Wolftime

Petitioner's City

You guys and gals might appreciate Wolftime or already have begun reading it. I've set up a review thread in the BL section - so far I'm very much enjoying it, it's a stronger book than many of Gav's novels and also plays with expectations (indeed that could be a theme in the book). Also builds on a lot of Vlka lore and past works.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/372232-the-wolftime-review-thread/?do=findComment&comment=5763673

Does it stand alone or does one need to read the others from this series

It can stand alone, although it has continuous plot threads and characters from Dawn of Fire and Gate of Bones. But beyond introducing that there were Unnumbered Sons of Russ in Dawn of Fire, and Gate of Bones focusing on the tomb of Cardinal Bucharis, both of which are followed up on in The Wolftime, there isn't anything specifically about the Space Wolves in either preceding novel. 

The Wolftime is the third year of the Indomitus Crusade, and many years since Cadia and Magnus and the like - the chapter is stretched really thin, with local allies themselves stretched thin, which presages Logan's eschatological hope for the Wolftime itself. 

The main points of view from the wolves are a pack leader in Krom's company, a primaris and Arjac. 

The language of Juvik and Wurgen (Aett, Vlka, etc.) is the language of the chapter in the book, and there are some humorous moments that arise from this (the primaris are upplanders in many ways).

But I'd really suggest reading at least Dawn of Fire, it was a great reset novel, and did a far better job at introducing Primaris than any past novel or sourcebook - while it benefited from coming after many years of reflection on primaris and what made them tick, it would have assuaged so many issues in the past.* I feel that Wolftime is doing a good job at explaining the integration of primaris in their own way for the wolves.

* It makes a good audio book too. If you read any other novels (such as Wraight's), Dawn of Fire was set between The Emperor's Legion (which leads up to G's arrival on Terra) and The Regent's Shadow (set after the primaris are introduced).

My thoughts, liked it, it's laying ground work for major conflicts

Grimnars actions in the book were appropriate, him.not wanting/worrying about the primaris integration is legitimate as he was looking at the long term implications of a mass injection of "uplanders" into wolves. And how it would change the wolves.

His decision to accept them wasn't due to Gaius. He had already come to that conclusion at the dinner feast with Robby.

He accepts them, but offers no oath to Robby g.

_-------

Sub plots

Bucharis: wolves have a immense library/intelligence area that the historitors and a custode we're allowed access to, to review. They ask Njal about when bucharis and the church Njal attacked fenris. informed them of a inquisitorial repository wolves send back up data to, that wasn't on anyone's records. Njal presumes the documents are on a desk I'm a administratum hive for hundreds of years.

Custode and historians dispatch to go the hearth* (will correct spelling). E route they find the rigorous, the first torch bearer ship dispatched to the wolves with primaris tech, but never arrived. Orks ripped it out of the warp with Ork tech and attack it, took it over. Here we learn Orks have a traitor commissar working with them. They also have a attack moon that is active.

They then report this back to rob g, and continue onwards to hearth.(they do not reach hearth in this book)

They discover bucharis has/had a black stone ring.

---

Space hulk

Wolves have been fighting a massive Ork psyker warlord on a space hulk. They recall in the book to go to fenris due to rob g arriving, but need more man power to deal with it.

After acceptance of the primaris, they deploy to the space hulk with thousands of primaris and take the space hulk.

They then setup a outpost on the hulk, and use it as a mobile proving ground for primaris wolves. (They purposefully don't fully remove the Orks, just most of them, the. Use the remaining Orks to train/prove the primaris.)

Wolves can pretty much control where the hulk goes. So wolves now have a massive semi mobile fortress/outpost.

---

Rob g is very worried about ghaz, knows Orks have been on terra, but it's redacted. He figures this out through gaps in records and historical records around the instance.

Knows ghaz is either at the beast level, or quickly approaching it. Is also worried about the Ork attack moons that are apparently active again.

---

Njal sees multiple visions in the book, and a human fenrisian psyker has a vision and makes her way to njal to share.

It's very vague, but hints at a wolf, a golden warrior, and it is the first time njal loses hope and goes on a vision quest.

-----

I know people say ashes of prospero is now cannon again, but I think it is a isn't.

I wouldn't take any events in ashes as cannon.

-----

My thoughts on njal vision?

Vibe I get is that dawn of fire will tie into pandemonium. Wolf and golden warrior, Russ and valdor.

---------

Robby went to wolves partly because he doesn't want to "replace" in name only a first founding. It's important that first founding s still have a direct line to their primarchs and heritage.

Which I think means Robby g doesn't know the imperial fists were all wiped out during the war of the beast.

---

It's lining many things up ATM.

-ghaz becoming a major player on par with Abaddon in terms of danger.

-g man's slow March to the Naucund gauntlet.

-bucharis and his history/danger (I think this will be what ties in the revenor trilogy and pandemonium)

-robby g needs wolves, he needs them to deal with the orks and slow them down so he can focus on Abaddon