Sagittarum Guard

Which of my fellow gamers of the TRUE Emperor's Finest have used the Saggitarum Guard in their games in 9th?

It seems to me they are ideal for fire support from home objectives whilst your units march up the table, since we are often so few in number that having a unit doing nothing on an objective is just going to be detrimental to our effectiveness on the table.

The weapons aren't bad either. 3 shots at D2 and 1 shot at D3 per model, a couple units of 3 can help put damage out down table nicely enough.

Personally I feel the unit absolutely has to have Misericordia as a back up, just in case they do get into melee. I generally save the points on the other Custodes if I can (plus I find they don't sit well on the model for my liking) but this unit doesn't have a melee weapon otherwise. They actually become fairly dangerous up close with a Misericordia actually, with 4 S5 attacks at AP-2.

Regarding their weapons, the guys hit on a 2+ so should always fire both profiles at once, since hitting on a 3+ is compensated for by the extra shot each. Heavy infantry will get rinsed by these guys and you can even put a few wounds on vehicles.

Only real downside to them is heavy armour in the form of T8 stuff or massed vehicles, but more acutely it's large numbers of infantry. 4 shots per model is good, but you aren't getting loads about the table. I feel like these things can be compensated for somewhat by melee from other units and some of the Forge World units in the form of Grav-tanks and Dreadnoughts.

What do other people have to say about these units?

Be interesting to see if there's anything in the new Codex they can use offensively that's for sure.

So did you not find you needed the melee potential of the Misericordias?

Being assault is interesting. If you're firing both weapons the penalty to hit for advancing and firing them matters not a jot anyway. Makes them a little more maneuverable.

I usually play on Dread Host, and all gardians with Spears or blade/Shield need have Misericordia because they are on m'y Assault Line.

If i have some point yes, Sagittarum have Misericordia...but i Never have this points

Edited by Galthan Ironsturm

• 2 weeks later...

I have only ever fought against this unit, and each time it was tricky to deal with. The Misericordia are surprisingly potent melee weapons on a unit with such a good profile, and made short work of most of my melee options if I didn't get the charge. So if you field them and find a powerful CQC beast is nearby, and for whatever reason you can't kill it with raw dakka, finish it with a charge rather than wait to see if overwatch will carry the day.

And second, in the first game your opponent is liable to ignore them at first, after the first decent round of shooting, they absolutely will not ignore it, even Death Guard have to respect that many decent strength, high ap shots, and every one else struggles to survive a brutal abundance of damage 2 and 3 shooting. Speaking of the Plague God's beloved disciples, remember to use the Disintegration weapons first against their power armoured infantry, as they will still one shot them, I saw that mistake cost a guy a big win at our local store.

Anyway, good luck in your games my friend!

Edited by BloodyB

That's some good perspective, many thanks.

What sort of unit sizes are people encountering/using the most?

Usually 2 squads of 5, able as they are to hold objectives while being pretty mobile thanks to assault weapons all round, plus only ever taking -1 to hit even when firing both guns is powerful in many situations. They are a surprisingly good way to establish a threat zone in a wide area with just a little melee support, which Custodes are obviously good at.

I struggle to find a meaningful way of getting to grips with them while a unit of Guardian spear Custodes are covering them and backing them up. The fact that both units are hard hitting against marines at all ranges is actually a serious consideration I am forced to make a lot, and the only wins I have are from having more mobile units able to just stay away from them, rather than successfully killing them. But keep them away from dreadnoughts, there aren't many units you want to be stuck in combat wig a dreadnought, but the Dreadnought CCW and it's high toughness makes them pretty much the bane of this unit, though you could probably still gun one down in a couple of turns.

• 3 weeks later...