Sitnams Aeronautica

sitnam

Spent the off days of the holiday finally getting my Aeronautica started. Got my sons first three Dakkajets painted up, and hooooooo boy are these fun to paint. I tried three different rechniques for the yellow of each plane. First (the furthest left) is Iyanden contrast with a drybrush of phalanx yellow and pin highlighting of agrax earth shade. Second (middle) is Averland Sunset with a 50/50 Iyanden medium mix over it. Third is Averlandf sunset with undiluted Iyanden. I think I like the second the best, but my son and wife seem to like the purer yellow of the contrast only plane

med_gallery_63667_17252_183288.jpeg

med_gallery_63667_17252_402714.jpeg

med_gallery_63667_17252_415662.jpeg

Now onto those fighta-bommers

I like them all, I use averland but I put casandora wash over it then pin wash with Agrax …, overall I like the left one the best but that’s probably because you pin washed with agrax :-P

I look forward to seeing those fighta bombers !

And yes they are sooo much fun to paint !! :-D

Mithril

They’ll look great im sure!, I found when playing, unless you number your planes…. We tended to get them mixed up sometimes >.< from then on I painted every single ork plane a different colour so I’d know every plane on the table … but I never used decal numbers …. Like I think you have ;-)

Mithril

I wish I had that forethought, but no all my markings are just random Ork stuff. I will take note for other squadrons though

Speaking of:

med_gallery_63667_17252_221501.jpg

gallery_63667_17252_28773.jpg

I finished these on new years eve. Decided to stick with the pin highlights, I think that effect worms well with contrast. Now onto my Tau set.

Looking good !,

I really like the contrast effect of black canopies on the bomma’s … some wing leading edge flames help change em up too ,and are not too hard to do.

Watch it when using those Fighta bomma’s … they only have 3 wounds and I found myself having them get shot up quickly cause I barged em in … they look E’avy but they’re not ! (Also when playing, I choose to put big shoota’s on em as it really helps their front guns !)

Look forward to seeing more of your stuff, seeing this now encourages me to go finish my Xiphons!

Cheers Mithril

Appreciate the kind words! The wing flames were actually decals from the Ork transfers, I find Ork planes are really easy to plop on an assortment of different transfers everywhere.

The fighta bommas definitely feel like big brawlers, until you put them next to Marauders and Tiger Sharks. Stats wise they seem closer to Thunderbolts, though a bit faster. Hopefully I'll have a better feel for stats once I can get a game in .

Speaking of Tiger Sharks, I started on my Tau:

med_gallery_63667_17252_216351.jpg

I tried replicating a blue camo scheme I saw off YouTube, but with green. Turns out, when the presenter said to spray base it black, mechanics standard grey isn't a close enough substitute :whistling: . I dry brushed caliban, warpstone, and moot green for camo stripes, then to make up for the gray base I washed it with Coelian Green shade. Weapons and engines got darkened up with basilcanum grey, and the glass was hit with silver (I think iron breaker) with thinned out iyanden yellow ontop.

I thought I was gonna do more of the details, but one I did the squad markings I was pretty content to lay the brush down. I'm pumped to do the Tiger Sharks, their larger size will give me more room for camo stripes

Yay T’AU …. :-D

They look really good, I think the grey base might have been a blessing in disguise.

Cause of the green camo you have to fly them close to the deck…. Level one ! To get the most out of your scheme ;-D lol

More seriously though, some light chipping on the leading edges as master Ciaphas suggested may work too… as explained, just use some tiny bit of sponge (I use the pulled out foam from battle foam trays) pit paint on it and dab off most of it then dab tiny amounts on the the edges you’d like weathered /chipped, you have to be very judicious with these planes as they’re so tiny …less is definitely more here !

Cannot wait to see the big fish when you do em !!

Cheers Mithril

@Raziel: I saw your DA planes shortly before I posted mine. I'd suffice to say we used many of the same paints lol

I took yalls advice and decided to try sponging. The technique is pretty easy to do, although I think I went a tad too heavy on the silver. I don't have a non-contrast brown, so I used Cygor. It worked okay mixing it with grey seer. I'm pretty sold on the technique though, appreciate the recommendation

med_gallery_63667_17252_744762.jpg

Im not a T'au expert either, as far as how septs are organized. AFAIK T'au are one of the factions most likely to use camouflaged schemes for their units, so you can still be apart of a certain sept without sticking to a cetain scheme. From my limited understanding of T'au septs, I kind of like Day'lyth because they make hevay use of auxliaries, and I'm a huge Kroot fanboy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had finished these guys all up last month but had yet to post them:

med_gallery_63667_17252_664312.jpg

med_gallery_63667_17252_312852.jpg

I think in terms of painting, the Tau were the funnest, although I did like playing around with tape and decals with this guys. Even tried my hand at edge highlitghting (my pics might not show this well) and free hand drawing (Inquisition I on the Valks)

Im done with what I've had built so far, but hoping to get to my Necrons planes by summer. Got some Kill teams to finish up though!

Edited by sitnam