New Black Templar "combos"....

L30n1d4s

Actually my thoughts as well. 3+3 and go to town. We can do a proper "March of the Ancients", maybe even better than Iron Hands. I'm curious to see wether the tourny scene is going to use them.

I hope they wont. Those kind of broken abuses are the reason I hate competitive branch

Harlequins will be happy to be relevant again if it happens.

I hope they wont. Those kind of broken abuses are the reason I hate competitive branch

Not sure I'd call it broken in this case. Sure (Venerable) Dreads will be fairly nice with a 5++, but they're still non-Primaris and thus lack volume of fire. Dreads have rarely been considered very good when I've been playing, so I'll take any improvements as a "fan" of dreads (old and new alike).

Not a "combo" per se, but I feel they might be spicy: Venerable Dreadnoughts with Uphold the Honour.

140p gets you 2 non degrading MM shots at BS 2+, along with 4 DCCW attacks at WS 2+. And now they won't get shot off the board as easily thanks to the Vow. Pretty self reliant and cheap.

There is a unit called Myphitic Blight-hauler. It is 140pts(exactly same as a MM VenDread), MM and misslelauncher (also exactly same as a shooty VenDread), has T7 W9 3+ 5++, -1D(almost same as a Dread under Uphold vow) , AND a dedicated stratagem which -1 number of incoming shooting attacks(e.g. multi-melta become heavy 1 against it).

Fact: it is very seldom played in competitive events.

So i think adding a 5++ can't bring VenDread back to competitive stage. If future events proove I am wrong, I would be happy, since I have old firstborn dreads eating ashes on shelf.

Not a "combo" per se, but I feel they might be spicy: Venerable Dreadnoughts with Uphold the Honour.

140p gets you 2 non degrading MM shots at BS 2+, along with 4 DCCW attacks at WS 2+. And now they won't get shot off the board as easily thanks to the Vow. Pretty self reliant and cheap.

There is a unit called Myphitic Blight-hauler. It is 140pts(exactly same as a MM VenDread), MM and misslelauncher (also exactly same as a shooty VenDread), has T7 W9 3+ 5++, -1D(almost same as a Dread under Uphold vow) , AND a dedicated stratagem which -1 number of incoming shooting attacks(e.g. multi-melta become heavy 1 against it).

Fact: it is very seldom played in competitive events.

So i think adding a 5++ can't bring VenDread back to competitive stage. If future events proove I am wrong, I would be happy, since I have old firstborn dreads eating ashes on shelf.

There are some differences between them to be considered. You have CORE, with all the interactions that might give. Different strats (like Wisdom of the Ancient), inbuilt re-roll to charge and defense against MWs. Better WS and BF, a 6+++ and an actual melee profile, which does give you board presence.

It's certainly not the be all end all, but you get a nice package. A poor Crusade's Redemptor dreadnought, if you will :)

Edited by a_typical_hero

BF? you mean BS? (german?)^^

But dont forget all chapters have their special advantages. Raven Guard always stay in cover and have 2+ save for example. Imperial Fists ignore cover and Crimson Fists often have +1 to hit.... 

But yes - reroll charges for that meleepower is great.

How about this? I know everyone want to go melee, but,

•Castellan with MC Power Sword

•Crusader Squad (10) Swordbrother with Power Sword and HBP, 5 Initiates with Auto Bolt Rifle, and 4 Neophytes with Carbines

•Redemptor Dreadnought with Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Onslaught Gatling Cannon, and 2 Storm Bolters

So 15 Auto Bolter shots, plus 8 Carbine shots, rerolling 1s to wound, and rerolling 1s to hit (Wisdom of the Ancients). Also, the Redemptor has the Core keyword, so he gets to reroll 1s to wound, and I belive he also gets to reroll 1s to hit from Wisdom of the Ancients. Someone please correct if I am wrong or confirm if that is correct. I am fuzzy on that stratagem affecting the dreadnought as well.

I already made mention of this in the FAQ thread too, but it's something that GW hasn't FAQ'd and I haven't found a consensus on so far, but... 

The Stratagem Commanding Oratory goes as follows: "...Select one unit from your army that has not recited a litany this turn. That model can recite one litany that has not already been recited by a friendly model this turn. That litany is automatically inspiring ( do not roll) and takes effect until the start of your next Command phase.

Note, in comparison to all other mentions of reciting litanies, for example the Master of Sanctity ability:

"if this model is on the battlefield, it can recite one additional litany it knows that has not already been recited by a friendly model that turn."

Note the difference? Commanding Oratory does not say you must recite a litany you KNOW. Just that you can recite one litany that has not been recited by a friendly model this turn.

Does it then mean, that a Chaplain using Commanding Oratory can recite any litany of battle that has not been recited, even if he does not know it? And more importantly for BT, does it mean that a BT chaplain can recite any litany from both litanies of battle, and litanies of the devout? 

Huh, what makes the question interesting is that both versions are in the same book, so none is newer than the other (and thus more updated)...

so.. on account of being a stratagem that you pay CP for, I'd say it doesn't seem too out there that it be a more powerful version, so the very specific omission could be genuine and not an oversight?

I do feel like this question was brought up when the 9th edition book was first being talked about. Strange that we never got an answer.

Don't we also have a strat that auto casts litanies in our supp? I don't have the book for another two days, or I'd just go check myself. I dont feel like reading through blurry stuff and searching the forum post about it. How would those two strats work together, if at all?

•Crusader Squad (10) Swordbrother with Power Sword and HBP, 5 Initiates with Auto Bolt Rifle, and 4 Neophytes with Carbines

•Redemptor Dreadnought with Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Onslaught Gatling Cannon, and 2 Storm Bolters

So 15 Auto Bolter shots, plus 8 Carbine shots, rerolling 1s to wound, and rerolling 1s to hit (Wisdom of the Ancients). Also, the Redemptor has the Core keyword, so he gets to reroll 1s to wound, and I belive he also gets to reroll 1s to hit from Wisdom of the Ancients. Someone please correct if I am wrong or confirm if that is correct. I am fuzzy on that stratagem affecting the dreadnought as well.

Yes you're right about the Redemptor benefitting from his own re-rolls. I'd be more inclined to diversify the firepower a bit and take the Macro Plasma on the Redemptor as you've got plenty of anti-infantry with the rest of the loadout.

Yes you're right about the Redemptor benefitting from his own re-rolls. I'd be more inclined to diversify the firepower a bit and take the Macro Plasma on the Redemptor as you've got plenty of anti-infantry with the rest of the loadout.

Thank you.