Neophytes conversion ideas?

I bought the black box and it should be arriving this coming week (supposedly, the shipping date has changed twice already), and I already don't want a return to the old style scout marines. Has anybody changed theirs up or know of some good conversion bits for the chest that will work with the legs and arms?

I've hidden all of the off topic replies that were ignoring the question that is being asked.

To be clear, are you asking about bits to convert old school Scouts into new-fangled Neophytes? Or are you asking about bits to convert new-fangled Neophytes into better looking new-fangled Neophytes?

This seems like a tall order and I’m confused. Maybe the idea is to convert them so they don’t look like scouts. Everything about them looks like scouts to me except they are taller and there appears to be a power cell in the back. It might be easier just to just some other kit… even Phobos armor possibly could work depending on the desired appearance. Hope this helps. :)

Brother Chaplain Kage is quite clear that it is the torso in particular which they want to change; that's understandable, as the rather chunky/hunched appearance of classic scouts has long been a topic of contention.

Given how modular the neophyte kit is, with torsos (front and back) being entirely separate, it seem plausible that there's an alternative out there somewhere. Sadly I don't know of anything specific myself. I imagine most of the other flexible kits like GSC/Skitarii would feel a little too small, so you might be looking at a third-party for replacements.

Goliaths could potentially work, but might require a lot of effort to separate their torsos from their legs and make the joins look seamless. 

Reiver torsos look like they could be cleaned up fairly easily. 

I don't know if they would be large enough, but MkIII Iron Armour torsos could potentially fit the bill. 

I'm also mulling over Neophyte conversions, but it's a tough venn diagram to hit that center point of Not Stumpy + Templar + Looks Cool. The torsos would be easy enough to chop at the waist, given BCKs depth of skillset. But what to replace it with is quite the chestnut to crack. After some thought on the matter and I actually like the idea of BloodBowl humans (Reikland Reavers - not the new human team) as Neophytes. Some gear and head swaps could make for a nice look!

Edited by TheOneTrueZon

If anyone wants to make great looking Scouts/Neophytes out of Marine and Goliath parts I'd heartily recommend checking out http://instagram.com/thetrappistfunk because his are positively stunning.

Rik

This is what I was looking for with this thread!

I'm also mulling over Neophyte conversions, but it's a tough venn diagram to hit that center point of Not Stumpy + Templar + Looks Cool. The torsos would be easy enough to chop at the waist, given BCKs depth of skillset. But what to replace it with is quite the chestnut to crack. After some thought on the matter and I actually like the idea of BloodBowl humans (Reikland Reavers - not the new human team) as Neophytes. Some gear and head swaps could make for a nice look!

The BB humans are a great idea but the Rekland Reivers seem to be unavailable on the GW store and people on eBay want a fortune for them. The newer human team, Burghof Barons or whatever, aren't suitable for this idea.

Seen some good conversions using mk7 helms and greenstuff to make the arms enclosed in a suit. If the main issue is the body maybe try mk7 torsos and the old power plants should be easy to distinguish from primaris crusaders as long as you aren't running any old marines elsewhere in the army.

It's mostly the torsos, yeah. I do have a bunch of old marine stuff that could work for this as well. And no old marines elsewhere on the table to throw off the scale since this whole Templar idea is going to be primaris. A friend of mine got me Helbrecht for xmas.

If anyone wants to make great looking Scouts/Neophytes out of Marine and Goliath parts I'd heartily recommend checking out http://instagram.com/thetrappistfunk because his are positively stunning.

Rik

Ermagherd, those are fantastic! And I have some Goliaths to work with! The normal problem of showing marines outside of power armor rears its ugly head with their body builder arms and legs being far larger than the limbs on the armored marines but it is what it is.