Flaspoint Liber - Necron Dynasty(ies)

Doctor Perils

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi,
So, considering the schedule for the first phase of the project Kelborn has put up, thought it might be a good idea to compartmentalize discussion around the different factions and the planet.

This thread is for discussing the Necron Dynasty/Dynasties participating in the project.

So, I'll admit to not necessarily being up to date with the latest Necron developments, my knowledge base for them dating back to 5th edition, so if other members have more stuff to add in terms of questions or clarifications, please do so :D

The first question regards whether we should pick up an existing Canonverse dynasty to take part - I've seen a few that could perhaps fit the bill, though can't remember the names off the top of my head; or if we should create a new group DIY - unless I'm mistaken I don't think there are any existing group DIYs out there?

As opposed to the Space Marines chapter choices, I think creating a Dynasty wholecloth is more feasible within the scope of this project. Necron dynasties generally have less lore and less complexity in their writing, and there's definitely a good amount of development room.

The second question regards how many sub-factions should we focus on for them: should there be a single all-encompassing Dynasty taking part? Perhaps a rival dynasty is trying to take over the tomb world? Perhaps there's a complex web of interlocking political factions all vying for control of the dynasty? Has a Destroyer cult taken root in the tomb world and is now trying to infect the denizens that are yet to awaken?

As much as I like the Skeletor Necrons (which is a lot, they're so well done), I'd rather us have an antagonist that isn't lifted wholesale from another franchise or largely just here for the memes.

I'm sure we can, between all of us, put together a Necron Dynasty that is at least as cool as the above suggestion.

Let's not have our setting populated with literal 80's saturday morning cartoon villains. :sweat:

Not a dynasty sggestion but I suggest that the hive house Abyss side with the Necrons a bit in the storyline: 

House Abyss

The youngest house in the hives, recently given a Letter-of-House by the Planetary Governor, their name comes from that their homebase lay somewhere below the underhive, maybe even under the sump. Their claim to fame and power is that somewhere in the deep they have found, or so they say at least, an working archeotech device from which they are able to create technology so highly advanced and capable that it is unbelievable by most of their hive peers. The house is shrouded in an sinister air, with many claiming that the technology they use suck their souls away, or that what they found in the deep was not some kind of archeotech device but something of darker, xeno-origins…

Names: Egyptian and Aztec, mix and match

Models: Van Saar, use heads from Freeguild models with big hats if possible. Use Necron colours for their equipment and jumpsuits, their hats should be colourful (think La Calavera Catrina’s hats, big feathers are a plus). If you hate yourself paint their faces as if they had Calavera face paint, Calavera style decoration on their bodies are also possible. Eyes that are just glowing green or electronic blue are a suggestion. Raid the Necron, Seraphon, and Tomb Kings boxes for bits, but they should be in the same Necron colour as the rest of theit gear.

Edited by Gamiel

I'm fine with that, but I also think there should come a point where whoever's leading House Abyss should realise the Necron aren't what they thought, and will damn the planet to lifeless oblivion, not lead it to a glorious future.

Of course, this point should come long after there is any hope of redemption with the other houses or larger Imperium, so they really have no choice but to press on in service to the machines they don't understand, clinging to the faint hope of survival. 

I'm fine with that, but I also think there should come a point where whoever's leading House Abyss should realise the Necron aren't what they thought, and will damn the planet to lifeless oblivion, not lead it to a glorious future.

Not what I was thinking, I was more thinking that their tech actually are of necron origin and in time they are overtaken by it. But we can have that not all of them are enslaved by their xeno-tech.

Not what I was thinking, I was more thinking that their tech actually are of necron origin and in time they are overtaken by it. But we can have that not all of them are enslaved by their xeno-tech.
Those ideas can coexist. Either way, the tragedy and irony is that through the progress they think they are making, they are actually sealing their doom. If any of them realise it, the tragedy becomes richer - the classic trope of realising too late that they have been tricked or fooled into a Faustian pact…

OK, so potential idea for the Necron Dynasty here, bear with me,

How about a Dynasty created to safeguard a particularly nasty shard of a hitherto unencountered (by the Imperium) C'Tan, which has slowly exterted more and more subtle influence over the Dynasty, corrupting their purpose bit by tiny bit, until the Dynasty goes from sentries to unwitting servants?

Said C'Tan doesn't strictly have to have any Cthulhu influences, but I suppose we shouldn't rule them out either :tongue.:

One thing I'm noticing from the poll is that the choice for canon dynasty is _right_ behind DIY dynasty - I'd be interested to hear those people's reasons for voting that way, and which dynasty they may be thinking of? :)

The idea that a logograms the Necron activity / structures are intended to keep something like C‘Tan shard IN / quiet is quite neat regardless of any ties to any  Lovecraft entity.

It is a perfect excuse for keeping the scale of the engagement small, low  and quiet …  no one wants to the upstart younger races to get any ideas or heavens forbid, wake it up. It might be why they meddle with the humans or at least tolerate the pesky Imperials in the first place rather than outright wipe them offene face of the planet upon awakening…

You could built a whole campaign on which Necron sub factions know about the prisoner, who wants to use it, want it contained or free it without even involving the world above. Then it gets really complicated…

There is also an excellent entry point for other forces especially from the Aeldari and Chaos factions to to get  involved later on 

with old legends from the War in the Heavens or a Daemon Prince looking to settle an old score 

The idea that a logograms the Necron activity / structures are intended to keep something like C‘Tan shard IN / quiet is quite neat regardless of any ties to any  Lovecraft entity.

It is a perfect excuse for keeping the scale of the engagement small, low  and quiet …  no one wants to the upstart younger races to get any ideas or heavens forbid, wake it up. It might be why they meddle with the humans or at least tolerate the pesky Imperials in the first place rather than outright wipe them offene face of the planet upon awakening…

How about this has already almost happened? A cult that once spread in one of the hives, centered about a dormant 'angel' or 'saint' in the deeps that could be awoken with sufficiant ritual and worship. The Necron guardians realized a full scale war or wiping out all those pesky humans might awaken the thing, and decided to only target that single hive, which mysteriously sank into the sea in a single night. Merchants trying to reach the hive only found a patch of ocean with some eerie lights coming from beneath the waves. This all has happened a few millennia ago and the Necrons might have found some agents to cover up the whole story, so the whole disappearing hive might only be remembered by the world's human inhabitants as some Atlantis-like faerie tale.

The idea that a logograms the Necron activity / structures are intended to keep something like C‘Tan shard IN / quiet is quite neat regardless of any ties to any Lovecraft entity.

Cthulhu as a C'tan, R'lyeh as the Necron labyrinth in which he is contained, and Cthulhu's human worshipers using Warpcraft to "raise" R'lyeh- i.e., use psychic powers to bypass the labyrinth's Necron-built defenses, and free their "master"? Yes, I can buy that.