Eilio Tiberius's Blood Angel Army Blog

Helias_Tancred

That Champion looks like he means business, Death or Glory!

I love that crisp black on the Intercessor sarge, it manages to look like painted black, but not like a painted model, if that makes sense. It looks like that pauldron is in fact a piece of armour, and against the red of a Blood Angel, it looks all the more impressive.

That Champion looks like he means business, Death or Glory!

I love that crisp black on the Intercessor sarge, it manages to look like painted black, but not like a painted model, if that makes sense. It looks like that pauldron is in fact a piece of armour, and against the red of a Blood Angel, it looks all the more impressive.

Thanks!

I use Vallejo Model Color Black (70.950). I'm quite a fan.

Freehanding a banner for a non-artist type such as myself is very challenging.  I got the overall concept from looking at the banners on page 25 of our codex supplement. I noticed how several had large rectangular blocks set inside the banner and on that block they had stuff. I knew I wanted to use some decals on it, so after I painted a long rectangular gold block, I figured putting checks on about half of it at the bottom going up would be where to place the decals. My best advice for people trying to freehand their banners is know your skill level and work to that, I kept mine simple because I knew it would be easier to pull off. It also kinda evolves as you paint it. You figure things out along the way. I was going to do a simple conical helm with nose piece silhouette to represent the company name "Ironhelms", it was going to go where the larger skull decal went. But didn't do it in the end. 

Looks great either way! I always try to break things up into simple geometric shapes - the GW skull for example is, in essence, a circle on top of a triangle, with a couple more blobs.

I'm gonna have to remember that when I start doing the squad designations for squads 1, 2, 11, and 12!

Freehanding a banner for a non-artist type such as myself is very challenging.  I got the overall concept from looking at the banners on page 25 of our codex supplement. I noticed how several had large rectangular blocks set inside the banner and on that block they had stuff. I knew I wanted to use some decals on it, so after I painted a long rectangular gold block, I figured putting checks on about half of it at the bottom going up would be where to place the decals. My best advice for people trying to freehand their banners is know your skill level and work to that, I kept mine simple because I knew it would be easier to pull off. It also kinda evolves as you paint it. You figure things out along the way. I was going to do a simple conical helm with nose piece silhouette to represent the company name "Ironhelms", it was going to go where the larger skull decal went. But didn't do it in the end. 

I can really appreciate this kind of systematic approach to problems :thumbsup:  So much better than my usual overthinking and as a result - not doing too much due to too ambitious plans :D

That banner really clicks it! Simple idea, but developed into something striking and effective. Good job!

If you're really limited in your freehand ability all you need is one or two large blood drops centered in the banner and some gold trim around them. You could put some honor symbols in the corner like the water decal chalices, skulls, etc.

Blood Drops = start with upside down crosses. 

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

After a lengthy break from painting, I'm back at it with 10th edition around the corner! Over the past several days I painted a primaris death company lieutenant,  the new primaris Dante, and a primaris death company brother. It feels good getting back to it.

0-1.jpeg

0-2.jpeg

0.jpeg

Edited by Eilio Tiberius