Dreadnoughts in the lore

Valkyrion

Dreadnoughts are a big favourite of mine. In 40k and in 30k. I remember the original rogue trader dreads, but I was a bit young to ever own one when they were hot (if they ever were), but the normal dread that we knew and loved in the back of Codex Ultramarines (Assault Cannon), Codex Angels of Death (Multi Melta and Power Fist, Twin Lascannon and Missile Launcher) and Codex Space Wolves (BJORN!!!!) - I just loved those models.

Obviously, 30k is longer ago than 40k, so I'm asking here for things I may have missed. 

I think the first named Contemptor was Emperor's Children Rylanor, but happy to be corrected. 

I can't recall reading about any Leviathan or Deredeo's. Are there any?

Interestingly enough, after looking, it seems like the overwhelming majority of Heresy dreads are either Contemptors or Castraferrums. At least according to Lexicanum, the only non-Carab Culln named Leviathans were featured in a couple Black Books, and the only named Deredeos are a couple Ultramarines from the Defense of Sotha Exemplary Battles PDF.

I suppose every legion does have a special Contemptor model (and the old MK. IV ones), but not every legion has a Leviathan (and none have legion-specific Deredeos).

From the top of my head:

There's a Deredeo dread from a destroyer company (shooting chem/phospex!) in one of the Ultramarine stories.

In Sigismund's origin short story, he fights Appius "Father of Dreadnoughs", the first Imperial Fists dread (MkV castraferrum carrying a shield and hammer going by the description).

I remember a couple of dread from the books....but forget names....

*the dread on Istavan III, (EC, I think)

*the WE dread still painted in Warhounds colors

*EC dread that was chanting Slaneshi stuff aboard a ship.

All of my books are still packed from the move, so I can't look anything up

UM Contemptor Telemechrus is described in Know no fear.

Honoured Telemachus, yes, another good example. 

No Leviathan dreadnought talked about in a novel? I vaguely remember BL novels being infiltrated by Storm Eagles and Xiphons and Caestus and even maybe a vindicator laser destroyer? But no Leviathans in the novels? 

I don't remember what models the dreads were that defended the Conqueror in Delavrius' absence. Lhorke and his boys. There were quite a few of them, there must have been some different models...right?

A leviathan is named as Ancient Domniain in Lion El'Jonson - Lord of the First. Though he only appears briefly.

There's mention of there being 20 leviathans deployed in that particular battle (something that it emphasises almost no other legion could really pull off, due to their rarity), but he's the only one named. Otherwise, leviathans do seem to be mentioned less than the others. Which is understandable, knowing their rarity.

Edited by Darkwrath121

Leaviathans have probably some limiting factors as characters: first, it was released well into the HH book series, and unlike the deredeo, I don't think it had a clear predecessor in the classic space marine line. Second, as Darkwrath121 mentioned, leviathans are rare and were, if I recall correctly, developed by the Emperor in a semi-clandestine way; in addition to that, the sarcophagus seems to over-stress the pilots, burning them out/driving them insane much faster than the other models, which doesn't mesh very well with creating a long-standing character.

With that said, it would be nice to have a novel featuring a leaviathan occupant slowly going insane through the story, or having a pre-established character interred into a leviathan and see how his demeanor is affected by the sarcophagus' effects.

Edited by Elzender

• 2 weeks later...