Drop Pod Templars

L30n1d4s

A lot of people are talking about how, with the new Codex Supplement, BT are significantly slower than they used to be (i.e. no Strat for Advance and Charge, Frontline Commander WL Trait nerfed, Devout Push Strat nerfed, etc.). Now, Templar players have gotten buffs to their durability, improved characters, the new Relic Bearers abilities (which are overall VERY good), and some additional unit options (i.e. Primaris Crusaders, Primaris Sword Brothers), so it is definitely not all a downgrade.

Given these changes, I have been thinking about how Templar players can mitigate this loss of mobility. As you might of guessed by now from the title, the idea I hit on was using Drop Pods to get BT forces stuck in as early as turn 1.

So, how can Drop Pods synergize with a Templar army? Well, of course, they allow Firstborn units to go into Reserve with no CP penalty or limitations, they give them the ability to land anywhere on the board starting turn 1, and they also make for decently sturdy Objective holders (especially if you are taking the Uphold Vow for a 5++).

On top of this, they work quite well with the BT Chapter Tactic for reroll charges and a Chaplain casting +2" to charge Litany. Multiple squads of Vanguard Vets coming out of a Drop Pod turn 1, supported by a second wave of Primaris advancing on foot (i.e. Helbrecht, Grimaldus, Bladeguard, Primaris Crusaders, Redemptors) and a couple of Incursor squads to infiltrate up and "clear out Drop Zones" for the Drop Pods could give you a really aggressive, in your face BT infantry force that applies pressure to the opponent immediately on turn 1-2.

Throw in a few "tech" units like Scout Bikers for even more first turn charges (16" base move and all) and an Apothecary for reviving models.

I'm not sure I'd put melee units into them, myself. I get wanting to do melee, but to me VV is simply better off with jump packs, because the packs cost way less than a drop pod does, and gives additional mobility beyond the initial landing. Sure, VV with packs can't do it on turn 1, but they can have board presence otherwise on turn 1 already when deployed on the board - jump to an objective to do Raise the Flag, for example, whereas a slower unit might struggle depending on terrain etc.

And I'm not sure what other melee squad I'd bother putting in there either given the cost of a pod. On the other hand you can load them up with deadly shooty units, be it Devastators or even Company Vets with suitable special weapons (though if you feel spendy you could even give the latter melee weapons beyond chainswords, too, in case you do get a charge off - not that four models does all that much, though you can of course put something else in there with them). And they won't end up doing nothing if a charge fails. But overall the thing with the turn 1 drops is that you'd really need a lot of them for them not to just die on the opponent's turn. And then you're just spending a lot of points on those pods, too, for a questionable effect in case of melee. That 9" is a bitch of a charge distance to make even with a reroll. I still only have the one pod assembled, but if I do end up using it, I'll probably chuck some MM Devastators in there.

Also of note is that given how easy it can be to screen your deployment area against deep strikes, you're often very limited on things you can charge with melee drops anyway. It's yet another reason I'm thinking of just deploying on the board with most things. Like in a battle today (CF, not BT, though) both of the deep strikes I did were entirely pointless because of screening, and I would've been better off just putting them on the board.

Im glad this came up because as soon as AAC came up I've being thinking the same, that Drop Pods may be a good way to get a turn 1 charge if thats your idea or even if the enemy is taking most of the board they can be good as some sort of counter-deploy after all if the enemy is a fast army they will be taking the board no matter what. Now what to put in them and how heavily should you lean into drop pods? They are 70pts iirc so max 3 is a good middle ground imo otherwise you are investing in too many transports and not enough units, Im not sure what to put in them as there are plenty of good options, Vanguard Veterans and a Chaplain are obvious choices, Devastators vs Company Veterans is a less obvious one as one is cheaper but the other is deadlier.

I like the idea of Phobos units to screen out the enemy, I didnt think of that and its incredibly cool that you are essentially securing the landing zones for the drop pods to arrive.

Drop pods are good. It's easy board control and helps dictate the pace of the battle in your favor.

However, melee units aren't the one. Its all but impossible to get the +2" charge litany off nearby iirc. Even then it's still entirely down to chance if you are going to make it into melee. It's a real gamble!

However, you could combine it with the Assault Doctrine Vow, meaning you're at maximum power if you do get in.

Shooting units do get their full output on the drop, there's no waiting around.

What's very interesting though, is potentially hybrid units. Those that can land, shoot and then hopefully charge and do a decent job of it all.

Maybe Company Veterans? They get access to pretty much everything and are a build a bear style unit. If not Sternguard are a decent middle-ground too with plenty of options.

Terminators are obviously the best "mixed" unit but I don't think they can go in pods and get deep strike anyway, a good second wave.

I used to use the skyhammer annihilation force for those that remember it, devastators in pods was really effective though you could drop the melee screen of assault marines I'm front which really helped.

Maybe assault marines or vv in pods without packs dropped in front of Devs?