Unit of the Week: Defiler

Xenith

++Thousand Sons Unit of the Week++

gallery_58096_7835_297847.gif

++Defiler++

New codex, new discussions about units! As we already have in other faction sections, this is the Thousand Sons Unit of the Week series, where each week we select and dissect a datasheet found in the book, and discuss how we use the unit in-game, favoured loadouts and combos, essentially how to use these units best. What have you found that works, and what doesnt? Please try to stick to the idea of making the unit in question work, as opposed to pointing out other units that might do a better job - we'll get to those in time!

This week, we will be discussing the original daemonic engine, the massive Defiler!

What are you thoughts, and how best would you use the unit?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around?
  • Will you be running multiples?
  • What <GREAT CULT>, loadouts, spell relic and Stratagem support do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Are you buffing this unit, and if so, how?
  • Are you building as a damage dealer or buff-provider?
  • Uses in Matched, Narrative and Open Play
  • How have they fared for you in-game?

Over to you.

++Thousand Sons Unit of the Week Index Link++

Edited by Xenith

In your haste, you copied the SOT blurb :tongue.: I've only recently got my Defiler going for my CSM, but he's already got a few games in and has done great.

The caveat being this was part of Daemon Engine lists, so the theme was closing anyway, but he offered some nice shooting on the way in and good clobbering when he got there (scourge and reaper build). With the 3+ to hit Thousand Sons have now got for their Daemon Engines this boost is effectiveness will go far and for a decent price, the strong long ranged shooting coupled with combat prowess are just what Sons need.

The main drawback is the model I think - though it's an iconic Chaos unit it is rather large and lacking in detail by comparison as it's quite an old kit. I think if it got an update with new techniques and the modern aesthetic mesh of flesh and machine they'd be a regular for many CSM forces. I may be biased though as I like my Daemon Engines... :laugh.:

This is a unit I have put some attention to lately. Mostly because I've been painting and making (IMHO) a wicked converted one ha! The defiler, to me is a nice little swiss army knife package. Not the cheapest, but the durability is a bit more than any other heavy support kin(due to the extra wounds). Something that can march in-step with your army and act as a counter in close combat if needed. But also capable of reaching out at range with the battle cannon, las, reaper, bolter, and havoc options. 

Not sure if it will be an army mainstay for me, but I plan on running it as a distraction carnifex. A big hulking range threat but uniquely has access to the smokescreen keyword. Thus, you can activate this at any time and not have to take up Glamour. 

Currently I am running a twin las, havoc, and inferno-combi build. The havoc is not my preferred choice, but I am trying to save points. I would prefer a twin heavy flamer. The havoc is a nice little extra to help shave off a wound or 2 from something that has good range. 

It has a lot of the same spell synergies as the forgefiend and since it cannot benefit from the native buffs, can act mostly independently. 

In summary, I see it as a tougher version of forge fiend with the ability to be a close combat threat. My current build puts it at 35 pts more than the forgefiend. And for the ability to be a threat in combat, the smokescreen keyword, and little bit of extra toughness is worth it to me.

Edited by Ahzek451

In your haste, you copied the SOT blurb :tongue.:

Haha, good catch - blame the software - it automatically appended my response to the SOT topic to the original post, which I then forgot about when I copy/pasted! 

Great to see it's working for you both - I'm super tempted to get one, or at least kitbash one from my massive pile of bits - the flat D3 on the battlecannon seems great, and puts it in a similar place to the forgefiend - as you say manyeba blend of both, some D3 shooting with good melee ability? I think this really wants to be in combat where it is less likely to get shot, so I'd avoid blast weapons like the havoc. 

Aside from kit limitations I prefer it cheap also, though as Xen says I don't think the havok is that useful as you want him in combat sooner or later where the scourge will do much more for you. You can get S5 shooting easily enough elsewhere after all.

Edited by WarriorFish

I had considered the limitations of blast on the havoc, it wasn't an easy decision. But to make room for points and the ability to reach out and "touch" something on occasion was useful enough. Mind, the max movement of a defiler is 8" and can easily degrade. Depending on positioning, it may spend more turns out of combat, in which case if a few wounds can be taken from some far off light armored unit sitting on an objective is nice. I would swap to a twin heavy flamer if I dropped the lascannon and had a twin heavy bolter/reaper instead. 

Did you mean S5? 

Yes, the Havok is nice as an additional but in place of something else I'm not quite so in favour of it. It'd work with a heavier gun platform build though I reckon, let it gribble around shooting things up with a lascannon - anyone wanting to get close has some claws to worry about...

I will say, somewhat of a swing and a miss from GW for not letting the heavy flamers become heavy warpflamers. They let all other bolt weapons become inferno(minus heavy bolters).  Oh well. In either case, it's nice to have the weapon flexability. Will require more playtesting. Personally, I don't think I will ever need more than one. I am happy to let this thing be the sole user of smokescreen, and to have tough lil' swiss army knife of a unit roll up with the rest of the army. 

I've got a couple of predators that I usually use for AT (I know forge fiends are technically a little better for the points, but it's what I have and is good enough for my level of play!) and Deffy makes a good Distraction Carnifex for the enemies big guns.

Thousand sons don't really have as much trouble removing infantry from the board.

I run him cheap and ranged (reaper auto and Havoc Launcher) because I don't really expect him to reach melee. If he does his CC ability is just a bonus.

Edited by Paladin777