Sammael vs biker Captain.

SmiteThemAll

Hey guys,

Just wanted to ask what you all thought of using a biker Captain with the mace of redemption and chapter master upgrade vs Sammael.

I want the CM re-rolls for a squad of black knights and I also want a fighty character to menace my opponent and deter charges vs my objective holding units.

I don't currently own the sammael model and tbh I think its a bit ugly. If you guys convince me to include him instead of a bike captain I could certainly make a conversion.

Thanks for any help!

Looking at the stats, I don't think the Mace of Redemption is that good. Unless you are fighting Heretic Astartes, I would suggest a Thunder Hammer is just as good and does not use up your Relic slot. I rarely take Relic weapons as I find that the capabilities offered by other Relics is often more useful than a slight increase in lethality.

Looking at the stats, I don't think the Mace of Redemption is that good. Unless you are fighting Heretic Astartes, I would suggest a Thunder Hammer is just as good and does not use up your Relic slot. I rarely take Relic weapons as I find that the capabilities offered by other Relics is often more useful than a slight increase in lethality.

Well its fairly close between the mace and the hammer. The hammer has 3 dmg vs 2. The Hammer has -2AP vs -3AP for the mace. They are both strength x2. The mace suffers no hit penalty and has the mortal wound mechanic vs chaos. The mace also only costs 5 points.

But even if you prefer the Thunder hammer the question remains. Sammael or a Bike CM ?

I'd go with Sammael:

• 150 vs 140 (base, no upgrades)
  • 15" move vs 14" move
  • Same WS/BS 2+, 3+, 4++, Ld, both T5. Both 4 attacks. Both re-roll 1s to core, CM re-rolls to 1 unit.
  • 8 wounds vs 6
  • Shooting: 8 bolter shots + D3 master-crafted plasma cannon shots vs 4 bolter shots + any gun you give the captain (e.g. master-crafted combi-bolter for 10 points + 1CP)
  • Melee (on the charge): 5 S12, AP-4, D2 attacks hitting on 2+ vs 6 S5, AP-1, D1 (chainsword) or whatever other weapon you give the captain. With the mace of redemption (also hitting on 2+) is 5 S8, AP-3, D2 attacks + special rules for mortal wounds vs Chaos 
  • Melee (after the charge) 4 S6, AP-4, D2 attacks vs 4 S8, AP-3, D2 attacks + special rules for mortal wounds vs Chaos both hitting on 2s.
  • Native fall back and shoot vs need a stratagem etc.
  • Sammael has round 60mm flying base, bike captain has oval 75 x 25 mm base, so in terms of spreading the re-roll auras, maybe a slight advantage to the bike captain. 

I think if you math-hammered it out, Sammael would be more points efficient (i.e. less points per point of unsaved damage inflicted) than a base bike captain, a bike captain with equivalent kit (e.g. combi-plasma + MC power sword or other melee weapon). Against chaos however, I think it would be very even, maybe slightly in favour to the bike captain due to mortal wounds in melee.

If your local meta has lots of chaos, coin-toss. If not, I'd go Sammael. 

Edited by XeonDragon

I'd go with Sammael:

• 150 vs 140 (base, no upgrades)
  • 15" move vs 14" move
  • Same WS/BS 2+, 3+, 4++, Ld, both T5. Both 4 attacks. Both re-roll 1s to core, CM re-rolls to 1 unit.
  • 8 wounds vs 6
  • Shooting: 8 bolter shots + D3 master-crafted plasma cannon shots vs 4 bolter shots + any gun you give the captain (e.g. master-crafted combi-bolter for 10 points + 1CP)
  • Melee (on the charge): 5 S12, AP-4, D2 attacks hitting on 2+ vs 6 S5, AP-1, D1 (chainsword) or whatever other weapon you give the captain. With the mace of redemption (also hitting on 2+) is 5 S8, AP-3, D2 attacks + special rules for mortal wounds vs Chaos 
  • Melee (after the charge) 4 S6, AP-4, D2 attacks vs 4 S8, AP-3, D2 attacks + special rules for mortal wounds vs Chaos both hitting on 2s.
  • Native fall back and shoot vs need a stratagem etc.
  • Sammael has round 40mm base, bike captain has oval 75 x 25 mm base, so in terms of spreading the re-roll auras, maybe a slight advantage to the bike captain. 

I think if you math-hammered it out, Sammael would be more points efficient (i.e. less points per point of unsaved damage inflicted) than a base bike captain, a bike captain with equivalent kit (e.g. combi-plasma + MC power sword or other melee weapon). Against chaos however, I think it would be very even, maybe slightly in favour to the bike captain due to mortal wounds in melee.

If your local meta has lots of chaos, coin-toss. If not, I'd go Sammael. 

Thanks, that is a really helpful breakdown. I think with the extra wounds, shooting, being able to fall back and shoot and saving a CP buying a relic, Sammael is definitely the winner VS all comers.

Now to find a model I can use, or maybe just a head swap on the current one.

Any ideas guys? 

Thanks for all the responses so far. 

Sammy is definitely a star in the Ravenwing, if you don't like the look there are many cool conversions made from Custodes bikers around for inspiration.

Also, to add a correction to the excellent breakdown above by Brother XeonDragon. Sammy is on a 60mm flying base not 40mm so auras are very similar.

Ah, my mistake, I will fix it! Thanks :)

Sammy is definitely a star in the Ravenwing, if you don't like the look there are many cool conversions made from Custodes bikers around for inspiration.

Also, to add a correction to the excellent breakdown above by Brother XeonDragon. Sammy is on a 60mm flying base not 40mm so auras are very similar.

I've ordered the Kromlech iron shark jetbike and some bits. Hopefully I can make a conversion I'm happy with.

• 2 weeks later...

I've ordered the Kromlech iron shark jetbike and some bits. Hopefully I can make a conversion I'm happy with.

I used the kromlech iron shark for mine too (just stuck a plasma cannon on it) :)

• 4 weeks later...