CBC Doc Project - War Games

Dudley Nightshade

It turns out that one of the Doc Project writers is a life-long Blood Angels player. Neat!

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-115-the-doc-project/clip/15876827-war-games

As a kid, Jonathan Ore was a Warhammer 40k fanatic. He spent hours painting the thumb-sized miniatures used in the tabletop game, and met up with his friends to play in his uncle's comic book shop. As an adult, Jonathan abandoned the hobby. But when the pandemic hit, he started painting again, and re-engaging with the Warhammer community, this time online… only to discover that divisive debates had found their way to the fandom. Suddenly, Jonathan was faced with questions: How did this happen, and did he really want back in after all? Jonathan unpacks the surprising history of this incredibly popular but underreported game, and speaks to people about engaging in a fandom that’s increasingly torn apart, all while trying to find his own place within it.

Thanks for this- as a Canuck, CBC is my Jam, but I generally don't pay a whole lot of attention to the podcast circuit and I would have missed this if you hadn't posted it. Probably give it a listen on the bus on my way home... I watched the Blood Angels episode and the tag end of the CWE vs DE batrep on my way in, so there's room in my transit entertainment schedule lol.

Thanks for this- as a Canuck, CBC is my Jam, but I generally don't pay a whole lot of attention to the podcast circuit and I would have missed this if you hadn't posted it. Probably give it a listen on the bus on my way home... I watched the Blood Angels episode and the tag end of the CWE vs DE batrep on my way in, so there's room in my transit entertainment schedule lol.

I haven't finished it, myself yet. Slowly but surely. The first 15-20 minutes are interesting so far. 

it just happened that we heard a clip from it on CBC radio, otherwise I wouldn't have found it either!

Just finished- took me two bus rides.

From the mid-point on, once the political piece of the doc started, I found myself wanting to contest and grapple with isolated statements where I thought there should have been a stronger counterpoint. Overall, however, I think it stands up. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks again for sharing the link.