New codex datasheets in Shadow Throne

Rogue

So, Goonhammer are previewing the datasheets from Shadow Throne, which means we're starting to see what's happening with a few units - the broodcoven, neophytes and the new saboteur.

Here's a link: https://www.goonhammer.com/shadow-throne-datasheet-review/

Personally, I like the idea of better psykers (my current go-to is a Cult Psyche Magus with Crouchling), especially the punch it'll give up front with the Patriarch.

But then, I'm less convinced about the changes to the Primus. Between that and the new icon rules, we've gone from fairly easy access to hit on 2s, reroll 1s to just hitting on 3s, and that's going to hurt. (Unless we get it from somewhere else now, which is entirely possible.)

It looks interesting though, and leaves me looking forward to the codex itself...

Particularly with the crossfire rules (pending a full understanding of all the interactions, obviously).

Given that a three-shot seismic cannon has a 7 in 8 chance of landing a hit, and a pair of flamers have a 5 in 6 chance of 5 hits (or better), you could tool up with enough weapons to light up eight or so different targets with a single 20-neophyte brood coming up from underground.

A squad of 20 neophytes with shotguns, 4 flamers and 4 Seismic cannons would pump out a huge amount of damage, with an icon if they aren't obliterated in one turn they'll hang around for a long time. Shotguns do seem like the better pick if you'r deep striking units in, assuming autoguns don't get any strats or boosters from cult traits.

Crossfire opens up a lot of opportunites for GSC I think, even just to make Autoguns more reliable

Without any buffs:

12 shotguns, 24 shots, 12 hits, 6 wounds, one dead marine.

4 flamers, average 14 hits, 7 wounds, one dead marine.

4 seismic cannon, 12 shots, 4 hits (if moving), 3 wounds, 2 dead marines.

Four dead marines in total.

Or:

12 shotguns, 24 shots, 12 hits, 8 wounds, four dead skitarii.

4 flamers, average 14 hits, 9 wounds, four dead skitarii.

4 seismic cannon, 24 shots, 8 hits (if moving), 4 wounds, 3 dead skitarii.

Eleven dead skitarii in total.