Painting Magnus

Valkyrion

Pretty sure Youtube has tutorials for this for all skill levels.

The official product demo team have one.

And another for lord of change that might be useful.

Then there's a bunch of third party channels of varying length and parts and lengths you can find with a search.

I know mate, I've seen those, but I bought him already sprayed with Mephiston red.

I didn't just want to start daubing nuln oil all over him and ruin it, so was looking for tips. 

But ta anyway.

You can't really ruin a model like this by throwing on layers unless you want him white or yellow. Don't use Nuln Oil, base coat the non red areas with the colours you want them and use the Mephiston Red as a base for the reds. Then you're really in no different circumstance than if it had been primed in any other colour.

I don't think substituting the odd colour around can really ruin those tutorials. If you're not confident in painting big high detail models yet than the official tutorials really are pretty simple and the best way to build confidence, just don't care about using all the exact shades they use.

High detail big models are easier than they look with a little drybrushing. Just trying your best on the first one and going back later when you're more confident is how everyone ends up being able to paint them well.

You can just throw nuln oil on the skin and then drybrush mephiston red back over it. The worst that can happen is that the wash will pool badly but I don't think that will 'ruin' anything. If its really bad you can scrape off the pooled wash with a knife and then re-apply a base coat. You can also apply washes to limited areas in stages and lie the model at weird angles so you can pay more attention to how its drying.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

Like any other model, take it in chunks. If you aren't confident on washes etc, then jusr block in all the base colours. It's already sprayed red? That's half your work done, as in his surname. From there I'd:

Block in all the metals in the colour you want - going by box art, this would be 2 thin coats of leadbelcher as it won't cover 100% on meph red, then stormhost silver, 2 coats. 

You're now most of the way there. What colour do you want the wings? You can use duncan's methods there, or go back and contrast over them.

If you want a blue-silver look to the armour, do the above stormhost silver stages, then wash it with 1:1 talassar blue contrast and contrast medium, then drybrush necron compound. Dull grey? Nuln oil. 

Building up the red-look to the skin - do you want him more pinky like the above vid, or more reddy? Volpius pink contrast over that red skin will make it pinky, otherwise sheade it with a heavy recess shade of flesh tearer red - I use it to shade meph red on my blood angels - then drybrush wazdakka red for a more blue-red, or evil sunz scarlet for a more orange red. 

Edited by Xenith

I use Mephiston red (spray) as the basecoat of my Blood Angels and I'd add the following to the above - first thing to do is any areas you intend on having end up red go over them with a thin coat of pot Mephiston red - the spray is less vibrant and refracts differently so in order to allow touch ups you'll need to be running over the paint not the spray.

Other than that, as mentioned above Carroberg Crimson is a better shade for it than Nuln oil, but for areas where you want a darker shade, I'd suggest switching to Druchii violet over a heavier Carroberg, I prefer Evil sunz to Wazdakka as a drybrush highlight myself, but that's personal taste.