The battle of Piscina IV between the Ork Warlords Gazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka and Nazdreg Ug Urdgrub and the Dark Angels space marines chapter.

998.M41 – During the Ophidium Gulf Crusade Castellian Ramier investigates an unknown Alien race that worships the “Voice of the Emperor”. During the Crusade Castellian Ramier joins a reluctant Dark Angels fleet. They capture a unknown armoured soldier, the “Voice of the Emperor”. Castellian Ramier takes the Unknown Soldier as prisoner aboard the Strike Cruiser Ophidium Gulf. The Dark Angels fleet targets the Ophidium Gulf requesting that they hand over the prisoner, or die. Castellian Ramier hands over the prisoner, the Dark Angel fleet disengages and enters the warp. The Ophidium Gulf transmits one final message and is never heard from again…

…Until now

++++ LAST KNOWN TRANSMISSION FROM THE OPHIDIUM GULF ++++

Priority Level: Fleet Intelligence-utmost urgency
Transmitted: Ophidium Gulf, Strike Cruiser, Veiled Region
Date: 3346998.M41
Transmitter: Astropath Prime Ridefort
Receiver: Astropath-terminus Spartin
Author: Castellian Ramier
Thought: Abhor the Witch among us!

I have received a prisoner from the deep within the Veiled Region of the Segmentum Tempestus. The prisoner was suspected to be a voice of chaos controlling the primitive alien race that inhabited the planets within the system; they knew it as the Voice of the Emperor. Upon entering further into the planetary system we detected a small fleet from the Dark Angels. They were also on a crusade within this region of unknown intent. When our Brothers breached the walls of alien defences on the final planet in the system we encountered an unknown soldier clad in dark power armour.

++++ CLASSIFIED LEVEL-5 ++++

What follows next brother is information that confirms the High Marshals suspicions of our fellow warriors in arms. The Dark Angels have been the source of suspicion and unknown crusades for millennia since the Heresy. The prisoner informed our brother Chaplain Payens upon interrogation that the history of the Dark Angels is bound with taints of chaos and the witch. The Dark Angels have been on a millennia long crusade to recapture those they call the Fallen. The unknown soldier captured informed brother Chaplain Payens that upon arrival at Caliban Primarch Lion El’Johnson was engaged by his mentor Luther under suspicion of being tatinted by the chaos gods. Neither knew who was truly tainted by the gods, however there were rumours that El’Johnson was tainted by the chaos gods since his discovery in the inhabited forests of Caliban. After the final battle between El’Johnson and Luther there was an explosion in the warp caused by the chaos gods scattering the Fallen across space and time. The soldier we recovered was one of the Fallen.
Treat the Dark Angels and those who are charged with capturing the Fallen with deep suspicion being tainted by the warp. They cannot be trusted. I have to ask my fellow brothers, why did the chaos gods scatter those who fought El’Johnson? Why are the Dark Angels so determined to recapture the Fallen?
Abhor the Witch, Destroy the Witch!
No Pity! No Remorse! No Fear!

++++ END TRANSMISSION ++++

998.M41 – Marshal Romellius aboard the Battle Barge Saint-Omer accompanied by the Strike Cruisers Tremelay, Clairvoux, and Taranux was intercepting Ork pirate ships around the V’run System. During an ambush in the Hell Stars of the Caron Nebula the Saint-Omer intercepted a weak message from the Ophidium Gulf. Upon receiving the message Astropath Spartin enered the marshals private chambers accompanied by the Battle Barges Reclusiarch. The message was one of upmost importance that had to be delivered to the High Marshal himself. Transmitting it alone would be risky, given the risk the Ophidian Gulf took.

999.M41 – The Battle for Armageddon rages on and appears that the local forces would succumb to the Ork Waaagh! As the tide turns on the surface of Armageddon Ork Warlord Gazghkull flees the Armageddon system with the High Marshal and Commissar Yarrick aboard the Eternal Crusader in pursuit.

The Saint-Omer heeding the call of the War upon Armageddon disengaged from the Crusade against the Ork Pirates in the V’run system. Marshal Romellius received a message from High Marashal Helbrecht to turn towards the Golgotha system to engage the Ork Warlord.
Upon joining the impressive fleet of High Marshal Helbrecht, Marshal Ricard and Amalrich, Romellius boarded the Eternal Crusader to personally deliver the message from the Ophidian Gulf.
In the holo-vox room the impressive stature of Helbrecht, flanked by the Hero of Helsreach Reclusiarch of the Black Templars Grimaldus, Marshal Ricard and Amalrich joined Marshal Romellius for the final message from the Ophidian Gulf.
“This better be important to gather all of us here today” Grimaldus groaned.
“Calm, Reclusiarch” Helbrecht gestured, “The Marshal would not have brought us here if it was not important”.
“Thank you High Marshal” Romellius said.

He proceeded to read the final message of the Ophidian Gulf.

“Castellan Ramier was a good brother, hopefully he rejoins us soon” Marshal Ricard stated.
“I knew those dogs could not be trusted” Grimaldus grumbled “In Helsreach those Angels of Redemption were no where to be seen after promising to assist on the Docks”, “They were delayed…”
“This is no time to reflect on difficulties faced in Helsreach, only the glory of our brothers who sacrificed their lives in the name of the Emperor” Helbrecht noted
"Marshal Romellius, command your fleet towards the Golgotha system along with Marshal Ricard, seek out those who wish to deceive the Emperor, and find our lost brothers. If need be avenge their loss."

The Marshal accepted his orders "NO PITY! NO REMORSE! NO FEAR!"