Having trouble understanding damage.

KnightofSigismund

I feel so bad for having to ask you guys this but can somebody ELI5 how to properly do the damage allocation step. I used to play in tournaments in 5th edition and am trying to get back into the game with 9th and am having a hard time understanding this step of the game.

If I have 8 attacks that do 2 damage each (or any number of damage really) I’d I hit and wound say 8 models with 1 wound each do I only kill 8 of them if there were 10 in the unit if they failed the saves?

I guess basically do you only ever inflict casualties equal to the amount of the attack value of your respective ranged or melee value, regardless of how “damaging” it is.

Thank you in advance I’m sorry this is such a silly question.

You're exactly right, you lose at most one model for each failed saving throw. There's a couple of rules that specificaly violate this but aren't worth worriying about.

1 wound models basically ignore the damage stat of a weapon unless they have the 'ignore wounds suffered' abiilities (the stuff that's like the old 'feel no pain' rule but has no handy official name) that complicate things .

If you have a damage 2 weapon and are attacking a unit of 3 wound models, it will take 2 failed saves to kill a model and a model will be left behind on 1 wound if you have an odd number of failed saves. So damage 2 weapons are pretty much equally effective against 3 wound models like gravis/terminators as they are against 4 wound like attack bikes ones while damage 3 weapons are far better against terminators but close to damage 2 weapons in effectiveness against attack bikes.

If you have a single model unit with 10+ wounds you just take the number of failed saves and multiply the damage.

Age of Sigmar works the other way round with all damage just carrying over but is a different game and off topic for the forum.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

The person who is making the saves allocates the wounds to a model and rolls the kind of saves they have but this only matters if the unit includes different saves on different models. Otherwise all the saves get rolled and you just choose casualties since the saves are all being rolled in any order the controlling player wants.