New Custodes/Sisters of Silence dex in route.

Thus far I take the changes as more lateral moves, if not creative attempts to change army list construction. 

I suppose it's cause for some concern in an ever-evolving, power creeping meta game. Over the codex cycle armies go from 3-4 tricks, to 1-2, then to the shelf at some point. You hate to come out of the gate at limited options already. Then again, GW is doing updates more than ever.

GW seems bent on increasing the resources of the custodes player but, they are doing it without making waves. Detailed, narrow rules, I suspect will raise the ceiling of the army's capability without raising the floor. This might be better than more blunt options like reducing the points of custodian guard to 30 pts... the internet self-immolates and everyone at the local tourney has a new custodes detachment. Still for the average player (euphemism here, and myself included), highly narrowed and particular rules often have little value on a casual table top. A pile-in or consolidation move of 40 ork boys isn't a subtle or precise maneuver. On the semi-pro youtubers tables, the changes might appear more tangible. I'd be interested on if they had an intuition on quantifying the benefits (like this saved 50 points or something over the course of the game). All this is of course, little consolation to the guy getting shot off the table T1, or suffering other lopsided calamities throughout the game.  

Shield captain and vexilus praetor auras to just CORE. I wonder if that majorly reduces the prevalence of forge world dreadnoughts going forward. We shall see what strats survive and the manner in which they survive. Strats & keyword changes could be a huge 1-2 punch to knock the dreads out. The end of 3 telemons? 

Points and secondaries are also extremely important omissions from the leaks so far. Something like vertus jetbikes seems very good but also pricey. I heard in the prior leak their missiles took a hit, but the whole codex isn't out yet. Points matter there, but I don't ever expect huge points changes. Especially in such an elite codex, minor points changes are hard to reshape and fill in a 2000 point list. 

I've been thinking about the Blade Champion being armour 3+... sure in melee he's going to be very difficult to kill, I'm particularly worried about the shooting threat. Custodes aren't replete with numbers so ensuring you have 3+ models nearby isn't always going to be easy or practical.

He's a glass cannon in many ways, since even a -1 will be very painful to him.

He might find the best unit to accompany him will be Sisters with Greatswords at this rate. Maybe Flamers if you're careful with your planning. Cheaper and thus easier to justify large numbers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To be fair, I never expected FW units to be included. Would it be better or at least reasonable for the Custodes? Sure. But it goes against the grain and maybe sets an unwanted precedent, dunno. 

I don't particularly like the cover (last edition was better), but I don't loathe it. But it definitely loses out against the great GSC cover released at the same time.

So if the pre-order is this weekend, when is the actual release? I usually don't bother with preorders because you get the item quicker if you just go to a store! (True story - I preordered my local GW a Codex and they send it out on the day of release so you have to wait a couple days to receive it)

I'm moderately excited. I know there will be some tasty combinations but nothing overtly powerful. But more importantly I'd be able to play a fresh and fluffy Codex with my mates.

Edited by Captain Idaho

I just spoke to my local store who refuses to put aside a copy for anyone and advises get to the store to buy his 2 copies of Codex Adeptus Custodes when he opens on the Saturday...

...to which I say "no thanks, I'll just go to a GW store and get it in my own time thanks."

With rules previews for GSC now making them look cohesive and with the necessary flat damage 3 weapons on str8+ platforms....the salt we generate might be on par with oceans.

Sister of silence are severally limited I how we can take them in a mixed detachment.

None of our strats appear to impact auric weapons (so maybe it will just be its own set ability? Dunno still has me head scratching).

Custodes counting as two for both objective secured and for body guard duty is ok but losing objective secured on everything not infantry is ouch.

It is quite curious as to why Genestealer Cults get literally the best power weapon in the game at S+3 and Damage 3 without a penalty to hit, yet Custodes get Axes that are inferior and probably a choice no one will take going forward.

I'm thinking, that since that weapon is only available for Abberants, so it's designed for them in mind. Looks like they are just rolling all the weapons they had into one profile, not much different than what they had available currently. Maybe with the Axe, they have it spread to a more of a variety of units, so have to keep that in mind for design. I don't know. 

Doesn't change the fact Axes<Spears unfortunately.

Probably is their thinking though. I feel Custodes were just a quick splash inbetween more "important" projects in the studio. Get it out the door quickly, doesn't need much so invest minimal time on it.

Doesn't change the fact Axes<Spears unfortunately.

Probably is their thinking though. I feel Custodes were just a quick splash inbetween more "important" projects in the studio. Get it out the door quickly, doesn't need much so invest minimal time on it.

That has been the exact thought I've been having.

Only a few hours till some studios will preview the rules and give inputs.

Tabletop tactics will hopefully have a good take on what the codex can do.

I forget if winters has quit being a gw partner, his well warranted hate for rules drip, where they released the death guard codex then immediately a supplement that had even more rules was legendary.

I am almost concerned custodes are going to be in a near coming campaign and they held back a ton to add rules into another supplement to force more purchases.

.uhoh.

I sincerely doubt it works that way. The more likely thing is that the Codex was done well before it went to print and before any supplements would have been started. It's always worth remembering, that the timing of a Codex release doesn't have to have anything to do with when it was actually finished.

I sincerely doubt it works that way. The more likely thing is that the Codex was done well before it went to print and before any supplements would have been started. It's always worth remembering, that the timing of a Codex release doesn't have to have anything to do with when it was actually finished.

It might literally work that way. Specifically it just happened to death guard.

This isn't like a maybe it could happen. It did happen.

In most cases, armies with 9th dexes get an AoR and/or a supplement. Armies without 9th dexes might get other army wide rules, but usually that's it.

I think you're right about Deathguard though- I think they did get some content that wasn't an AoR or a supplement. But I think they might be the only faction this has happened to.

Could be wrong. Don't have the energy to deep dive and prove it- plus I don't have either of the Octarius books yet.

Edited by ThePenitentOne

In most cases, armies with 9th dexes get an AoR and/or a supplement. Armies without 9th dexes might get other army wide rules, but usually that's it.

I think you're right about Deathguard though- I think they did get some content that wasn't an AoR or a supplement. But I think they might be the only faction this has happened to.

Could be wrong. Don't have the energy to deep dive and prove it- plus I don't have either of the Octarius books yet.

I'm 90% confident that's what happened for dg. I remember winter's having a full melt down at gw for it. Saying it's a bad way to run a company and rule books should contain rules. And campaign books should have campaigns. Mixing the two is messy.

Plus what are nids at now? A codex, two supplements, the forgeworld book and a white dwarf to field one army? Holy. moly that's brutal.

Day 1 DLC is a :cussty practice but the contents itself isnt written for that, its almost entirely stuff cut from the main Codex for space or pet projects the lead wouldnt squeeze in. More the :cussty corp than the writers themselves, who i suspect are just glad to get more stuff out.

The GSC weapons thing is a head scratcher though, if you want a unit to be big and strong put it in the units statline, not the units weapons. It really does look silly when the peak weapon performance in 40k melee weapons is coming out of something you would buy in a diy shop.

So here we are.

A faction with a blend of new and old identity.

Bit too blended with marines in my vocal and humble opinion but there are usable tools here to play with even if we get walked by factions leaning heavily on damage reduction and we are actually very bad "centerpiece" killers is my take from the Dex.

Our characters are strong. No question.

Valoris and Valerian are both beat sticks.

The Pretoria plate is a shockingly scary relic.

Our bike captains are obnoxiously strong for now (Tau going to put that in check but for now the bike captain is amazing).

Honestly nestling hqs into units that can help deliver them to cc is going to be my main focus for my first builds.

Your thoughts all?

Emperors chosen look like a no brainer shield host to start with. (Our biggest weakness is mw… not anymore!)

I am tempted to pick up a few more allarus (assuming rumors of drops to 60 points are true)

Coronus going to 220? Could it finally be almost usable? Could I fill it with wardens and fly straight at the enemy!!?