Crusade of Shame - Grimaldus

SkimaskMohawk

The vindicare is all finished up, purely by dint that there's 6 paints and some pigments.

PXL_20230729_2040022652.thumb.jpg.4178af921a52cc58f9d5183a0bb9756f.jpg

But I still got a bunch of other stuff nearing completion, with even more at tabletop ready levels (which I'll post as they get closer):

PXL_20230729_2100110422.thumb.jpg.2298b8d558cc75673ead2345bb5894cb.jpg

PXL_20230729_2100333742.thumb.jpg.31960ddc5e5e9ef66214e7ea01c3e122.jpg

PXL_20230729_2101426262.thumb.jpg.2f2aff445e0977edc8d18c8ed1d2ff02.jpg

1 hour ago, 9x19 Parabellum said:

That chaplain slaps. I really like his crozius handle. I don't know why but I feel compelled to paint every "staff/handle/hilt" type thing in red.

Thanks!

The GW art style likes a red leather style in their marine handles so a lot of people have that in mind. I kinda suck at doing the red leather, and it clashes with my schemes a lot so I go with the brown. 

Got a 1500 point game in against one of my long time buddies; he's still learning "modern" 40k after sitting out all 8th and 9th, hence the lower points, as well as playing Only War for the mission. I kinda love that mission btw; player placed objectives gives variety and the score can't snowball due to low integers and a cap. 

Anyways, him being really out of the competitive field means I got to experiment a bit more with stuff, and I took a couple units of assault intercessors and The Emperor's Champion (I wanted to to put him in sword bros, but I forgot them at home lol).

Some generally cool moments from the game were assault ints giving the reroll to the champion and him wiping 10 hormagaunts with his sweep; TEC getting charged by the swarm lord, passing/parrying 3/5 4+ saves and then killing him; TEC (with a single wound left) charging a mawloc and completely failing to kill it, and then passing a bunch of scything talon saves off the FNP to stick around (the maw attack failed to wound even with a CP reroll). Really, all the cool moments were on him. 

Next is getting a whole bunch of models to tabletop ready for Saturday morning:

PXL_20230803_1153311692.thumb.jpg.69ce425babd322b84a29e70b281d3f64.jpg

That's three repulsors, three inceptors, 5 sword bros, 4 neophytes, 5 infiltrators, and grimaldus. Also I gotta base a ton of stuff with martian iron earth/crust. Should be possible, right?

Unfortunately, my painting task was not possible, at least not the way I managed it.

I got the black done to where it can be highlighted, got the bone/white to the same point on everything but the tanks, got the base coats of dark red and gold down, and got some key areas of silver and rakarth flesh. And at least everything got based, so it ended up looking pretty standard tabletop, which was fine.

I took it all to a 12 person, 3 round mini-tournament at a local flgs on Saturday.

Here's the complete list:

Spoiler

++ Army Roster (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Black Templars) [1,985pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size: 2. Strike Force (2000 Point limit)

Detachment: Gladius Task Force

+ Epic Hero +

Chaplain Grimaldus [120pts]

High Marshal Helbrecht [105pts]

+ Character +

Librarian in Phobos Armour [75pts]: Warlord

+ Battleline +

Primaris Crusader Squad [320pts]

. 7x Primaris Initiate w/Chainsword & Heavy Bolt Pistol: 7x Astartes Chainsword, 7x Heavy Bolt Pistol
. 4x Primaris Initiate w/Power Fist & Heavy Bolt Pistol: 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 4x Power Fist
. 8x Primaris Neophyte w/Astartes Chainsword: 8x Astartes Chainsword, 8x Bolt Pistol
. Primaris Sword Brother: Heavy Bolt Pistol

+ Infantry +

Eliminator Squad [95pts]

. 2x Eliminator: 2x Bolt Pistol, 2x Close Combat Weapon, 2x Las Fusil
. Eliminator Sergeant: Las Fusil

Eliminator Squad [95pts]

. 2x Eliminator: 2x Bolt Pistol, 2x Close Combat Weapon, 2x Las Fusil
. Eliminator Sergeant: Las Fusil

Eradicator Squad [95pts]

. Eradicator
. Eradicator Sergeant
. Eradicator with Multi-melta

Inceptor Squad [115pts]: Assault Bolters

. 2x Inceptor: 2x Close Combat Weapon
. Inceptor Sergeant

Infiltrator Squad [90pts]

. Infiltrator Sergeant
. 4x Infiltrators: 4x Bolt Pistol, 4x Close Combat Weapon, 4x Marksman Bolt Carbine

Primaris Sword Brethren [165pts]

. Primaris Sword Brother: Astartes Chainsword, Pyre Pistol
. Primaris Sword Brother: Astartes Chainsword, Pyre Pistol
. Primaris Sword Brother: Heavy Bolt Pistol, Thunder Hammer
. Primaris Sword Brother w/Twin Lightning Claws
. Sword Brother Castellan: Astartes Chainsword, Heavy Bolt Pistol

+ Vehicle +

Black Templars Repulsor [220pts]: Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Multi-melta, Twin Lascannon

Black Templars Repulsor Executioner [245pts]: Heavy Laser Destroyer, Icarus Rocket Pod, Multi-melta

Black Templars Repulsor Executioner [245pts]: Heavy Laser Destroyer, Icarus Rocket Pod, Multi-melta

++ Total: [1,985pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

This mini tournament was basically a pretext for a couple the guys (including the store owner) to train for the WTC team event this weekend, as they're all on team Canada. So there was some pretty hardcore lists and some very competent players piloting them, including a wraithknights+yncarne eldar list, battlefield spam gsc, secondary denial Tyranids, 14 chaos armigers, and Custodes bricks. Thankfully, I dodged all of that. Kinda. 

And that's because i went 1-2 with a L-W-L pathway.

Game 1 was against csm on hammer and anvil with take and hold and supply drop.

Screenshot_20230807-1200102.png.e888edd644eb54c81540d5d0e1775001.png

He had a big chosen bomb with chaos lord, big possessed bomb with master of possession, 2 nurgle venom crawlers, a helbrute, a Vindicator, 2 tzeentch oblits, 2 wardog brigands, some raptors, and some cultists.

I was suffering from low coffee and put my crusader brick kinda in the open, and then went second; the venom crawlers and havoc launchers killed 13 models, but otherwise nothing bad happened. My turn 1 I moved up to kill a wardog and the Vindicator, but was still sloppy and didn't make sure a bunch of stuff was within 12" of the vindi and got nurgle strat'd, leaving it with 6 wounds. I also went for pure greed on the venom crawlers and tried to split fire kill both and failed. His turn two saw him kill an executioner with the Vindicator (I failed 3/4 4+ saves), the normal repulsor with oblits (I failed 3/4 4+ saves and we forgot about the -1 to hit from indirect), charged the crusaders with the possessed, and charged my last tank with venomcrawlers. I didn't do much on my turn 2; charged his chosen with the remaining 3 sword bros and helbrecht and killed them to the chaos lord (who killed them all in return lol). Turn 3 was mop up and the game was called.

Well that sucked. But, it was definitely due to making mistakes on deployment, movement, and target priority (and some luck on the armour save front); not hopelessly outmatched in terms of list. I did feel the pain of not having army wide FNP, as both tanks basically died to the exact amount of wounds needed (and the crusaders wouldn't have taken such a beating). Also, my opponent went on to win the entire thing, so the list not being a liability is a huge plus in my eyes.

Game 2 was against necrons on crucible of battle, with supply drop (again) and....servo skulls.

Screenshot_20230807-1201412.png.243e82c095c21f0cbdbe1765abddd631.png

No one really liked this, and it was only in the pack to give the team Canada coach practice because it's in the WTC pack. My opponent had a monolith, doomsday ark, unit of 3 heavy destroyers, unit of 2 normal destroyers, 3 tomb blades, 3 ophidians, a hexmark, a reanimator, two blobs of lychguard, and 4 characters to go into them (lord/technomancer/cryptothralls in the shield unit, overlord/orikan/cryptothralls in the warscythe unit).

I went first, and basically kicked the servo skulls in his direction off the bat with my eliminators, giving me a lot of pressure. I moved up to threaten the midfield with sword bros repulsor in los, but my crusader brick lurking out of los behind the middle terrain piece on my side, and got the monolith down to 1 wound. He killed my sword bro repulsor and moved his shield brick between the two central terrain pieces, trusting in the necron durability. That didn't have nothing on templar output during oath though, and both the crusaders and sword bros charged in and absolutely crushed them in one huge melee; on the top end of the map i hustled my eradicators out of their repulsor and advanced them into range of the monolith with dev doctrine to kill it. The game kinda progressed with him being unable to score primary and drawing some dud secondaries, but cleaning up my eliminators and eradicators to eventually stall my scoring as well, as my tanks couldn't get through the gaps in the terrain to get on the objectives. Instead, they helped focus fire the second lychguard and soften them for the crusaders to be able to kill them in two rounds of combat. It ended with a kinda rushed last couple of turns so my opponent could increase his score, but still a win for me.

So both the eradicators dump and the issues with scoring shouldn't have really happened. Looking at the more detailed layouts I posted, I should have had room to move stuff between the crates and top ruins, increasing my score dramatically, and not needing dev doctrine. Still, Honour the chapter on the crusaders really put a number on all the lychguard and really helped counter their -1 to wound and I was super happy with their output. 

Game 3 was against thousand sons on sweeping engagement with scrambler fields.

Screenshot_20230807-1352582.png.a7b10e7451d1f0dafa0671a86ffdefa3.png

My opponent had Magnus, 2 vortex beasts, a brick of 10 scarabs lead by a sorc lord, 10 flamer rubrics lead by Ahriman, 5 flamer rubrics lead by a foot sorc, changeling, exalted sorc on disc, and 2 units of three enlightened (disc goats).

Ive never played against thousand sons in 10th, knew they had big combos and a lot of tricks, and definitely felt like I was going to lose. Especially as I was told that BT do very well into them...in Crusaders. 

I went first and failed to kill a vortex Beast with both executioners and made a new objective. He burned a bunch of cabal points, enhancements, once per game things and CP to reposition everything between the top left ruins and kill two repulsors and the sword bros. And then for some reason he took his foot off the pedal and the game limped on until the end of turn 3 where he finally cinched it at like 38-25. The primaris crusaders were able to tank a whole round of enemy shooting on turn 2 and picked up 9 Scarabs with 8 of the chainswords unable to attack, so I'm extra pleased with their performance.

The thing that really irked me with this game was that my opponents attitude really kinda plummeted. After his devastating first turn, I said "looks like I'm going to lose" with a laugh, since he picked up 1000 points of some of my best damage, with the rest being mostly on the other side of the board, and his full cabal point allotment to rinse and repeat. But he didn't use twist of fate on turn 2 on my crusader brick, and got stuck grinding them down for another few turns, depressing his score until the very end; he told me that my "negativity" threw him off his plan and made it hard for him. He also then accused me of using multiple melee weapons on my crusader unit to get the volume of attacks to kill his scarabs, which was also annoying because it's all WYSIWYG and he watched me move stuff in and count the dudes and all that....

All that aside, knowing how thousand sons do their damage, Crusaders and Abhor would have bricked him very hard.

So bringing all my game experiences together, I am very happy with a lot of my units and about 1800 points of my army build. I think Crusaders would have given me the defensive boost to survive a lot of stuff (though just rolling the opposite of how I did on game 1 would have really helped too lol). I was worried about honour the chapter crutching  my damage output, and it kinda did for the lychguard, but acclamation works better on everything else. So maybe a swap to crusaders, drop the Libby and infiltrators for scout snipers and then idk.

After last weekends outings I've been working on grimaldus and the servitors, since they really helped out so much.

PXL_20230812_2018134633.thumb.jpg.e879c3fa65e845b27a92ea8105e47778.jpg

They're not quite done yet. I still gotta do some final highlights on the silver, do some script, some transfers on the banner, and the plasma pistol, but they're really almost there!

5 hours ago, Warden-Paints said:

Very nice, the servitors are quite intimidating, so many details. 

They're the old metal (well, these were finecast) ones so theres a lot more detail going on. Gave me some flashbacks to when I first started painting lol.

So those last few steps of course ended up still taking a bunch of time, but they're all done now!

PXL_20230819_1635540183.thumb.jpg.7506581bab24345adc07f36b1da23d98.jpg

PXL_20230819_1632153432.thumb.jpg.260ef532da0a7541c51914a58b46655a.jpgPXL_20230819_1633586092.thumb.jpg.25db4871ea7c292f95313430927902ec.jpgPXL_20230819_1634094302.thumb.jpg.7bfd0661ee5e66931df5b3054afe6588.jpgPXL_20230819_1634266792.thumb.jpg.d073bfa5fa4d3b79e5474ef27550f0d1.jpg

PXL_20230819_1634383052.thumb.jpg.d22ea23aedb95cf38e74dfc87c5d7b1e.jpg

I used some of Mighty Brushes decals on the banner and they turned out great, though they did take a few failed attempts before I figured out how to use them. I used some water soluble oils for the washing and they worked a bit too well; my older stuff has some noticeable residue that worked really well for the style, and this is a bit too clean. 

Oh also I finished of the crusader's sword bro while I was at it:

PXL_20230819_1633038122.thumb.jpg.34ee78f584583d52f6a5cc59b6cf420e.jpg

I might go back to the eye glow and red armour on him though, both feel a bit flat.