Sisters and the great rift.

NemesorSobekta

Just curious, how did the sisters of battle on the wrong side of the great rift maintain their number or did they die out in the areas cut off from terra?

Supposedly all sisters must go to holy terra and take their vows on the grounds of they imperial palace. Now, with the great rift cutting terra off from half the imperium does this mean the sisters on the wrong side could not replace their numbers and died out since they don't seen to get the near immortality of space marines and couldn't ordain new ones, or did they do a work around that allowed new trainees to  take up arms and fight as SoBs but as "aspirants" and not officially full sisters until they could make their pilgrimage to terra?

They would be fully functional fighters on a battlefield, yes, just referred to as something like "aspirants" or "serving while awaiting their oaths"?

In the end the imperium is about one thing: Keeping humanity off the endangered species list. I'm sure in the areas cut off from terra a lot of compromises were made in the interest of saving humanity from extinction. If paying lip service to the requirement that sisters be ordained on terran had to be done, i'm sure they did something.

maybe each one has a bone taken from her body when she falls in battle that is saved to be taken to terra someday to retroactively represent her taking her vows on the grounds of the palace. Maybe some clever guy in the ecclisiarchy has a revelation and declares a tire by which sisters gather in a sacred chamber and preform a miracle that teleports their souls t terra to take their vows on the palace grounds.  Part of the rite could involve imbibing sacred wine lace with some miraculous potions that make the sisters open to suggestion and influence which allows them to believe their souls literally traveled to terra to swear their vows there.

I don't know perhaps that those on the other side of the rift are as significantly affected as the Argent Shroud, whose main territory was along the rift and much of it annihilated.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

I don't remember seeing anything about all sisters having to go to Terra to become full sisters.

Only thing I can think of, is that all Sisters aspire to visit Terra or Ophelia VII (depending on which of the Sainted Sisters their Order comes from) on a pilgrimage. Pretty sure sending new Sisters to Terra just to make them "offical" isn't very efficient. Even for a huge bureaucratic, nonsensical empire like the Imperium. Travel to Terra or Ophelia VII could take years, and sending Sisters off like that could mean the difference between holding a system and losing it. I dare say that each Order has a rite of passage for newly promoted Sisters in their Chapels.

• 3 weeks later...

Never heard of the sisters requiring to go to Terra.

Personally I see Imperium Nihilus as the home-crafters play ground. My own Order is based on "the wrong side" as you say but my head cannon has them coping fine.

• 2 months later...

This is a really cool idea for a campaign- the Novitiates are first sent from their individual Missions to Command HQ on the Shrine World of your star system; from there, they launch their Crusade. First they'd have to fight their way to a place where they could cross the Rift. You could have them fight their way to Vigilus so that they could cross the rift, and then fight their way to their Home Convent from there.